Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Income is Income unless it comes from the purse of every working man and woman out there to pay your income. Handing hundreds in cash to people is not a good idea. There should be some form of mitigation in place. We already overpay per capita in DSP payments. Now I have no issue at all with pensioners, carers etc but those on lifelong JSA shouldnt be able to get hundreds in cash and go spend it on whatever.

I was on the dole (JSB) about 14 years ago during the height of the last crash. It was 204.30 a week, and most of my payment went to the local pub. That shouldnt be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Whataboutery and deflection par excellence.

If Ruth Dudley Edwards is as powerful as that, the world is a scary place.

The ways in which people try to downplay and dismiss this abuse of our defamation laws by SF and MLMD are getting more desperate by the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Respectfully, you drinking away your dole money is not comparable to Child Benefit, where most people are going to use it to benefit their children. You're making a leap based on your own poor judgement and presuming it transfers into parenthood - and parents from Low Income Brackets.

Of course there are going to be those who abuse the system, or indeed drink their child benefit money away - but that means we need better Child Services and protections against abusive parents - which is what that would be, ultimately, than punishing the majority cases because maybe some people aren't good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't think a serious politics forum should be platforming these 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' style votes, that are so easily manipulated. It's a bit like claiming that The Wolfe Tones are the best band ever because a similar style public vote orchestrated it. Or a Liveline vote.

You should be embarassed, but I bet you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was using my own case as an example. I lived with an ex partner in ballymun (for my sins) for about a year and what I observed there really shaped my opinions of lifetime wasters. Getting up at 6am for work you would be alone at the bus stop and see all the cans etc about the place from the night before, especially on a dole payment day.

I vehemently and wholeheartedly oppose lifetime payments to anyone other than those who genuinely need it - carers, pensioners etc. In the absence of a time limitation (eg 5 years SW payment max in your lifetime 18-65), I believe some qualification in the form of food stamps would benefit.

For every "good" parent who spends child benefit on shoes or food or clothes for the child etc, there's a few others who put in in a savings account - ie dont need the money - or who waste it on items not for the child. Respectfully, watch the behavioral patterns in your locale on welfare payment days especially CB days and you'd see it for yourself.

• Advertisement

Now Francie, it made the mainstream media, but you think it isn't for a "serious" politics forum? The deflection gets funnier.

MLMD has made a serious faux-pas with her and her family's repeated defamation actions. She has drawn international attention to her and to this country in a way that doesn't reflect well on any of us. You can't just keep wishing that away.

As I said...not in the slightest bit embarrassed. Making the MSM is the bar now. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was also on the dole during that period and I didn't spend that money down the pub or eating in the chipper every night or on ski holidays or any of the other fever dreams that some people have about welfare recipients. I used it to live with as much dignity as I could during a difficult period in my life and was always grateful for having it.

Our individual stories are irrelevant though because the plural of anecdote is not data.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I would be embarrassed if I touted a vote of that caliber (the Indo were also all over it 😁) to prove my obsessions.

The facts remain here, all parties, and some serious business interests have taken redress measures when libelled or they felt they were, (I stand fully behind anybody's right to do that as a democrat) some have also loudly threatened to sue when faced with probes into their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And many times those actions have been vexatious. Using bottomless purses to stifle journalistic investigation and debate. No less with clan MLMD.

They do not like it up 'em.

How many Labre?

I see they have won quite a few.

Maybe the real lesson here is don't libel or tell lies if you don't want to be sued?

Was Varadkar and Troy threatening to sue 'vexacious'? Where does that bring them up to on the league table? 😁

Despite all the bull about 'fears' and 'chilling effects' it seems MSM is now begining to publish the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Just means everyone would have to use the voucher system to buy some of their food, clothes, fuel.

It wouldn't matter if you're well off or poor

Yep. But it does dimish the use of breast feeding

The cost of a meal from a chipper could feed a family for a few days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But these are just anecdotes and hearsay. Lurking about the local welfare office doesn't tell you anything except broad numbers - nothing about usage, no matter how much you want it to be. Plus, this is all talk about Dole "wasters", when the topic is Child Benefit - two completely different social and economic data-points. If you think introducing some extra layer of bureaucracy is going to somehow solve this Strawman Parent apparently too inhumane to buy nappies, clothes or whatnot, then by all means - provide an example of a country where it was introduced and worked. Cos otherwise it's just Hurling on the Ditch about some fantasy solution to a problem that debatably exists.

By all accounts, those who don't need Child BEnefits shouldn't claim it, but plenty of (what is often) mums need the income just to stay afloat. And no matter how much some might say "just get a job", a low-paying job won't pay for basic subsistence and the day-care needed to mind the kiddos while they work 50 hours in Spar.

Not everyone can breastfeed, for a host of reasons. It's more often a necessity than you might think, while its extreme expense a natural barrier to adopting it out of laziness or whatnot.

I think it is only Germany which has higher child benefit rates than Ireland.

Free school meals, free schoolbooks etc. are common in countries that pay lower rates of child benefit.

A new system for newborns which is directed at benefits for the child e.g. free childcare, free school meals, truly free education etc. would change the whole situation.

MLMD and Sinn Fein are using defamation law to kill stories. Ditto Wallace and Daly. They have been called out internationally for their actions. No amount of deflection can change that.

I don't disagree, the system isn't perfect; initiatives like Finland's famous "baby box", or systemic support for essentials would be better long-term than straight cash handed out - but money is simpler to organise than creating whole new systems and structures. But in the main, I object to this tedious Strawman tactic to demonise the poor and low income communities as those drinking away their benefits money, or walking into the social-services office with an open hand. Blather about ski trips and píss ups; more enervating than the sad reality of impoverished parents running to stand still. All cos of naked snobbery towards the areas of Dublin we all know they're talking about, by way of likely example.

Ditto Varadkar and Troy and the litany of FF and FG TD's who have sued or threatened to sue.

Why can you never see you are being fed a line?

I am positive sure there are journalists the world over afraid of losing their right to say or imply anything they want without redress and then there are good, ethical journalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Threatening to sue or even actually suing isn't an issue, you bringing up other parties is just whataboutery. It is the specifics of the MLMD situation which are the issue.

This is the third time she has taken High Court defamation proceedings since 2014 and the second relating to reports about the historic handling of sexual abuse allegations by Sinn Fein and the IRA. I'm not sure how being asked about this is defaming her, unless she was actually involved in covering up abuse. She is just trying to prevent the media from mentioning dirty parts of SFs history. It is constantly abusing the law in order to avoid being asked questions which she doesn't want to answer. Saying "but Varadkar..." changes nothing.

If you keep defaming, expect redress to be sought.

You cannot seriously be proposing that media can say what they want without redress...are you?

If RTE are correct they have nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It is up to her to prove that she has been defamed which is not yet the case. I don't see how a question about historical issues which most likely predate her membership of the party can defame her but that is for the courts to decide.

My point is that MLMD has a history of this which is why it has been flagged under SLAPP. It isn't the same as someone making a threat to sue, or even actually suing in a one off. I'm just pointing out the difference to your "but X" retort which misses the point.

And please ask stupid questions like that trying to undermine the other person, it's a pathetic level of debate.

Every party has a history of this. Ordinary people have a history of this. Business has a history of this. Celebrities have a history of this.

Seeing the usual crew trying to make it unique to parties/politicians they don't like = classic exceptionalism.

You are absolutely correct.

The only defence of what MLMD is doing is whataboutery, and it is whataboutery that isn't even relevant to what she is doing.

It is a pathetic response.

The facts are that internationally her actions have been recognised as being SLAPPs issues. No amount of whatabout Varadkar or more hilariously whatabout Ruth Dudley Edwards is going to change that.

The reality is, despite your words, there are drinks promotions in pubs on child benefit days, there are ski trips paid out of child benefit by wealthy parents, so at the very least there is a huge inefficiency in that public expenditure.

I never claimed there weren't abuses or inefficiency, and said quite clearly those who don't need the benefit shouldn't claim it - but all you're doing is talking in anecdotes and hearsay; who's taking ski-holidays exactly? What pubs? Discussion here does require a little more evidence than Joe Duffy adjacent nodding. You speak to it like it's bordering on institutional, casually ignoring the majority who'd use the benefits for its intended use, in favour of some casual prejudice against demographics other posters clearly spoke to. There's obvious classism going on, it's pretty blatant, that's my objection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Means testing is a huge inefficiency.

Simply giving cash to parents is one of the most efficient ways of getting money and support to families.

Where have they been recognised as SLAPPS actions?

Seems to me that it has been claimed it may be a SLAPPS action by a clearly selective body. Why is what Mary Lou did and Varadkar/Troy and a huge back catalogue of litigious TD's across the board who have sued/threatened different? Can you explain please?

• Advertisement

Not a single public commentator (excluding those linked to SF) has said it is anything other than a SLAPPs action.

Maybe you could get Roy Greenslade to write an opinion piece telling us it isn't a SLAPPs case.

Not going down the road of addressing your whataboutery, but the aim of MLMD's actions are clear - to prevent public discussion. That is why they are SLAPPs cases.

Advertisement