Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Correct they weren't the first, but I'd say they're the first mainstream provider to start payments

In any case, I still think they're managing the PR side of things a lot better than other providers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Unfortunately I got my last bill about a month ago which was before they began paying FIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,155 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I left Energia for Bord Gais at the end of September. Final bill had been issued and paid. They have applied the FIT to my account now as a credit.

I sent them an email and they replied with the below.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭S'

Got my bill today. Should the tariff mention EV plan? That’s what I’m on

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

When did they start? My last bill was Oct 10 and no FIT.

• Advertisement

No, it tends not to say your plan, but you can see from the rate that it looks about right for the EV plan

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

With energia do they list your discount on the bill anywhere? seems a little sneaky, in that would be easy to modify the discount and people may not notice!!

I couldn't find my current discount in online account either? I know it was on initial paper documentation they sent.

Nope, they don't mention the discount percentage anywhere that I've ever seen. There might be a blurb on the payment information on the first page which details when your discount expires, but that'll probably be on the last bill of your discount

It's pretty cheeky I agree, but I always have to go back to the welcome letter for my discount rate

Said it before but standing charges need to be tackled. No excuse for them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

I always take a photo on my phone when I get new contracts so it's always there in case of disputes.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

They told me today that the fit would commence payments in November but no specific date was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Sse prices all rose 1st oct, day rate from 0.24 to 0.35, night from 0.16 to 0.24, peak I think from 0.25 to 0.44 or thereabouts. Fit from 0.14 to 0.14...

Pure joke and doubt there will be any backlash from the cru about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Anyone aware of any suppliers giving export data for smart meter customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I assume this contains the deemed export figure of 48.95

Anyone with a 6kw inverter and deemed export got similar? With Energia since August

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Still showing just the 200e credit on mine, bill not due until end of Nov

Do you know if your meter has been read recently?

Actually -4 from that as they fudged up the last bill and put in €4 credit.

Can they not take this credit and apply it to the gas bill, going to have a lot of electricity credit piled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I'm in the sticks and send in a meter reading on the first of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Going off topic (but linked to having a lot of excess credits on electricity), it’s worth looking to move some heating from the gas boiler to electric rads. I’m doing that at the mo. Plus you’ll burning less gas, which is a win.

If you leave them on a 500w type setting they will keep any room at a constant temp (once the door is closed). Get a temp sensor to knock it off when it hits a room temp. Can get them on the plug (~20 quid on Amazon), so don’t need automation and won’t run all day. You wouldn’t want them on the 2kW setting as they would ate the juice.

We still haven’t turning the gas boiler on and few electric rads are working grand. Yesterday was the first test (mad windy plus cold in a very leaky house). WFH office will stay on electric even when our gas heating comes on (temp fluctuates madly otherwise). Screwfix have a electric rad 500w one for ~30 quid (hard to get ones with low watt settings like that). Even a dehumidifier will heat a small room if people want to try it. Using that for my WFH office now (small room) – needs to run many hours per day but only 140w.

Afaik the pump in gas boilers can use low hundreds of watts alone. Which isn’t warming the house – it’s wasted power. I’d rather use that for heating. I’ll measure it next time I turn the boiler on as was just something I read, so might be well wrong numbers wise. I expect what our pump is moving is like thick soup now, rads haven’t been flushed or treated in 15 years. 

Funny you say that, today was the first day the heating went on and I also charged the batteries too much and had to quickly grab the fan heater and lash it on 2kw to soak the excess 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@DC999 - that's it, I'm doing the same. Mate of mine also with a very large PV and battery setup (but with no EV sitting at home during the day) has his Eddi divert heat (once his hot water is full) to a few ancient storage heaters in the colder rooms, he bought those heaters for a tenner I think, nobody wants them any more. There is nobody in his house during the day, but the storage heaters can be programmed to release the heat in early evening. Saves a substantial amount on his gas bill too. Personally a lot of my excess goes into my EV in winter but I also use a lot of direct PV to heat the house (like today which was fairly sunny this morning). I haven't had my gas central heating on yet, apart for 10 minutes to see if it was still working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I wish there was a calculator where you could also factor in FIT when trying to work out the best supplier.

I’m with SSE but contract is up so I want to look around. Have a battery but no EV.

Tempted by energia although their rates are higher than my current rate. I’ve a smart meter but haven’t opted for a smart tariff to date. Their FIT rates are higher and they seem to pay FIT regularly.

My brain gets overloaded when trying to compare plans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They are bad but compared to health insurance plans, they are the worst

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah, I saw some old storage heaters for a few quid months ago on Donedeal. But I'd end up in the divorce courts if I went down the route :) They would be grand I'm sure once you take to time to suss out the timers on them.

I know a sparks and they rip them out of apartments and put in 'new' electric heaters that can't fill on night rate. Which is gonna cost way more to run of course. But they look pretty and have an app to control them (which you can get on a 10 quid smart plug).

Exactly, my mate is a sparks and he just threw some of his mates some pints money and they wouldn't have to fill a skip with them.

Why would you get divorced? His wife and daughters love the bit of extra heat coming from these storage heaters - for nothing and generated from the sun. He has them hidden though behind a sofa or radiator cover as they look a bit dated now, maybe that's what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭curioustony

I wish there was a calculator where you could also factor in FIT when trying to work out the best supplier.

@grind gremlin , there is.

Try this: https://github.com/Tonyslogic/tout-compare

There is even an option for you to specify of you want measured or calculated FIT on the output.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Geez I have one in the far corner of my hall that I never used and was going to throw out, is this an easy job to do, I have an eddi as well.

Yep super easy. Haven't got an eddi myself, but from what I have seen / heard it's straightforward. Eddi has 2 outputs. Obviously you need a cable from the eddi to the storage heater, which is probably going to be the hardest part if they are in very different parts of the house.

While you’re waiting to get it hooked up to the Eddi, if you have a decent night rate you could turn it on and get it to fill at night. My only experience was of one in a bedsit a million years ago. They are fiddly to get working (so when it outputs the heat and how much. And when it charges so doesn’t hammer the day rate). But you could mess around with all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Will get the sparks to have a gander at it, the old night storage heating meter was pulled out last year by the ESB when they replaced my analogue D/N meter with another analogue D/N meter after I refused smart meter.I assume my current D/N meter will suffice for storage heater.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yep generally the night storage meter only turned on at night rate , and was separate from the rest of the houses electric.

Day night has replaced them, but then you need external timer controls for the storage heaters.

And again for heating, If you multiply your night rate by say 8.5ish and that is lower than a litre of oil, Night rate is cheaper

(10kwh in a litre of oil, allowing 15% losses from it)

Advertisement