Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted Kidnapping of Nancy Pelosi & Assault of Paul Pelosi

Options

Comments

I think you left out an 'm' in the middle of Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I never said they were. As usual, you're putting words in peoples mouths. I meant in regard to laying ideological blame, which both sides are doing.

A Democrat recently killed a young man because he was a "right wing extremist", a Republican politician was shot only a few years ago for similar reasons. There was the firebombing of the detention center by some lunatic who claimed to be an Antifa member, and the case of the disabled teen who was kidnapped and tortured and forced to say "**** trump", and "**** white people". And those are the ones just off the top of my head, so save your holier than thou nonsense, as it only shows how rose tinted your glasses are.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 82,492 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The irony of this whingy post that only attempts to politicize and smear.

The OP dealt exclusively with the straight facts of the case.

You clearly thus far have been unable to refute those facts - best to sit in the corner and complain that it's my fault Nancy Pelosi was targeted by the same right wing rhetoric that's been getting called out for months (and years) as efforts to drive Stochastic Terrorism. It's surely my fault the man confessed to being wrapped up in these staunchly anti-democrat party grievances driven by the right, so far that he wanted to break her kneecaps and have her wheeled into congress as a chilling political message. That's a fact.

Just last night, another Democrat politician running for a state position was attacked and bloodied at his home. I'm sure there's no relation huh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I think it's the most logical explanation - the man was there by invite.

How would a man in his underwear, armed with a hammer, break into the house of the 3rd most powerful person in the US government? And there is no CCTV footage?

If he was there by invite why shatter the glass.

There's nothing logical to your theory.

See post #9 in this thread.

Try reading the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I have read the thread. How does the house have no alarm or working CCTV? some of the details here don't add up.

Secret Service would ensure her house was well secured, even if she's not home.

North Dakota Highway Patrol Capt. Bryan Niewind told Fox News Digital earlier that there was "no evidence" suggesting that the teenager was part of a "Republican extremist group" or that the incident was politically driven.

There appears to be some doubt this man killed anybody over an issue of political extremism.

Whatever about the baseball shooting (by a Bernie supporter), it was one of the very, very few times my Congressman (R) spoke out against stochastic violence and political rhetoric. And then again, he continued to whistle past every graveyard post that date if it was an attack on a Democrat. He still hasn't said a peep about the assault on Pelosi. He never said anything about the MAGA bomber either. And he was at that baseball game. He was shot at. Last november he even voted No on a house resolution condemning violent rhetoric of politicians.

I don't know how you fix it then. The people most likely to be shot and killed by this rhetorizing are the same ones happy to carry on with it.

You have written nearly 1000 posts using the name Real Donald Trump, and you're telling people to grow up because, in your mind, they have a fixation on Donald Trump.

Do you see anything odd about that?

My house doesn't have alarms or CCTV - Why do I need CCTV watching me scratch my ass, make eggs, take a ****, have a ****?

Are you saying you know for a fact there's no CCTV either way? I haven't seen a report they lacked CCTV. I've only seen Megyn Kelly giving out she'd love to see the CCTV so maybe they had it.

Are they obligated to show it to us? Wouldn't that give the public intimate details about the layout of the Pelosi home, making it less challenging for someone to pull off an attack there?

You've abandoned the point there about why he smashed the glass in if he was invited so.

Apropos to 'both sidesing' this attack

Republican strategist goes on TV to discuss how folks like him have the "original sin" on this issue

Appearing on Tuesday’s Alex Wagner Tonight, former Republican National Committee Communications Director Doug Heye said he bears some responsibility for helping foster the current political climate. [...]

“It’s been a time-honored tradition for Republicans to use San Francisco and New York City where you are, Washington of course, where I am, as shorthand for coastal elites and things like that.”

Heye then recounted a RNC meeting he participated in on the day Democratic Rep. Gabby Giffords was shot and wounded in 2011:

The call, as I remember it, was one of really somber tones, making sure that the statements we put out, whether it was from Republican National Committee or from John Boehner’s office – he being now the new speaker of the House that point – that we set the right tone and say the right things. And this is also the really important part: that we make it clear… to our members, members of the House Republican conference or… the 168 members of the Republican National Committee to not say anything inflammatory, to frankly not say anything stupid.

Heye then contrasted that with some Republicans’ response to the Pelosi attack:

It’s a punchline for some Republicans or some of the so-called conservative pundits who dabble in selling vitamin supplements on TV [Alex Jones]. And the My Pillow-ization of the Republican Party and so forth. That’s unfortunate and that’s why I hope more Republicans will speak up.

He referred to a Wapo op ed he wroteon this topic, here's the link (free): https://wapo.st/3UlCZHg

“As I said in the piece, I think we have original sin here,” Heye continued. “Part of that is our language towards Barack Obama, Michelle Obama for that matter as well, and the questioning of citizenship and religion, and so forth. And then also, obviously, with Donald Trump in what alternately culminated in Jan. 6. I think Republicans should be more mindful of that.”

He later added, “I’m scared of what’s going to happen next.”

• Advertisement

Live speech of POTUS about the attack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

updating as I watch sorry about this. Joe has it right both sides.

Edit Joe does the right thing appeals to all Americans Republican or Democrat. This is what needed. It's a very good speech so far.

Edit he's nailing it of the people by the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Just last night, another Democrat politician running for a state position was attacked and bloodied at his home. I'm sure there's no relation huh

Strange how there was no political violence whatsoever in the US before Trump came along. Oh wait................

With respect, you are not the third most powerful person in the United States.

Don't you find it somewhat slightly bizarre that, in the current febrile political climate in the US, that the third most powerful person in the US did not have CCTV or alarms at their house - the most rudimentary forms of security and, given their vast wealth, it wasn't exactly beyond their means to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Pelosi house does have CCTV, and the tapes are being reviewed. However it wasn't actively being monitored at the time because Nancy Pelosi wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's very unusual that a weird man like that could readily access the home of the 3rd most powerful person in the US, without alarms going off - especially in the prevailing climate since January 4, 2021.

Again, because Nancy Pelosi herself (the 3rd most powerful person in the US) wasn't there, there was little-to-no security, and CCTV wasn't being actively monitored. The house also doesn't have huge grounds etc, it's located in a very built-up area and just off the public street/footpath.

But presumably that's not sufficient.

Even if the house was empty, there is always a risk to the property of Nancy Pelosi - even from arson, given the hatred that some MAGA supporters have for her.

There were always risks to her husband, too, as we have just seen.

Moreover, the lunatic who entered the home presumably didn't know that Pelosi wasn't there, yet entered anyway.

I think the risks are too high only to have security when Pelosi was there.

• Advertisement

Your incredulity doesn't change what happened.

Your argument is completely circular. "There's risk of damage to the property even without Pelosi there" - The security is for Pelosi herself, not the property, and Pelosi wasn't there. "There were risks to her husband as we have just seen" - There weren't any immediate or on-going risks or threats against Paul Pelosi, any more than there ever would be. You're saying "as we have just seen" after the fact. "The lunatic presumably didn't know Pelosi wasn't there" - He was able to enter far more easily specifically because there was far less security because Nancy Pelosi wasn't there.

The argument you keep making is centered on Nancy Pelosi being the 3rd most powerful person in the US political system, but the simple fact is she wasn't there and therefore security was with her, not the property or her husband (because security for family members doesn't extend to Pelosi's family the same way it does to the POTUS or VPOTUS families).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It seems to just be a hook up that went very wrong.

So you think the guy who did it confessed to breaking in for the purposes of wanting to kidnap and assault Nancy Pelosi, and assaulting Paul Pelosi with a hammer after Paul Pelosi tried to raise the alarm for help, and therefore is likely facing several years in prison (possibly 20+ years), not to mention he was caught on CCTV using the hammer to break in through the glass doors, all to cover up "a hook up that went very wrong" based on zero evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

It's best to ignore anyone who tries to argue the Pelosi house, whether occupied or not, wasn't as secure as Fort knox. God knows how much highly confidential documents and expensive items are littered about the place. Paul himself is a multi millionaire and public figure. Thinking he doesn't require any security is even more laughable. We already for fact the place was secure because the cops are reviewing the tapes.

I don't believe there was any homoerotic behaviour involved myself but any reasonable person would pause for thought after reading the report details. It's not a fabrication of reality that the perp was arrested in his underpants. So there has to be footage of the man walking towards the house in underpants holding a hammer. He may have took the hammer from Paul but who plans on breaking into a house and kidnapping a government official in nothing but a pair of jocks.. All signs point to him being a mentally unstable nut job. The security footage needs to be released so people know for sure what happened in this crazy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭paul71

"Mentally unhinged nutjob".................... in other words anyone who listens to Tucker Carlson.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

There is clearly CCTV on the house you can actually see it from media outlets photos reporting on the incident. Thats if it is the red brick house?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This strikes me as being one of those instances where having a firearm to hand would have probably proven more useful than having a mobile 'phone to hand.

I wouldn't read too much into the alarms being off. Most of us don't have the alarms set when one of us is at home, though I do admit to being a bit surprised that there is no protection for Pelosi's immediate family. On the other hand, budgets are a thing, and the USSS can't afford to protect everyone and their next of kin.

Advertisement