Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Holy crap! December 13th $899 7900 XT and $999 XTX. They'll clean up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

$999 for the 7900 XTX o_0

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Surely Nvidia will have to drop the price to be competitive. I mean the 4090 and 4080 may end being better performing cards but I doubt there $600 and $400 better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

They definitely kick nvidia in the teeth with them prices but December 13 that pretty close to Christmas what the likely hood at get one at lanuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Was able to buy a 6900xt at launch pretty easily from AMD direct. Hoping I can do the same for the 7900xtx.

• Advertisement

Hard to say what availability will be like, but at least there's no crypto miners to worry about this time.

Seems like all the rumours were accurate enough. They may not best the 4090 in raw performance, but in terms of price to performance and power consumption they're way ahead. Not to mention the card will actually fit in a normal pc case 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

if these are close to 4090 performance they have really done well, love that they kept it to under 1000. wonder will the 7800xt/xtx be good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That price point alone will murder nVidia, and it's been well deserved for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If your just interested in gaming, they claim the XTX will be 4080 performance and the XT will probably be 4070(formerly called 4080 12gb). At less power usage and sold for cheaper. Just be warned, I would put money that early adopters are going to encounter a fair amount of driver issues here because this is very new architecture.

The cards themselves are super interesting and its a huge step for AMD, this could easily turn the tide for them the way Ryzen has for the cpu side. Its a chiplit design with one large die doing most of the work and surrounding memory controller dies on a interposer incorporating a large amount of "cache". If their slides are somewhat truthful about performance, then looking at the XTX vs the 4080, the main AMD die is smaller then the equivalent Nvidia die, uses a older process(5nm vs 4nm), uses less power, uses significantly cheaper memory. All in all, this "should" mean that AMD's cards are going to cost a lot less to make then Nvidia for the same performance. If they can't or won't try to beat the 4090, they have to hammer Nvidia on performance to cost.

I'm still more interested to see if either starts making affordable cards again or are they going to let Intel just run rampant for a few years until its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Fair play AMD. I hope they're rewarded now with plenty of sales.

They may still fancy going after the 4090 at a later date - they've left room for a 7950!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

How did you do that, just go to AMD.com or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

You can buy it off amd buy it direct he was very lucky loads of people on the boards try buy one but it was hard because cards would go in seconds or minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There was stock of the 6900XT at launch alright.

I had one in basket but decided against it because I really wanted a 6800 XT.

In the end I got a 3080 because I was lucky to get it and the bots were all over the 6800 XTs every week so there was no chance.

But if you went on amd.com just as they launched you could have got a 6900 XT

Do you need an account to shop on amd.com?

whats really nice is that AMD released the 6900xt for a msrp of $999 they now have the 7900xt for $899, theyve lowered their generational msrp, really makes Nvidia look ****

No, but have PayPal logged in and ready to go so they don't sell out before you can complete purchase. Hopefully they'll have plenty available at launch.

It's weird how close the two cards are in pricing. I wonder if we might be in a Vega 56/64 situation, where the performance differential between the two is negligible. Can't see why anyone would opt for the 7900 XT to save €100 if there's a big gulf.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Very clever from AMD, i was on the fence about the nvidia 40 series for when my 1080ti can no longer keep up but these cards from AMD are much more interesting to me as someone who doesnt care for raytracing and how it performs in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For me this isn't even a competition. Even if I wanted to spend money on a 4070, 4080 or 4090, none of them will fit in my case, and I have no desire to go back to towers. These AMD cards will fit perfectly.

I currently have a 3080, so I'm not sure there's a massive need to trade up, but the XTX is quite tempting particularly since I could probably sell my 3080 for a few hundred. I do like DLSS 2 though.

Something tells me this is all too good to be true though. Availability is going to be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Wow. I'm honestly blown away by the pricing on these cards... The implication for this generation is significant, 7800, 7700 7600 could be $8,7,600 or less MSRP.

Then we have the 6800xt and 6700xt which are already coming down in price. Hopefully even more in the coming weeks.

Yeah the 7800 xt/xtx are the real interesting cards imo, if they compete and get close to the 4080 for 700/800 MSRP it will be amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah. It was very easy to get a 6900xt at launch and for several weeks afterwards. When seemingly everyone in Europe finally clued into the fact that 30 series card were going to be impossible to get and that the 6800 and 6700xt were very scarce it was only then that the 6900xt started selling out super fast as people were happy to just buy anything they could!

With the hype these two cards are producing and the price differential to the 40 series I'm not expecting it to be easy to land one this time but if the numbers stack up when independent testing has been done I'll probably try for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I'm seriously considering one of these cards. In dire need of a new build.

Would anyone know, or has even used these for streaming and video editing etc? I've usually heard Nvidia is the "go to" in that category, but would it really be worth the extra money for the 4080.

Won't know until their out. Streaming tends to be looked at in feature videos after the initial reviews.

AMD know it's a deficit though so they'll probably have focused on it for this release.

Hoping they've also closed the gap with the likes of Davinci Resolve where Nvidia had a big lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lads don't forget the prices AMD showed are US and ex Vat for the 7900 series so I'd expect we'll be looking at €1,250 or there abouts for Ireland and tired down from there.

Yeah I tend to forget that euro == USD now as well, and being Ireland we will be scalped to hell from lack of choice of online retailers

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

What will $999 end up been in Europe after tax?

Sorry I see now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm not sure if that's accurate, the Trump "China to US" tariffs changed it up a little.

Yeah the 6900 XT is currently listed at AMD.com for €1244.70 + delivery so ~€1300. When I bought in 2021 it was ~€1050. So probably ~€1300 delivered for the 7900 XTX unfortunately. Might be able to get it a bit cheaper from Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The pricing is excellent, fair play to AMD for being more customer-centric there. My concern though is that even if it does live up to the quoted performance gains it's not in the right areas imho, overkill in some and behind in others. To me the 30x0/6xx0 generation was the first that could properly handle raster 4k at high FPS (80-90 plus). RT however was only really viable in 4k (at ~60fps min) on a 3090 so they weren't really there imho, better but not mainstream level performance. This generation to me is where RT becomes really viable/enjoyable on 4K, but even with the quoted 50% increase in RT performance over their last gen I think that still leaves the XTX too far behind there. So what will you really need that raster level performance for if you have a high end card from last gen? Still if you didn't buy in last time then yes it's a really good value proposition, just knowing that you will be a gen behind on RT as it becomes more mainstream.

Advertisement