Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Wish i saw this prior to venturing up & down the canal 😂

I'm very glad I got to check it out on my recent trip to Ireland, it was beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Thinking about doing this again only in reverse and from Athlone this time.

Has anyone camped along or near the canal at any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Camped here before. On the right hand side of the canal. Very quiet. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4953702,-7.1680519,3a,75y,145.29h,88.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBbLqU4w33yImbt0ME6y4Sw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also asked and camped at Moran's at the Hill of Down, but that's a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can anyone advise as to the road surface on this Green way heading east from Clondara to Mullingar. Is it suitable for roadbikes as I've heard mixed reviews that it's compacted gravel and more suitable for MTB/ CX bikes.

Thanks.

The surface is a mix of smooth tarmac and what you said. Its fine, I did it on a road bike (25 mm tyres) along with a lad on a single speed steel framed bike 23mm tyres).

The only surface you need to worry about is the stretch near Leixlip/Blanch

• Advertisement

Thanks, that looks like a decent spot. We stayed at Mary Lynches last time which was great, but its closed at the moment. They did a fine breakfast!

Looking at this spot maybe? https://goo.gl/maps/aRMiAL9QcD8W5BbB9 Little public green along by Loch Ennell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I took a spin out from Spencer Dock to Maynooth and back this evening to try out my new gravel tyres. There were signs up at either end of the Deep Sinking between Castleknock and Coolmine stations, advising that the path will be closed between 22 August and 12 September. Anyone know what’s going on?

As an aside, the Deep Sinking is a lot of fun on 45 mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Did the Clondara to Mullingar spin over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. The scenery is lovely along the route and it was spotless however two criticisms I would have would be that more water fonts are available and some adequate signage.

On a 65 km run there is just one water font and again over that journey some of the route and access to go under bridges was overgrown and was barely discernable. It was only when you went wrong and went over the bridge and onto a main road that you realised you had to go back.

Apart from a 2km run across the bog near Abbeyshrule airstrip the surface itself is not so bad. I took the winter bike with heavier tyres and it did the trick, however I'd say the same surface could be a nightmare in or after a heavy downpour.

8/10 as far as I'm concerned and thoroughly enjoyed the day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Given the length of time it is taking to even get to Planning Permission stage with the Greenway, maybe they are doing some "temporary" improvement works!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

Royal Canal Spin 13/08/2022

I've followed this thread for a while as I had planned to do the RC Greenway since last summer. With the great spell of weather I thought there was no better time than last Saturday. The forecast was for one of the hottest days of the years so seemed like a great opportunity. I had previously cycled Maynooth to Enfield last October so was familiar with that section/surface. My wife is from Roscommon so a group of three of us (sister in law and her husband) planned to tie in a trip by cycling from Templeogue to Elphin - taking in all of the Greenway from Maynooth to Cloondara. I had made a loose schedule to stop in Kilcock/ Killucan/Abbeyschrule/ Termonbarry. J - one of the group - is an expert mechanic so was confident we wouldn't have any issues. My wife was following three hours later in the car if there was anything more serious.

We set off at 7am in great conditions - 14c. Traveled to Maynooth via Phoneix Park and Leixlip and made Maynooth trailhead around 8.10am. Took a few kms for J and H to get use to the surface. A little bit of caution needed when moving from one side of track to the other with loose gravel in the middle but the group found their groove and we had good momentum so decided to skip the break in Kilcock and have breakfast/brunch in Enfield. we left the trail and went to Koffee Well for scones and coffee. We adjusted our schedule and planned to have a quick snack break in Mullingar and a more substantial meal in Abbeyschrule. At about 9.40 we left Enfield the stretch to Mullingar was lovely. Very peaceful surroundings, nice countryside and each lock or bridge broke up the cycle. Just when we got to the other side of Mullingar my tube blew. I got a brief fright that it was the tyre but thankfully on inspection it was just the tube. So much for our best laid plans but between the three of us we had left the pump and three cannisters at the front door and left without them, each thinking one of us had grabbed them!. After a brief panic we flagged down a cyclist the other side of canal who was traveling from Ballymahon to Mullingar and J cycled up to the next bridge with my tyre and got some air and went on our way, thanking our fellow cyclist.

We stopped at Lock 26 - Coolnahay Harbour to top up on water at a public font. This was a beautiful harbour and there is a lovely coffee stop there. We chatted to the owner for a few minutes. At this stage we had about 100k in the legs and were looking forward to a longer stop and food in Abbeyschrule. About 5 km outside Abbeyschrule we encountered the worse surface with a lot of potholes. Its also very isolated here but we came by the Airfield and looked for the Rustic Inn where we parked up the bikes and refueled there for about an hour. at 1pm with 120k complete. After some Chicken Maryland (for me) and a lot of water we left with the final 1/3 of the trip to do. We recognized a cyclist lifting his bike out of a van outside the pub and realized it was the cyclist who helped us at Mullingar. He had a puncture and couldn't get the tyre away from the rim so was rescued by local with a lift. J returned the favour and fixed his tyre. Good karma all round. We had a chat with him and went on our way at about 2.20. We powered on the remainder of the Greenway getting some good momentum. We could feel the heat (about 27c) when we slowed down but a slight cross breeze kept us cool. This section of the Greenway has some good spots and not so good surfaces with a few shared spaces where you meet the odd van. We finished the Greenway in Cloondara. J and H were on home territory now and the spin from Termonbarry home was very familiar. We stopped in the Centra in Termonarry at about 3.50 for icecream and then left at 4.15 for the last 25k home. After a good effort to Strokestown - I suffered a bit on the hill through the town (the first time all day) but by the time we reached outside Elphin I was seriously hanging for that bottle of beer so we powered on.

Arrived at our destination at @ 17:15 -

182.33 km total distance/ 6h:54m Moving time/ 26.4 kph Avg Speed/ 573 m Total Ascent/ 10h 14m elapsed time. Did the cycle on Genesis Equilibrium/28 wheels

Overall a fantastic experience - you just gotta accept the rough with the smooth regarding the surfaces. Some lovely harbours and piers along the way. A few additional water fonts along the way would be welcome.

Will do the reverse trip sometime in the future.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7632079373

Post edited by terminator74 on

Super spin and write-up. Well done. That's a very good average speed in that heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Surprised to hear the surface wasn’t great in places, I was under the impression the whole length of the canal from Maynooth had a completed surface.

Great report all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

yup great report and a good karma day on the bike by the sounds of it. @FinnC some of that surface was completed a long time ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More upgrade activity along the Royal Canal: photos from the stretch around Leixlip...

Not such great news at the Dublin end with yet another delay on the Phibsborough to Ashtown section.

https://irishcycle.com/2022/10/19/royal-canal-greenway-delayed-until-july-2023-due-to-esb-high-voltage-cable-added-to-project/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2 tubes came out of my ortlieb saddle pack on that section this evening. I'm blaming the poor quality surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I see all the councilors claiming this as their own doing again, same as the last time it was supposed to start! I'd love to know what they actually added to the project other than tweets and a few mentions at council meetings! Anyone know where exactly the contractor is supposed to have started I didn't see anything passing along some of the canal on Tuesday.

I'd miss the bit of offroad paving the canal brings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I know Joe and know he is passionate about cycling infrastructure in general to be fair to him, not just greenways. I think with the photos on that twitter thread it shows the current path needs some improvement as its not really usable by anyone in winter.

A couple of us tried to board the almost empty Sligo train this morning with our bikes. We intended heading to Mullingar and cycling back along the Greenway. We were repulsed by two attendants who were determined not to let us on unless we could produce booking confirmation. Neither of us could so off the train went without us.

We had no trouble getting on the Maynooth train shortly afterwards and had a great spin from there to lunch at Nanny Quinn's (Thomastown) and back to Maynooth afterwards.

It's the first time in many trips to Mullingar and Longford that I was asked for proof of booking and I'm not sure if it is even noted on the ticket when you do book a bike space. It looks as if it is a new and regrettable policy to restrict the number of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm sure it's noted on the booking. I have to say first I've seen them check but nice to see as have had a few trips with the bike only to see the bike rack already full on the train. Usually have to end up standing in the carriage connector with it. I see your side also and surely it wouldn't cost a whole lot more to drag an additional carriage for bikes and goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

can be busy at weekends

The bike on train all depends on what employee is working.

5 -6 years ago I was booked on the Dublin to SLigo train on a Friday at 5 or 6. Had bike booke too. It was a bank holiday weekend and exam time for students so busy and not a spare seat on the train. Passengers had loaded up the bike rack. Conductor hoofed all the luggage off and said whoever owns it needs to keep it, and had a bike and I got a seat as I had prebooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I was put off at Maynooth about 18 months for having no bike booking. I appealed for the return of my fare it was refused on the basis that the train operated I eventually got credit I think after arguing that I was denied boarding the agent was insistent that I wasn't due a refund but gave me the credit as a good will gesture.

The MAynooth train is a commuter train though and bikes are allowed on them though except for certain hours monday to friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

There's a new coffee trailer in the village of Ballynacarrigy.

So that's coffee trailers at Keenagh, Abbeyshrule, Ballynacarrigy, Coolnahay, Mullingar.

Somebody is clearly using the canal and buying coffee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

for those who cycle the royal canal....

able to walk it today with the wuff but maybe during the week it might be closed off due to upgrade works

anyone know if this section btw Louisa bridge and Confey is for tarmacing ? (hope not) or regraveling ?? and widening ?

Advertisement