Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

You’ve gone from this;

The main factor is that we are in the middle of a demographic shift.

to an a la carte of this;

“(A) More older people leads to more deaths. 

(B) the increase in numbers leads to pressure on medical servics which leads to worse outcomes which leads to more deaths.

(C) Covid, long covid, delayed diagnoses also feed into (B) as extra pressure”

(A) has already been adjusted in that instance.

At least you’re acknowledging delayed diagnoses, most likely because the Taoiseach has been forced to confront it himself and it can’t be rationally argued against.

It’s not difficult to find excess deaths by month for periods during Covid where there were no excess deaths outside of a wave. Nothing new in hospitals not keeping pace if intake is high.

And the population did not age 15% in one year - it was over a five year period.

We may almost be in agreement wrt patients presenting late with acute problems, but I suspect we disagree on who is responsible for so many late presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The article says...

He has also warned that the Nisra figures have yet to reflect the "lag" of delayed cancer diagnoses.

It could take another three to six months to translate those into statistics, he added.

And as regards your addition to this post, what do you suppose is the reason for delayed ambulance response? I put forward that it is likely absences due to Covid guidelines, basically staff and funding shortages on account of …. Covid management policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The main factor is that we are going through a demographic shift. Nothing in my followup post in contrary to that position - I was explaining how an increase in older people can lead to deaths over and above the population increase. A feedback loop.

I posted link earlier showing how in 1 UK region there were increased deaths due to ambulance delays. Now factor in A&E delays. Nationwide.

You say nothing new - as if you have closely followed these matters for the last decades. There have been excess mortality spikes in the past, nothing to do with lockdowns.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The low IQ one dimensional thinking for TWO YEARS around COVID was absolutely incredible and more rigid and dogmatic than the worst excesses of religion. From the WHO down. Absolutely depressing. A pathetic failure of leadership. We are now reaping the excess deaths and other fallouts from suspended cancer screening programmes, people scared to get symptoms checked out, mental health and developmental issues. Excsss climate change deaths? In Ireland? From what, drowning? Give me a break.

• Advertisement

This is why you won't be happy with a tribunal.

It won't give you the only answer you will accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

But if it roasts King Tony, it'll make a whole load of us smile 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I should add, that's still no reason not to have a tribunal..... "Some of the peeps on boards.ie won't like the results no matter what the outcome is"

Have the tribunal and let the country decide whether it agrees with the results or not.

Lessons need to be learned no matter what we say on boards FFS.

Any reason to argue against the tribunal that the country deserves.

Being utterly pointless seems reason enough.

But hey it didn't stop us before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Here's that renowned right wing conspiracy theory paper The Guardian highlighting excess deaths from cardiac arrests and the impact that the pandemic has caused on all heart care services in Britain.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I have two left feet.

I learned to dance by watching video clips of the overwhelmed employees of the Hospitals and Garda ( and other civil servants) .

I learned that there is "Science" and "The Science". I wondered why the Hospital staff and Garda /civil servants had time for these shows during a ...........AH! Forget about it! Trust "The Science".

Maybe because people don't work 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Certainly not when the government shuts down their entire industry they don't.

Imagine thinking that an independent review of a major government response is a bad thing. If that opinion was coming from somebody who mattered then I would wonder what they were so desperately trying to hide.

No idea why you think it would be bad. I said it would be pointless based on previous tribunals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'd like to get to the bottom of a few things in particular.

Were doctors at the beginning directed by the HSE not to treat the virus, just make the patient as comfortable as possible? This was alleged by certain doctors at the time? Doctors who were then treated appallingly afterward.

Who was the person ultimately responsible for the retirement home deaths? We made this mistake twice, we had higher death rates as a result.

How did HSE management treat the doctors who were vocally opposed to the severe restrictions?

Though many of us are unaware, we were subject to quiet a lot of censorship over that period.

You can see how easy it is to fool Irish people, just tell them the sun is killing loads of us and no one will ask questions or the R rate is a vital data point that also conveniently distracts us, I could see that snake oil salesman Luke O'Neill giving a performance on the witness stand, I could nearly imagine people genuflecting to TH as he takes the stand...we can only hope that other countries get to the bottom of all this, we certainly won't!!

In addition, I’d like the procurement processes to be made transparent and public, and an investigation into whether any of our politicians or NPHET members profited.

Other countries have uncovered such despicable behaviours and there’s no doubt in my mind there are chancers out there that got fat off the backs of dodgy dealings (in the middle of a pandemic!).

Also I’d quite like to see ISAG reined in more. Anthony Staines should not be let near a media outlet - but they seem to be gearing up for a full onslaught advocating more restrictions for this winter.

Ya ISAG got way more media exposure than any doctor or individual who vocally opposed the strict lock downs....interesting that, given we are now beginning to admit the consequences of those severe restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

There have been suggestions that the excess deaths are caused by things such as heatwave, ageing population etc. These were attempts to explain this phenomenon at the national level i.e. in UK or Australia, at least from what I saw. The phenomenon of excess deaths however affects many countries and is quite prevalent in Europe. For clarity we are talking about non-covid excess deaths.

It is a very complex issue that needs to be considered from various angles. We could attempt to understand by framing the problem differently and instead of asking ‘What causes it?’, ask ‘What does not cause it?’. It is a simple rule of inversion and exclusion.

We could test the first hypothesis of heatwave. Sure enough countries such as Spain or Greece may have been affected by it and a substantial number of the excess deaths could be possibly attributed to it in the period when heatwaves occurred in those countries. However, if we look at the Nordic countries who while not exposed to the heatwave as much as the southern countries, still have had substantial excess deaths this year. With an exception of Sweden that is. Has Sweden avoided the heatwave while Finland and Norway haven’t? More locally, can we justify the fact that 24,400 excess deaths (cardiovascular causes mostly) have been reported in UK since May this year while the official number of days attributed to heatwave was something like a total of 13 - June (3), July (3) and August (7)? Can heatwave cause deaths in weeks before, during and after it occurs? Can 13 days of excessive temperature cause a total of 6 months of excess deaths? I'm sure we all can use a common sense to answer those.

The ageing population hypothesis. The unexplained excess death started to occur rather suddenly. Depending on a country in Europe they kicked in in Feb, March or April. One would have thought that ageing population is a slow and steady process that does not happen ‘over night’. It typically takes a decade or so to see any meaningful change. It has never before changed in a step-like way. More importantly however the excess death phenomenon is not confined to elderly only, it affects all demographics with ‘spikes’ occurring even in the newborn cohort (https://www.scotsman.com/health/scottish-government-orders-review-as-neonatal-deaths-higher-than-expected-3863538).

While both hypothesis are somewhat reasonable and could be applicable to some of the countries with some additional caveats/assumptions, I cannot see how they could have caused such a substantial excess in unexplained deaths across many countries.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

With respect to excess deaths, what really needs to be investigated is the relative change in cause of death for each cohort, for example if historically heart disease(myocarditis) was at 10% and is now 20%, then we need to know why.

I do not know what these figures actually are but these changes in death patterns need to be investigated, along with the claims that there has been an increase in "unknown" cause been recorded.

The problem is that while immediate cause of excess death is relatively easy to establish, the contributory causes are not.

• Advertisement

Just to note, your reply in no way answers (or is a reply to) what I asked.

It's been explained multiple times there are a variety of factors in play. So why you keep looking for a single cause I have no idea. No one has said that the excess deaths are solely due to aging or heat waves. That's a strawman. You can die months after some issue like covid, or heat stress, causes a cascade of other problems. Long after what ever triggered the cascade is gone. A trigger like a pandemic can have different repercussions in different countries for a variety of reasons, for example how robust their health service is. It has less effect in wealthy countries with a good health service, than those that aren't wealthy and/or have a good health service.

This is all reported by the reports and research looking into the excess deaths.

It's been frequently commented in the articles none of these in themselves happen overnight. But where say emergency response (Golden Hour) from an ambulance is required shortage of resources is having a significant impact. People are not going to A&E due to crisis of resources there. People aren't going to GP's for checkup and early intervention because of the resource crisis there. Obvious all other associated appointments, with consultants etc are delayed.

I agree with you on that there are multiple factors at play, all at the same time. I said the very same thing in other discussions on other threads. However if we look at the outliers i.e. Sweden for example, they do not have the excess deaths to report. What have they done differently?

While it is a very strange what is happening wrt the excess deaths, it is even more bizarre to see no interest from the mainstream media. I mean, they were diligently reporting on covid deaths on a daily basis. What is it about these unexplained excess deaths now that they do not care about?

Is there trustworthy information about the rate of excess death in Sweden?

There are two sources that I have looked in:

https://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?queryid=104676

How trustworthy they are? Sweden were put to the sword by the media for ‘purging their grannies’ at the beginning of the pandemic based on the data provided by these two source. It was good then, I presume it still is sound enough for the purpose of comparative analysis.

Thank you, it's hard to find trustworthy data, everyone will have bias worked in to the numbers.

I vividly remember how Sweden were portrayed in the media at the time...I remember some posters were encouraging people to wait a few years before they rushed to judgement, they weren't listened to...

Gov Ron deSantis in Florida is one who caught my attention too, he was the first Gov, of a major state (Florida is the 3rd most populous state) to drop all restrictions in Sept 2020, I remember how viciously the media went after him (that is a strong indicator he was doing the right thing), round the clock negative stories...now, I wouldn't particularly trust his data either, but he is going to the polls next week, he will be judged on his policies particularly his Covid policies, we will get to see how one of the most populous States in the US, who lived a much different 2 years than we all did, think about their Governor.

Reflection on "pandemic" is that so far two camps have emerged from the pro mandate, pro lockdown, branch covidians aka the majority of the population.

Those who are already scrubbing and deleting their comments, revising their positions and trying to distance themselves from advocating lockdowns, mandates, coercion and thinking that a cloth mask was actually doing anything etc etc etc. It will become unfashionable for people to say they were in favour of coercing and balkanising a large portion of the population who had broken no laws - just like the way people distance themselves from Catholic Ireland even though they all went along with it.

Then there are those who are still digging their heels in still trying to argue their positions in the abstract that "vaccines prevent .0143% chance of infection based on a study out Sweden or somewhere" because they invested so much in their online positions and went so balls deep that they would lose too much face to admit they were wrong.

The reality was that covid was real, but it wasn't as remotely dangerous as it was portrayed and Governments around the world overreacted in a dangerous way.

Another interesting question would be; why has the CMO, Deputy CMO and CEO of the HSE all resigned???

I only looked "why" when others asked about France and the UK excess. Any article I read banged on at length about systemic problems with their health infrastructure, basically in crisis before the pandemic and being compounded by it. A lot of resources still being consumed by patients with COVID or other long term triggered by it. Bed blocking is a problem due to long term patients. They entered the pandemic already in crisis.

When I look up Sweden it enviably talks about best in the world health infrastructure with plenty of resources which deliver far higher bang for buck than do other countries. So they weren't in crisis before or after the pandemic. So better able to handle increased demand.

Until I read these reports on excess I didn't realize that new COVID cases are still causing resource issues in hospitals.

As for the media. I expect they find it hard to make click bait stories on something that's not easily understood. Also health service seems to be in permanently in crisis. Thread thread is mostly ignoring it. So maybe the media are right.

• Advertisement

Did they see much much sun in Sweden I wonder, or a mild Oct even!!!

Advertisement