Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭deezell

I'll have to look back at previous posts, search on new boards interface is useless, but looking at that image, is that an earth wire into terminal 3? I hope not, If its actually grounded it could have fried the relay for that CH channel. This is the backplate for a Drayton wiser kit 3 3 zone?

Is this the backplate after your new hub fitted? Can you post the #number of previous posts you made on this? I'm trying to find what I said before, or what system you previously had. I'm seeing Live and Neutral, and a selection of wires that looks like the cores from a single zone valve, black orange, plus a grey/red and an earth. Each of these when live should open a zone valve and fire the boiler, if that's what you previously had.

Ok, Ive just had a look back on a PC when I got home, I was away for a few days. I see you origonal post, you had a CTC timer.

"i have 2 zone plus hot water (current one is from CTC brand). I bought drayton wiser 2 zone plus hot water kit. I rang many electricians to install this for me but all refused as they had not heard of this brand. Finally one person agreed to help me out but he has never installed drayton wiser before."

Can you confirm that your Drayton system has Two wall Stats. On you previous CTC timer, could you heat Down only from the ctc controller. Its a pity I dont have an image of the old CTC backplate wiring. Can you check your system to confirm you have three Zone valves, each operating when you select boost on the hub, or from the app. Each of these wires from terminals 1, 2 and three shoud go live when the app switches on each if the two HW or the CH.

If the hub is powering the valve for downstairs, and the zone valve is opening, the only reason the boiler wont fire is if the downstairs live from the zone valve relay to trigger the boiler is disconnected, or the relay is faulty. The valve opens, but Downstairs will only heat if the upstairs is also triggered, and providing a live to the boiler. I assume the electrician did not change any other wiring, just swapped the two controllers. The frst thing to check is if eac zone valve is opening independently. If down stairs is not heating when upstairs only is selected, it would appear that the down stairs valve is operating, but not firing the boiler via its relay, and has become dependent onthe upstairs heating zone, or HW, to be on at the same time. This may have been the case before you changed the controller, or was introduced durin the wiring installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

yes i had ctc with 2 zone up and down and water heating.

i was able to switch down only on or up only on or hot water only on from the ctc wall panel before the change over.

but now i am not sure where went wrong.

electrician came back to check the cables and he was confident he had wired as per the drawings.

he had written down the color of the wires and he just mapped straight as before for drayton.

i tried contacting the support even they are puzzled.

the 2 old wall thermostats have been removed now.

i just have 2 drayton thermostats.

i tried to get some help of facebook drayton group but even they were puzzled.

i am not sure if i can get any Drayton expert electricians here in ireland

with great difficulty i had got this electrician and now after 2 visits i am sure he is not happy to come back :-(

Swap terminal 1 and 3, see does the problem reverse or stay the same.

• Advertisement

played around a bit with the heating controls.

looks like a wiring issue: what i was able to identify is

switch channel 1 (down) - hot water is on

switch channel 3 (uP) - downstairs rad is hot

switch on hot water - upstairs rad is on.

i need to try this again tomorrow - just to confirm wiring is wrong.

not sure if the electrician would come back..he will definitely give out to me and charge a call out fee

It's just two wires need to be swapped. Sparks should have checked the function of each Switched Live wire to It's valve, one for each, to be certain of which cable went live for which zone, especially the HW one, as these timers are often just three zone without a specific or labelled one for HW. A few minutes before he left would have confirmed the mistaken wiring.

swapped the wire myself

its all working fine now.. thanks a mill for the guidance

couldnt get the electrician who installed at the first place.

so i swapped the wires myself. first time playing with the electric cables.

but switched off the power for the whole house and did the job.

• Advertisement

You did good. You'll get a kick out of everytime you tweak the settings, knowing you diy'd it.

thanks @deezell

next step is to replace TRV.

do we need a plumber to replace try as some of the youtube videos show we need to release the air?

also the current try is horizontal where as the drayton ones are vertical

Smart TRV heads will work horizontally or vertically. If you're replacing an existing TRV head, then no plumbing required. The old head is held on in 95% of TRV cases by an M30 screw ring, so its a straight swap. Drayton comes with a couple of adapters, and they have a full selection of other adapters for odd ball TRVs. https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/lm07-019_schneider_wiser_adapter_guide_2020.pdf

Have a go at taking off the manual TRV head and putting it back on. It's a doddle. Youtube your friend

Every home should have an air bleed key for your radiators, and give them a vent every year or so, or if they're not heating across the top. Any hardware store will have them, but don't force the key if its really tight. Spray with some WD releasing fluid and leave for a while. If the rad is hot to the top, don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody have a Drayton wiser system and have issues saving thermostats to a particular channel. I set up my system months ago and checked the were all on correct channel. Started using the heating today and was checking the channels and noticed nothing was on channel 1. When I try to save room thermostats or TRV's to channel 3 there's no issue. If I try to save to channel 1 it won't save to the controller and they are on "none" when I go back on. Have contacted Drayton and fear I'm going to have to reset the controller which would be an annoying waste of time, setting up schedules again afterwards :-(

channel 1 disappearing is a known defect with the app.

the support team can see channel 1 being saved in the cloud. so not to worry on channel1

this was confirmed during my 2 day marathon calls with the drayton support :-)

thank you.

i do have the allen key for bleeding the radiator. its a new build house and recently had to bleed a few rads.

also one of them was not responding to bleeding. so had to flush out the rad by closing all rads on the floor and just keeping the problem rad on. it then got hot.

i have removed the trv and put it back during this process of getting the rads hot. if its straight forward swap then i should be ok. thanks

Thanks for that. I was wondering because I realised after my post that the system was performing as it should. As I checked such radiators were warm and cold when I was going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Finally got around to installing my Tado setup and have to say their instructions are really good. They made it very simple to remove the NEST heatlink and rewire everything into the Tado Receiver. The smart TRVs were also super simply to install. Im still tweaking everything to find the right balances but very happy with it so far.

Lots of Happy Shiney people here, it's great. Now carefully clean and pack up your old Nest and it's Heatlink hub, (with luck you might have the original fancy box,) and sell it for a premium on Donedeal. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I do thankfully, gonna be putting it up next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

I was here a while ago looking for advice on thermostatic valves for the radiators. I have a hive thermostat up and running, just one zone for the whole house. I'm looking to get the smart TRVs installed and I was initially thinking of the HIVE smart TRVs.. But one problem I have is that some radiators are tucked behind furniture, couches, tables, beds.. I imagine it will be difficult for them to get an accurate reading.

Surely it'd be an extra cost, but are there any smart TRVs on the market that come with individualised thermostats which hang, for example, on the wall and which communicate the true temperature to the radiator valve. Basically I'm thinking some sort of system where I buy 5 smart radiator valves and 5 thermostats. Each smart radiator valve would look to their thermostat on the wall for the temperature and direction in terms of increasing/decreasing hot water flow to the radiator..

Or has anyone else solved this problem somehow?

Tado can do that. You buy the more basic trv, and the wireless stat sensor. About €150 per set, but you'd need to change your main setup to Tado.

Its possible hive can do this in its configuration, slave the trv to a nearby wireless stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Looking to do some minor upgrade on my heating system. Single zone 20 year old system, Grant external oil boiler with old fashioned APT style on/off/clock unit to control. Have existing TRV on my radiators so was looking to swap these out for Tado smart TRV. These are straight forward I guess. Was then looking to upgrade the APT style controller to smart controller also that we could turn on/off/setup via app, etc. Would the Tado smart controllers work here and if so what one would suit me? Any advice appreciated to steer me in the right direction.

Is your Hot Water heated from this boiler. If so can you heat HW only without CH

Hot water for sinks, showers is immersion on cylinders. This has a similar APT on/off/clock control unit. Could upgrade this as well.

If your cylinder is not connected to the CH hot flow, this will require a decent amount of plumbing retrofit to bring the boiler flow and return up to the cylinder. The cylinder may have an unused heating coil, unless it was only ever an immersion heated cylinder. If it's an old bare copper type with a lagging jacket. You would have to consider an upgrade to a modern insulated type.

Meantime, you can easily upgrade your CH only system with the addition of a Tado wireless extension kit receiver wired in place of the APT, with the wireless wall stat mounted in the hall or living area. You can then add Tado TRVs to replace the manual ones and thus increase your zonal control of the CH system. No plumbing required at this stage, but the Tado receiver has a spare HW relay to switch HW zone valves should you decide to upgrade HW.

Later you can consider coupling your boiler to your HW cylinder. If your boiler is 20+ years old, it might be time for a condenser boiler upgrade, though perhaps your Grant is one of their first condensers, the Vortex, which went on the market about 2001. Given the uncertainty over oil, you might be better getting solar panels to aid heating your HW in a future plumbing upgrade.

Thanks for that. CH for the moment only is what im interested in. Was going to put smart TRV on first floor area (5 rads) and leave the downstairs traditional TRVs for the moment although might go mad and do them all. This would give me two zones which is better than I have at the moment.

@deezell thanks again for assistance in the selection and install of my wiser system a few months back. Only having to use it the past couple of days, and very impressed with how handy it is.

Also impressed with how little the boiler seems to need to fire up. Weather not too cold yet I suppose!

Anybody know if there is a way to check on wiser how long the boiler has been going each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Thanks. You've answered a question that was puzzling me! I noticed Channel 1 gone a few weeks ago. I've been using Wiser for a a year or two without problems and couldn't understand why it was gone. Everything was still working so i left well enough alone but i was worried i was going to run into problems with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 alineysean

Hope it helps

r Radiator Thermostat – Device User Guide 

Wiser Guides Wiser Radiator Thermostat – Device User Guide Wiser Radiator Thermostat Using the device Checking the device history

Checking the wiser history

Using the Wiser app, you can monitor the temperature changes by accessing the device history.

Follow the steps to see the device history of the group Thermostats:

1. On the Home page, tap All devices > Radiator Thermostats.
    2. On the device control panel page, tap History.
    3. In the History page, you can see the temperature changes in Day (A), Week (B), Month (C), or Year (D) view.
    1. NOTE: You can adjust the date, week, month, or year using the panel (E).
    2. Alternatively, navigate to Home > All devices > iTRV > History to check the device history of the individual Thermostats

Advertisement