Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

what determines the “chances created” stat. It’s not crosses anyway this season. He has popped up on the edge of the box for a pot shot in a few games and late on in last nights game also just inside the box. I wonder is the stat counting this ?

The team is carrying him. We got lucky with the ball over his head last night as Napoli should have buried it. He half heartedly stuck his ass to the shot. We know now that midfield had been covering him for a long time but he was creating lots of chances so his defensive frailties weren’t noticeable. Even if Liverpool sorted out the midfield in January, I don’t think he should remain as a wing back. Either convert him to midfield (means a complete overhaul of formation) or drop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah I think the same.

As you said, he covers both RB & CB to a good level. He always knows the system, is well embedded into the squad and is HG. Has pace, is able to pass the ball and good in the air. He knows his position in the squad, fighting for the VVD partner with Konate & Matip. Being content in the squad is very underrated.

How many players out there, at a higher level, meet all those criteria? It would be very difficult to sign a player better than Gomez that is content not starting every game. At least not until VVD / Matip move on in 1,2,3 or 4 years time. Any potential signing is going to want to start almost instantly. And that is not happening yet with VVD / Konate / Matip all ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Needs to link the play more, he very much goes it alone with he picks it up, Mane was more of a linker of play, Diaz cuts in and shoot most of the time so hopefully he settles into the team approach going forward. But he does score a long range goal here and there, but so would Henderson if he just kept shooting instead of playing ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If we needed any convincing after the 2020/21 season, I believe we've had proof again with the injuries to Matip and Konate.

The CB position is arguably our most important position to get right, and we've missed those 2 terribly as options. Our system depends on the ability of a CB who can stride through the lines, or pass through them. Gomez simply can't. Gomez is only comfortable hitting the wide pass to Trent. It's predictable, and the opposition are happy to let him do it. It doesn't commit anyone out of their shape, and our midfielders and attackers often end up double teamed and easy to defend against.

We also turn the ball over an awful lot more than the likes of City and Arsenal. So we need CBs who are strong and assertive. They need to be constantly anticipating in order to help keep us on the front foot.

Even Konate's ability to keep the ball when winning it makes a huge difference. Gomez is a complete 'safety first' defender, who will happily kick it into touch at any point that he thinks he's under pressure. That's fine for most teams, but we need to be keeping the ball in play as much as possible.

Sorry, a lot of that is tl;dr but I didn't expect Konate to stick out so much last night. We were like a different team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I would never advocate ditching someone without replacing them but Gomez needs to be replaced as soon as possible.

We probably arguably need two moe CBs given the hassle injuries have caused us the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

"Perhaps the next Haidara will emerge in those camps. The man himself knows what it means to have heroes. “I loved Yaya Touré,” he says. “He could do everything with and without the ball. I also loved Steven Gerrard. Everything he did was amazing. I love to watch his videos and try to take things from his game. There also players now. Marco Verratti is amazing with the ball. Casemiro is great. But I need to look at myself and be the player I am.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I dismissed this theory that players are thinking of the world cup and not putting in the effort but I definitely think there is something to it. Perform in the high profile games like City and Napoli, then lose to relegation level teams. Gomez after the City game, people were clamouring for him to be in the England squad. Even a small injury can dash your world cup dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gomez has everything to be a world class CB he can do everything but he is missing concentration , he lacks focus so often,

He isn't getting skinned , out paced ,or out fought, he just switches off at times & its very hard to cut that out without playing week in week out which he won't do for us,

I think as a CF you'd be better of avoiding Joe, Don't bothering to fight or don't keep attacking him, just bide your time & wait for the mistake when he switches off,

Look at his last 3 ig mistakes Forrest,Westham & Leeds all under no pressure what so ever ,

Could Trent play RCM of a 3 ,

If you had a DM & LCM like Thiago who doesn't vacate his position often, & they at times the LCM & DM could be a double pivot, then surely you have room at RCM for Trent, even more so because Salah at RW likes to come inside,

• Advertisement

For me Diaz now is what Mane was when we bought him,

Mane then became obsessed with goals because Mo came in & he wanted to match him,

What changes in Mane was exactly what you said he would receive the ball & pass it asap so he could dart into the box to be on the end of things , He stopped dribbling as much as his whole goal was to get as close to the 6 yard box as quick he could, Ronaldo had the same evolution stop dribbling as much & arrive late into the box,

I wonder will we see that with Diaz as he matures , Jota is a master at it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think Diaz is probably the most "traditional" winger we have, (previously) Mane and especially Jota are strikers who can play on the left.

Small sample also but Diaz got 4 assists in his first half season at the club after arriving in January (26 appearances), Mane in the same full season got 2 assists in 51 appearances.

Mane & Salah are inside forwards, not wingers at all, Bobby at his peak made so much space for the lads to run into , Our style will have to change with Nunez as our 9

I hate to ever make the suggestion of Midfield Trent but I really want to see that 442 with Diaz and Trent as the wide midfielders and Nunez/Salah as the two up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Actually if Gomez kept things simple, he would be better. A number of goals have coughed up when he had an easy option and didn't take it and messed up. He could have put that ball in touch vs. Leeds, simple balls in touch vs. Napoli could have not reunited in goals. I think Phillips knows his limitations better.

When Diaz comes back, I want to see him dribble and get to the byline more. At the moment everyone expects him to cut inside and limits his options.

Jeez, Fabinhos numbers are horrible. A couple of midfielders in January would make a big difference. At this stage he don't need a Bellingham, a level below would still be better than where we are at now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, i'd be hanging onto him too... He serves an important function in the squad - covers CB and RB to an alright degree, and most importantly is also one of the very very few club trained players for European competition. We're short on that front as it is, and with his versatility he's the ideal type of guy you want taking those spots.

• Advertisement

Also I know there comes a time where a player is no longer "still young" but Joe is a 25 year old with over 2 years missed due to injuries playing in a position that most players don't reach their prime in until they're near 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,940 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Nice to see Bruce Forsyth there alive and well too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FA speaking up doubt it will do much but also see the Irish Leeds fan below didn't get into the game and Leeds have banned him wonder if it was worth his while going from Ireland for that.

Bloody idiot. What has he possibly to gain by doing that in Liverpool. He looks like he might barely have been born when Hillsborough occurred. I remember it vividly. Doesn’t bother me so much as I didn’t know anyone that died but it’s very sore to the locals. I have a colleague from that area and despite being a Utd fan (and he lives within sight of anfield all his life), it is a subject you don’t even question with him.

• Advertisement

Apparently he went big and was threatening violence and all but the Liverpool stewards didn't let him into the ground that night, Hillsborough family member contacted Leeds with his details and they sent them a letter to say they have banned him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Guys a loser. Nothing better to do with his rubbish life.

Some of the comments are funny though, I suspect his Twitter page was a sight before he took it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Son has a fracture around his eye and is out for the weekend game. Is a big doubt for the World Cup too, which I am sorry to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well we can’t get PSG now I think. Late Benfica goal wins the group.

Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Porto or Benfica.

Group Winners: SSC Napoli (ITA), FC Porto (POR), FC Bayern München (GER), Tottenham Hotspur (ENG), Chelsea FC (ENG), Real Madrid CF (ESP), Manchester City FC (ENG) & SL Benfica (POR)

So for

Napoli they have Club Brugge (BEL), Eintracht Frankfurt (GER), RB Leipzig (GER), Borussia Dortmund (GER) & Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Porto they have Liverpool FC (ENG), FC Internazionale Milano (ITA), Eintracht Frankfurt (GER), AC Milan (ITA), RB Leipzig (GER), Borussia Dortmund (GER) & Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Bayern they have Liverpool FC (ENG), Club Brugge (BEL), AC Milan (ITA) & Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Spurs they have Club Brugge (BEL), FC Internazionale Milano (ITA), AC Milan (ITA), RB Leipzig (GER), Borussia Dortmund (GER) & Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Chelsea they have Club Brugge (BEL), FC Internazionale Milano (ITA), Eintracht Frankfurt (GER), RB Leipzig (GER), Borussia Dortmund (GER) & Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Real they have Liverpool FC (ENG), Club Brugge (BEL), FC Internazionale Milano (ITA), Eintracht Frankfurt (GER), AC Milan (ITA), Borussia Dortmund (GER) & Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Man City they have Club Brugge (BEL), FC Internazionale Milano (ITA), Eintracht Frankfurt (GER), AC Milan (ITA), RB Leipzig (GER), & Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Benfica they have Liverpool FC (ENG), Club Brugge (BEL), FC Internazionale Milano (ITA), Eintracht Frankfurt (GER), AC Milan (ITA), RB Leipzig (GER) & Borussia Dortmund (GER)

So for Liverpool its

Benfica

Real

Bayern

Porto

Nothing easy, but we seem to perform against the bigger teams, so hopefully it's Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Hopefully not Real. They're the only team Klopp can't seem to beat.

Ah but that has to change at some point, everything changes with time, this could be our time

But going away in 2nd leg, you'd much rather Porto and Benfica , away to Bayern and Real while needing something is almost impossible

• Advertisement

Just for fun, but yea we got Benfica 😊

https://draw.inker.one/#/cl/ko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Delighted he's out for the weekend but I agree it's very sad for him if he misses the World Cup, given his importance to his nation. Hopefully he makes it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Porto...Benfica....Real..... Bayern in that order, probably similar to most.

Son will be a big loss to Spurs, wasn't confident at all but coupled with the Napoli result, a win would be very welcome indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Three English group winners and three German runners up mean we're almost twice as likely to get Bayern as anyone else

(not my work, taken from https://eminga.github.io/cldraw/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I did it for the craic and drew Bayern 8 out of the 10 I completed 🙈🙈🙈

think that's enough of that for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ive never been so less excited about a world cup.

There has been very little ramp up of advertising about the football in it. Every bit of coverage is about the workers in Qatar.

Of the group stages though, for me, only group C and E look like a really competitive fight that would be worth making time to see. The rest of them on paper are a bit meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

some people have way too much time on their hands

not you but whoever did this

On a better note we have a higher chance of drawing one of the two Portuguese teams than Bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ideally Liverpool come out in the 3rd tie after Bayern and Real have been drawn in the others lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

After the few years we've had in European competition, I couldn't give a shiny sh*te about who we get. We can turn anyone over.

League form is what terrifies me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Was at the Napoli match.

Got a taxi to the Airport yesterday evening.

Taxi driver says he's going through a divorce.

For a second I read that as the Taxi driver,

Strange his missus wrote some cryptic tweet yesterday, About how quick people forget or something

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Walter Alright

I doubt that, his wife is up the duff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Was the taxi driver ginger with a dull Manchester accent by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I want Real. We were better than them in May, let’s knock them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just from how Fab looks when he moves, I don't think i'd particularly buy some personal issue like that as the cause... like, he literally looks like he's having trouble moving freely. Can't seem to break into anything above a jog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement