Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I just don't listen to OTB any more. It's tabloid stuff these days, or else Joe Molloy asking a question in 14 parts, 13 of which he answers himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yeah it’s not worth a listen anymore really, v little insight.

The Molecast is where it’s at

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Crowley will impress with his stony glaring from the sidelines as Frawley gets the opportunity to actually play.

What was the actual point of the EI tour?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The EI tour wasn't Ireland A.

Crowley has progressed from EI to Ireland A, so therein itself is one example of the point of the EI tour. Crowley wouldn't have gotten that opportunity otherwise.

Now he's set to play for Ireland A against a fairly choice new Zealand side. I'd say the kids delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

The narrative about Ireland has been set in stone, doesnt matter if facts or logic defies this though.

• Advertisement

You better not look at the french team for the game against Australia then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

IRFU look to improve match-day experience in wake of fan discontent over alcohol sales

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2022/11/03/irfu-attempting-to-improve-match-day-experience-for-november-internationals/

“There will also be more interaction during the game by the stadium MC”

Oh Jesus. Talk of more cringe MC engagement with the crowd and playing music etc.

If they’re trying to improve the crowd experience they couldn’t be coming up with worse ideas.

I suspect this will be something similar to the god-awful "DJ" they had for the recent Leinster-Munster game in the Aviva.

The last thing they should be doing is giving any more leeway to that MC.

The narrative around Farrell has been properly bizarre. I think it was the start of the 6N last year people were still calling him conservative this, blah blah that. People complaining after we absolutely hammered Wales, people complaining about a BP win away to England because we didn't score 50 points. He has done a huge amount of squad building, more than anyone could possibly have hoped for imo. I would have to hold my hands up and admit I said some stupid things about his performance as head coach in his first season, but he has done a truly excellent job in pretty much all facets imo.

Even in his very first season he was trying to evolve the playing style to what we see today, it just takes a long time and a lot of practice so it was hard for fans (like me) to see it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Does anyone know when the team is announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's today, so probably right now at 1 o clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Farrell has done very well. The amount of players involved in various stages of the wider set up is great. The EI tour probably will only bear fruit for a few lads down the pike. On the other hand, this Friday's match is geared to those knocking on the door.

The Hume Osborne partnership could be a winning ticket. Loughman will get into the 23 this autumn and Prendergast too! Coombes and Deegan, both good options, are thereabouts.

My only problem is the continued selection of Healy and Murray. Both are shadows at this stage. I suppose experience is helpful and they're knowledge of the system benifits them but, we won't go far with these lads in situ.

Stockdale returning is great to see. A good effort this week and he could get into the match next week. Ideally. I think Farrell will add 4 to 7 A lads to the squad v Fiji. So, a hood chance for them to lay a marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Team is out. It's probably what everyone expected given injuries etc.

Team named:

IRELAND v South Africa:

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 23 caps

14. Robert Baloucoune (Ulster/Enniskillen) 2 caps

13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 44 caps

12.Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 60 caps

11. Mack Hansen (Connacht) 6 caps

10. Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 108 caps CAPTAIN

9. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 99 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 46 caps

2. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 10 caps

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 60 caps

4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 33 caps

5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 46 caps

6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 87 caps

7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 43 caps

8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 20 caps

Replacements:

16. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 28 caps

17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 118 caps

18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 25 caps

19. Kieran Treadwell (Ulster/Ballymena) 8 caps

20. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 30 caps

21. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 20 caps

22. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 35 caps

23. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 6 caps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

No surprises there, given the A team that was announced. Looking forward to this one now, real clash of styles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

So why was Baloucoune on the left wing for Emerging Ireland? Would it not have been better to get him bedded in at 14? Nash could have played 11.

• Administrators Posts: 53,828 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The IRFU are completely tone deaf if they think people want more of that gowl on the MC.

Anyway, here is an interesting quote in the article, and ultimately it's the elephant in the room that the IRFU won't address:

There was a better atmosphere at the AIL final between Clontarf and Terenure – attended by 5,500 supporters – than there was at any of Ireland’s three home Six Nations victories, even on the final Saturday against Scotland when seeking a Triple Crown and while still in the mix for the title.

There's a better atmosphere at the AIL final because there is 5000 people there who love their rugby and their club, versus Ireland games where you have 45000 people there a massive proportion of which know almost nothing about the game and are only there to be seen to be there. The IRFU are happy to flog tickets to corporates and business mates and the fur coat brigade, the end result is you price out ordinary fans and the atmosphere disappears.

No amount of MC nonsense or piping crowd sounds over the tannoy is going to fix it. If they want a better atmosphere, reduce the absurd prices and increase the allocation given to rugby clubs.

I have barely missed any Ireland home games in the past decade, this is the reality of it. The beer talk is a total red herring, it's a non issue. The reason the atmosphere is crap is not because people are drinking beer in their seats, it's cause a lot of people are turning up and having the chats during the match, or literally do not understand what is happening on the field, or are too posh to be seen to be making any noise. When some atmosphere does get going the dope on the tannoy kills it fairly promptly by playing some stupid music or telling people to wave their flags.

It is of no coincidence that the best atmosphere tends to be the games like NZ, when almost no tickets go on sale to the public and corporate allocations are trimmed to the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is it seriously strong? The backline looks potent, but I couldn't tell you anything about any of their forwards other than Tuipulotu and Jacobson. I'd never heard of Gardiner and half their bench. Maybe they'll be good, but the forwards look a bit underwhelming for a second string NZ representative side.

• Advertisement

You do know that whether you've heard of a player or not has no bearing on how good they are?

It does to a certain extent if I follow rugby. The higher they go in the game the more likely I am to be familiar with them.

Of course, if someone is only 21 or 22, the reason I haven't heard of them could be they haven't been around very long. Cam Roigard could be the bee's knees and the cat's pyjamas for all I know.

Post edited by RichieRich_89 on

Good Ireland team and congrats to Murray on his 100 caps, some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

Their bench isn't made up of players aged 32,35,31,30,30,30

Where are the fresh players who could break into the squad for a world cup, can they not give players real experience a year out from a world cup

perhaps then thats why you dont recognise the names of some of the reserve new zealand team?

josh dickson and marino makiele tu'u are two very well established highlanders players, certainly among the best of the forward crop at the highlanders. MMT is a taller version of Ardie savea, runs great lines and never stops going forward. definitely one to watch.

mcallister at hooker is certainly a surprise with just 22 super rugby caps, though hes just off the back of winning the NPC with Canterbury, but thats as much of a comment on the dearth of front row talent in NZ than anything else. Codie taylors and Dane Coles form are both poor.

Ross is a well seasoned pro at this stage, and already capped this summer. Again, as with pretty much all NZ front rows at the moment, not flashy but very dependable.

Gardiner is a bit of a bolter. six caps for the crusaders, 14 for canterbury and like mcallister an NPC winner this season. I cant say i noticed him too much during this years NPC, as he played more lock than back row. But he comes from good stock as his father played with crusaders, and he did a stint in europe playing for beziers and bath. he would have played against munster back in 2000. hes now the GM of crusaders.

their back line is ridiculously good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kinda baller that we're only using six replacements. I'm confident of a win too, but that's definitely levelling up.

I mean... it couldn't possibly be that you selectively omitted Treadwell (26) and Carbery (27).... could it?

theyre playing tomorrow night.

this stuff isnt hard, please keep up.

Yeah, I think so, for an A side. There are 8 All Blacks named, 3 in the pack. Quite a few players who played for the ABs as recently as last weekend, and a grand total of 184 caps in the team. They are considerably more experienced than the Irish side they'll be facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

What’s the ref like in the ireland game when it comes to scrummaging?

Is he a stickler? French style where the more powerul team gets the nod? Or just wants it to be a restart?

I’m trying to decide whether to bet on this thing.

Advertisement