Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You don't really care for maths and statistics?

This is just someone refusing to engage with the scientific evidence because they are incapable of understanding it.

If you can't understand the evidence, then when you make a statement like 'for little benefit', it is a statement with no standing or foundation.

You are basically second guessing the data and expert decisions, while admitting you aren't able to understand the basis for the decisions.

No wonder you come out with nonsense about people going to prisons if that's where you are coming from.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I most certainly don't care about "the science", especially because "the science" can be made to fit any agenda you want.

My Mark 1 Eyeballs tell me that the world still hasn't collapsed due to covid, and quite frankly, that's all I need to know.

Someone needs to pay the price for locking me in my house and preventing me from travelling, it's as simple as that in my mind, lock him / her / them up.

Thankfully you and your opinions are in the minority now, circumstances have overtaken covid and the utopia that you keep pushing for is moving further and further away.

covid is over, and no amount of statistics is bringing it back, but unfortunately we're going to paying for the disgraceful behaviour of the last two years for years to come.

Post edited by DLink on

The world didn't collapse because of the restrictions. You're looking around as what protected you, incapable of understanding why it was there, and saying well we didn't need them because it wasn't so bad.

The rest of your post about "the science" and putting people in prisons is a deluded fantasy, an emotional rant not worth engaging with. You may as well rant away to the wind as think anyone serious here will give oxygen to it.

Nobody in Ireland will be going to prison for following international best practice from the WHO, similar measures to the CDC etc in a global pandemic. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,243 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Firstly we had two people who led the country and both made lots of stupid decisions. There was a multitude of people giving advice to these people. You had scientists and medical professionals who had our and the country's health as their primary concern and you had public relations advisors telling them what was the best thing to do for their careers.

Secondly we seen the horrific scenes in Italy which were frightening and harrowing. Nobody here wanted to see that happening in our country. It was a long time before we knew enough about this virus.

I was against opening up for Christmas 2020 and was proven right. You can go back and check the threads before then and you'll see me predict the number of infections which would occur by opening up for Christmas.

Can you tell me why I still have to wear a mask entering a hospital, my local GP's practice and nearly every medical facility in the country? Are all these medical people stupid?

Can you tell me what qualifications you have in the science and/or medical fields which bring you to the conclusion that these lockdowns were unnecessary?

There were mistskes made, lots of them from not shutting the country down earlier and preventing people entering the country without proper quarantine to continuing with lockdowns when it was not necessary in the eyes of the majority of scientists and medical professionals.

Fact of the matter is that in almost all instances the decisions made were done in good faith to prevent illness and death. Things may not have been much worse if there were no lockdowns but the expert advice at the time was to continue with lockdowns.

Let's not forget that one of the key components in making these decisions was the health service not being able to cope with the numbers if we didn't lock down. As soon as the threat to the health service went away the lockdowns eased off.

I personally have a sister-in-law and niece who still haven't fully recovered from this thing. They contracted it at Christmas 2020.

Looking for people to blame because you were locked down for a while, well I'd perceive it as somebody whose never had a hard day in their lives unlike people who lived through a couple of depressions where we were basically locked down by struggling to survive financially.

We got through it though and it made us stronger and more adepth at dealing with any crisis that came our way. I found the lockdowns easy. In this day and age with video calls, movie and TV streaming services and smartphones it was pretty simple to keep yourself busy and keep your mind off things. I was out every day walking my dogs as I have always done.

The only things you couldn't do were go visiting other people, go to pubs, clubs and restaurants. None of these things are necessary and with video calls it made it easy to stay in touch and see the faces of your family and friends.

It's pretty much over now for the regular person and you should go enjoy your life instead of harping back, being angry and sad about things. Learn from the past but look forward with positivity and intent.

One of the realisations for me from this thing was that I thought, despite not trusting them, politicians were in general pretty intelligent. I realise now that they certainly are not.

• Advertisement

More excuses.......

The only things you couldn't do were go visiting other people, go to pubs, clubs and restaurants.

Oh, you mean we stopped all forms of person to person social interactions, you know, the small, irrelevant things that make us human?

• How about not being able to go for a walk, cycle or drive ANYWHERE you wanted at ANY TIME?
    • How about not being able to SIT OUTSIDE on a big EMPTY beach?
    • How about not being able to SIT OUTSIDE on a park bench on a beautiful day while trying to have a sandwich during you "essential job" lunch break? Essential job.... Imagine, having to produce a letter to the dancing idiots to prove you worked in an "essential job".
    • How about not being able to TRAVEL OFF THIS DAMP PRISON ROCK that was full of people just waiting to point the finger at you for not toeing the line or call the guards for going to the supermarket in the next town over?

As for "protect the health service".... Was there ever a time when the health service wasn't up shít creek? Did we lock down in previous years on behalf of the health service?

Yes, people died from and with covid, and people had adverse reactions to covid, but so what?

Something is going to get you in the end, and some people are going to have adverse reactions, but that's no reason to lock us up. Plough on and get on with it, take your chances just like Sweden did.

We need to review our response as otherwise they'll do this all over again, and that can't happen.

I'm quite confident you never had a hard day in your life before COVID. The sense of entitlement in your post is extraordinary.

Just so you know, I've had a few hard days before covid, but I had lots of hard days during covid, same as many others I suspect.

And it's not entitlement, it's called living one's life. Decades of being able to do everything I mentioned in my last post, and I / we were expected to stop all of that overnight, and be thankful for it? Oh and whatever you do, don't complain about it, watch Netflix, be grand.

You're the person with a sense of entitlement, expecting me to lock down for something that most likely wasn't going to kill me, and most likely wasn't going to kill anyone else either.

On yer bike.

Now, when is the tribunal starting?

Do you understand that the vast majority of the country were scared as hell of this thing?

Iirc it was close to 94% that were in favour of the initial lockdown. That number diminished as time went by but it was still a very high number in favour of lockdowns before the first vaccine became generally available.

This is a democracy so the majority rules.

We didn't know in 2020 how bad this thing was and how many people it would kill. We collect data and make educated guesses off of them. We didn't have enough data in six months or nine months to make any sort of prediction about anything. It looked like old people were in more danger but younger people were dying from it too and we had to find out why that was happening.

I'm quite confident you never had a hard day in your life. What you'd consider a hard day wouldn't be anything of the sort to me and most people my age.

I had to live off of noodles, a decent meal was Dunnes Stores pasta and tomato sauce. We always ate well on a Sunday though with a proper dinner of potatoes, veg and normally roast beef. There was no money for the pub or fancy clothes. You bought two pairs of pants and two jumpers and t-shirts and one pair of footwear unless you needed boots or something for work and you stuck with them until they were pretty much worn out. There was no money for the pub anymore than one day per month.

I realise it wasn't that tough for everybody but for young people not long into their careers on crap money it was like that. I was trying to save money to eventually have enough for a mortgage, it was a struggle to save £500 per year.

I experienced all this as a young child too when my parents struggled to get the money to pay the mortgage. The last time I went through this was from about 2010 to 2014 I think but I was in much better shape financially at that stage so it wasn't that difficult.

So I was basically stuck at home for years with no internet, smartphone, Netflix etc. I didn't even have a dog because I couldn't afford to have one. I worked, went home to my two channel TV, slept, rince and repeat.

And you think the lockdown was tough. Lmfao.

Democracy put the government into office, but then they let King Tony pull their strings in the name of public health. After the first few months they should have relented, but no, they kept doubling down, for the craic almost. Unfortunately we have no way of voicing opposition to government decisions other than to protest, and guess what, protests were made illegal on public health grounds, and the media took the party line, so we couldn't complain, therefore we had no democracy.

Opinion polls are not a majority by the way, they are only an indication. They are organised by for profit companies and and they can be manipulated many different ways to get the desired result. It only counts as a majority if there's a proper, regulated, monitored vote, so 94% in favour of the initial lockdown counts for nothing.

As for having a hard life... I grew up in the 1980's, our house had an outhouse and no heating, I wore socks that were darned, and also wore hand-me-downs. I don't drink, and I wear clothes bought in Dunnes with vouchers I get from work at Christmas.

Anyway, back to covid... lockdown was tough for me mentally, it affected everyone differently. I absolutely resent the government locking me down for no good reason, and I don't care if you decide to "lmfao" at my "soft life", the government overreacted & overreached, simple as that.

Post edited by DLink on

• Advertisement

From what I can see of it the pre-vaccine and post-vaccine scenario is where things changed enormously.

We're at a point now where most people are vaccinated and boosted and the most vulnerable are absolutely vaccinated and have had multiple boosters. That's really where we've managed to get back to pretty much normal again.

If you look at the situation 2020, it was an absolute mess - and it was an unknown risk.

However, I would stick by my previous post - we need to be doing a lot more to understand how we handled it - what was useful and what was not or was an overreaction and how we can handle something like this again, or some resurgence of it, without causing the level of disruption that happened in 2020.

It's not an 'only in Ireland' issue either. It's something that's right across the board and we should be looking at what other countries did well and did badly too.

We've a much better understanding of the virus and how it's transmitted too, so we need put that into practice and make everything work smoothly again, both avoiding lockdowns but also avoiding outbreaks too. I really don't think we've learned the lessons on the simple stuff like adapting building ventilation systems and so on - I mean the schools in particular could have done with proper investment in that regard and it just didn't happen.

The focus should be about getting on with life and dealing with risks in a way that isn't causing disruption to people's lives. That's the only way forward on this really.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Got a text today from HSE suggesting I get another booster “as it had been 4 months since my last one.”

Bare in mind I’ve already had 4 jabs (because i am high risk at 32) and the virus twice - I don’t think im even bothered getting this booster.

feel like upon reflection we were sold a pup (excuse the pun) with the whole pandemic tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Simply living your life and going to visit friends and family or going to the pub/cinema/restaurant/coffee shop or gym is now considered “entitlement”. What a fcuking time to be alive eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

In the UK so probably here too, excess deaths are now higher than during covid, very little media reporting of it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Hindsight is an invaluable tool that no one had in 2020. Was it understandable that there was a lockdown at the start? Absolutely. But once it became clear where the threat with Covid lay, particularly with older and vulnerable people, our response should have changed accordingly which it never did. I’ve seen some posters on here mention ‘international best practice’. The fact of the matter is Ireland was an outlier in that regard and locked down for longer, for more prolonged periods and more severe restrictions imposed. If we remember the coveted NPHET and Government ‘levels’, many countries eventually functioned at a level 3 with indoor dining & pubs closed, adapted options re shops & barbers which remained open, schools open & instead of 5km travel limits - county travel limits. The response was solely focused on lessening the spread of Covid, without taking into account the severe societal impacts the restrictions would have, particularly as they dragged on. When the Covid vaccine appeared in 2021, people were offered a way out by taking it. What we know now is it doesn’t prevent transmission or infection but seems to have lessened the impact on hospitals. Multiple boosters should be questioned & vaccine passports for societal participation are criminal in my opinion. Taking a medicine of any kind should be done via informed consent of a medical professional and patient, period. A reflection and evaluation of what went wrong and right during Covid is vital for figure crisis going forward.

This is simply false medical misinformation about the vaccines

Multiple studies (Sweden, Qatar) have shown they provide signifcant protection against infection.

The protection was better against pre Omicron variants and wanes after 6 months hence the need for boosters.

This real world data shows why vaccine mandate were important.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35131043/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

What is the advice now in respect to prior infections and the timing in getting a booster vaccine? Is there any point waiting? Better to wait a few months or boost up for the next wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'm fully vaxed but I see no evidence today, that the vaccinations prevent infection or transmission, which was what we were all lead to believe initially would happen when rolled out.

We now live with the narrative that they stop us getting more severely ill.

Read the linked study above.

When the vaccines were rolled out - that is the data relevant to that period. Vaccinated people two thirds less likely to be infected up to 6 months from vaccination. That translates to many prevented infections and therefore transmissions.

There are other studies showing even if infected you clear the virus faster from your system and infectious for shorter period.

Today we have omicron - the vaccines arent as good a match for it, the infection protection isnt as strong, wanes faster and more time has elapsed since vaccination.

Unclear yet if the new bivalent vaccine will be more effective v Omicron.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CruelSummer threadbanned

• Advertisement

An excellent post.

Yeah on learning from it. There should be an emergency setup including a budget and people trained as immediate responders for situations like this. I'm not talking about scientists and medical professionals, I'm talking about organisers and people who set up anything that's needed. An instant response is necessary if we are to have any hope of getting on top of something like this quickly.

A big thing we've learned from this is how transmissible a virus can be. The day of the person attending work, or any activity with lots of people around, with sniffles and a cough can't continue. If this person wants to attend they should be forced to wear a facemask all day. This benefits both the employer and other employees in the workplace.

Nobody should be let into the country during a pandemic without being quarantined until such time as they are cleared. If we had done this from day one we would never have had a large scale spread of this virus. Decisions made like inviting in the Italian rugby fans, our skiers back from northern Italy and letting people off to Cheltenham without any need to even self-isolate contributed greatly to the spread of this virus. I'm personally aware of five places where outbreaks occurred started by people who went to Cheltenham.

There's lots of other stuff but that's just a couple off the top.

They aren't considered entitlements now by younger people is my point. It's all expected and the work ethic has diminished greatly too.

When I was young a visit to the cinema or restaurant was a very rare and special occasion. There were no coffee shops and a gym was a private place for wealthy people.

Between the ages of 10 and 18 I was in a cinema less than ten times and twice in a restaurant. I was in cafes a few times as well.

Anyone who grew up during the Celtic Tiger experienced a fantastic, unrealistic lifestyle and expect it to continue now when the money isn't there for it unless you want to be in heavy debt for the rest of your life and have nothing to pass on to your children when you are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Aren't you forgetting the years after 2008, worsening going into the European Debt Crisis in 2011 then slowly getting better from 2012 onwards? Plenty of people lacked spare cash for treats, enjoyment and entertainment.

A lot of people worked on farms in the past. Gyms are popular now because everyone has to sit still for 40 hours a week.

Going to restaurant/cinema was a rare occasion for me growing up as well so what? I wasn't stuck in a room or menaced into getting injected. Lockdowns are a cruel and unusual punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we call this 'progression', i.e. whereby younger generations experience a better quality of life than previous generations, and we re successfully fcuking it up at the moment!

whats wrong with peoples work ethic at the moment?

without the access to such goods and services, there simply wouldnt be enough jobs and economic activities to maintain our current state, by giving more and more access to these goods and services, we have greatly improved elements of our lives

the so called tiger was a scam of epic proportions, deregulation of our global financial system, which in turn flooded our planet with cheap credit, which was primarily used for speculation in property markets, effectively causing its hyper inflation, of which we now have no responses to....

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

It is not medical misinformation. It is a fact that vaccines do not prevent transmission or infection.

They confer protection to the vaccinated individual for a few months against infection, which has the by-product result of lowering transmission. They also reduce seriousness of illness.

They do not prevent transmission or infection. These are facts, not medical misinformation.

Multiple studies (Sweden, Qatar) have shown they provide signifcant protection against infection.

’significant protection’ is not prevention, and that protection waned.

This real world data shows why vaccine mandate were important.

Thankfully vaccination was not mandatory here, although we did have to endure the ridiculous vaccine passport fiasco that did not include a negative test option.

If they don't prevent infection, how in the studies did they prevent the infection of vaccinated so that the vaccinated were infected far less often than unvaccinated? That translates into prevented infections.

That's what significant protection means.

So how can an infected be prevented if the vaccines don't prevent invention?

You are using a nonsense definition of 'prevent', which is that if it doesn't 100% prevent it 100% of the times it doesn't prevent infection.

These are just pointless semantic games, not facts.

What really matters, in that it shows the scientific basis for the vaccine mandates \ passports.

Vaccines significantly reduced your chances of getting infected, of transmitting it, and of putting strain on hospitals if you did get infected.

Vaccine 'mandate' can relate to vaccine passports as per the below.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/vaccine-mandates#1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

The vaccines do prevent individual infection events. However, when the virus is raging through the population most people get exposed countless times. This is why pretty much everyone, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, got covid within a short period of time.

The vaccines would need to give high sustained protection to put a dent in the spread of covid, due to the highly infectious nature of the virus.

It didn't get to blocking herd immunity levels, but it's incorrect to say - pretty much everyone got covid within a short period of time.

Especially in relation to 2021 and the period vaccine passports were rolled out. This is borne out in the data from the Swedish study.

There was an Omicron surge, but if we're discussing rollout of vaccine passports, Omicron didn't exist yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yeah fair enough, I was talking about the Omicron wave this year as that affected a nearly fully vaxxed population. I recognise that the vaccines gave much higher protection against infection for the earlier variants. The majority of the population did get Omicron this year, that is clear from the infection rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

It is important to look at the period for which the claims were made for the vaccines to prevent infection. Typically these were 2 or 3 months post vaccination at best. The longer the time scale the lower the effectiveness of the vaccine. What this meant in practice in broader perspective, was that the vaccines reduced the risk of infection, transmission and severe disease rather than prevented those things altogether. While the case can be made that initially the vaccines may have saved some lives in the elderly and vulnerable group, same statement seems tenuous at best for other cohorts.     

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Advertisement