Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Boards is hardly gone that soft that you cant say someone who thinks the Ukrainian refugees shouldn't be here are being racist, we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s a “quirk” of the site, P. You can’t call a racist “a racist”, same way you can’t call a bigot “a bigot” etc.

The racists, and bigots etc, tend to get very “worked up” and upset if they are called such things. That’s why I posted saying it was refreshing to see racists own their beliefs.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

They have gone that soft, remember we have thought police now and hate crime & hate speech soon you wont be able to call a female dog a bitch anymore !! I didnt bother reporting you as i know what i am and i know i am not racist.

i just had a controversial opinion which is what the thread was opened for. It was not opened for name calling or abuse. Just a thread on opinions which are not always liked by others the whole purpose being to understand our fellow posters a bit better and allow open discourse and some humour neither of which you seem to possess..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

IMO people still working from home are taking the p*ss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Statistical manipulation is common practice, done to suit one's argument - It's done by Citing misleading averages, Giving precise figures to appear more reputable. Using percentages to hide numbers & calculations. Omitting statistical qualifiers etc. etc. The practice is as old as stats themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

What’s racist about not agreeing that the country should be flooded with Ukrainian refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

It's quite funny how pjgwhatshisface comes on here calling Irish folk lazy, stupid and racist because they dare question how their tax money is being spent.

He has no problem laying into Irish people with wild abandon yet anyone who displays even mild negativity towards a Ukrainian is shot down and called a racist.

The irony of it all.

Everything about questioning the Ukranian "bleeding heart debacle" is racist apparently....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

His views on the irish homeless were crass to say the least. I see teenagers sleeping on the hot air vents from a local leisure centre most nights, it's a horrible sight and i wish they were offered free hotels with medical cards.

Heres something racist that you can actually call racist - giving the dole to Ukranians and homes to Ukranians yet leaving people of colour a lot from Africa & Syria in direct provision because they dont look like us which the ukranians do. That is a sample of racism and our Government condone that type of racism in plain sight, so the whole system is actually racist. The Irish system is wholly racist, imagine that .

Debate that one PGJ2015 if you can as you too are part of that system. But there is no debating it as its policy in our country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

It's not cool to criticize Ukrainians at the moment, but the inconvenient truth is that they are one of the most corrupt & racist race in the western world. When the war started and they were fleeing to Poland etc. in overcrowded trains they did not hesitate to kick Africans, Indians etc. off these trains, most of these non Caucasians were students. How many Syrians, Africans, Afgan refugees did Ukraine or it's neighbours take in pre war ?? NATO expansionism in Eastern Europe has a lot to do with the current war in eastern Ukraine, it's a chicken & egg situation - unfortunately like all wars not everything is just black & white.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Oh, I never called anyone racist. I just applauded 2 users owning their own racism.

You can’t call racists “racist” on this site, it’s against the rules.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I’ve yet to meet someone from India who I’ve liked , find them very arrogant and unsympathetic people

before the race card is shown , I’ve never had a negative encounter with an African person in Ireland ( that could of course change anytime)

Gone? I was working, im not on this 24 hours of the day. 😁

"The lady doth protest too much" springs to mind when I see your responses to my posts regarding the Ukrainians. very angry it seems, that is interesting.

Saying the Ukrainians are from a morally corrupt race of people is Racist, simple as. Also there isn't many men of fighting age here either, its mostly women and children or elderly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Erm, great yeah. So what’s racist about not wanting the country flooded with Ukrainian refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

We should leave the E.U. We joined the EEC which was a trading block now the E.U is a political union which subverts our sovereignty, we voted against Maastricht and Lisbon. The likes of Romania should never have been allowed to join.

I also think Ireland should join NATO and massively increase military spending. Both of these opinions are broadly unpopular in Ireland today.

yes i am angry at the way the hospitality of my country is being abused and my hard paid taxes are being frittered away with out so much as a referendum asking if i mind them using the money on this cause which is of no benefit to us in trade or down the line. That is why i am angry we have no say just a narrative delivered by people like you who then abuse me for having some objections. I am bloody angry and it is my right to be many irish citizens are very angry.

Also you didnt address my point on the racism in plain sight the direct provision V the ukranians comfort?

Racists do hate being called racists but i am not one so i am not fighting it i am merely saying the ukranian debacle is a joke and should be stopped. it is of no benefit to us on any level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@cezanne do not post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

But if Climate Change is so terrible and so awful that something must be done about it, why the need for statistical manipulation? Surely the raw numbers would be scary enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am quoting this as I think it it totally wrong.

For example, how many people here have been to Romania?

It is a country that often gets maligned due to the Roma gypsy population who only make up a tiny percentage of the population of Romania - about 3%.

I find the people in Romania (the actual ethnic Romanian people) to be generally some of the nicest people I have ever come across. They are so welcoming and are very much pro-EU. One can see the improvements that the country is making with the motorways being built and restoration works on beautiful old buildings.

Beautiful countryside with the mountains and one can still see old traditions, the old towns in the cities especially in Transylvania are just beautiful too. Then it has the seaside and the Delta area which is a nature paradise.

Maybe my controversial opinion is how ignorant a lot of people are about this beautiful country and most kind people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don’t mind the number of GAA clubs and I thoroughly enjoy the sporting side, the games themselves but , it’s annoying how they are always on the ear hole looking for state handouts…in my area close to one million euros has been spent supplying the few GAA clubs with all weather pitches….just all weather pitches. More cash was handed out for floodlighting, upgraded clubhouses, gyms and social facilities.

Cricket Ireland the national governing body of the sport believes that participation in cricket has grown roughly 100% over the last 10 years, i read an article a couple of years ago where it was the fastest growing sport in Ireland…our sides across all age spectrums and both genders are now holding their own against or beating some of the best sides in the world and the domestic competitions have come on unbelievably….and there is mass participation at underage level…it’s incredible the growth, interest and success of the sport in Ireland and of our international teams.

an average of around 1.5 million euros a year is the government investment in the whole of the country for cricket.

dozens of clubs over 100 teams now across all age groups and both genders.

and 1.5 million a year.

GAA get tens of millions per year….

Mentioned a briefer summary in my local 😅🤪🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

You're equating 5 specific countries (well 4 countries and one region) with "all countries" - that's an entirely different proposition. Also, these reports say these specific areas are heating more quickly than the global average, not twice as fast as other countries. Oceans are warming more slowly than continents, so it's not surprising for many countries to warm faster than the global average.

I mean taking the Irish report for example, it's not hard to see that it is simple fact - they took the global average temperature change as measured (this is looking at actual measurements from the past, not modelling the future), compared it with recorded Irish temperature change, and looked at the difference. It's not rocket science, but it does serve to keep people informed that when we say the global average has gone up by 1 degree, that doesn't just mean it's going to be 21 degrees outside rather than 20 degrees in your local area on a given day, it's much more complex than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Jesus the Ukranians are refugges their status has been established and legally they can work. the guys in the direct provision centres are assylum seekers their status has not been established so that is why they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You….have….too….much….time….on….your….hands…..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cricket, we can't be having that...........sure that'd turn you protestant. 🤣

We should increase defence spending ten fold , we are a pretend sovereign nation in this regard, we have a very unusual attitude to the role of the military, most people are completely unaware how unusual it is

I like Romanian folk too , very warm people, spirited

• Advertisement

I agree, some of the nicest people I have met were Romanian.

Advertisement