Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And yet so many of your types wore out your calculators working out how much CO2 Greta Thunburg emitted going to climate conferences

BESS is coming on stream much faster than you'd think, and it is perfect for frequency regulation

Lithium Ion Bess facilities are proven technologies but these are expensive, Redox flow batteries are where the grid scale storage future will lie

Co-Locating storage and generation with renewables will be other technologies, for example, with offshore wind, energy can be stored by inflating undersea bladders and using the water pressure to store potential energy.

There are dozens of potential technologies that can be used to balance supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

She is still traveling around no zoom for some.

Yeah, every ounce of CO2 Greta pollutes is a scandal, but when Irish emissions are mentioned, it's 'Nothing compared to china'

I have less of a carbon footprint compared to that woman. For example not been out of my local area in about 2 years due to covid. And when I do I walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It doesn`t matter what the Eirgrid dashboard says.

You were swallowing the line from the C.E.O. of Wind Energy Ireland that his members were responsible for a drop in wholesale electricity prices and unquestioningly regurgitating it. Under the marginal pricing policy they did not.

The price was determined by the cost of gas. That is the price Wind Energy Ireland got for their share of the mix. Nothing to do with wind, the wholesale price dropped because the price of gas dropped. Had it not the percentage of wind energy in the mix would have meant s f a to the price.

I would have though you have been around here long enough by now to at least understand the marginal pricing policy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Weekly Operational Constraints for week 44 list the Operational Limit for Inertia as at least 23,000MWs because it's already used in the wild. Using the momentum of the iron and copper in existing generators. In older updates they listed the high-inertial generators, mostly steam.

Once operating speed is achieved, the generator is synchronized with the network and behaves like a synchronous motor with no load, providing reactive power and shortcircuit power to the transmission network.

No it does not. Context of some rich white girl swanning around the world vs someone actually doing something.

Fair point, so show how wind didn't impact the wholesale prices during October so

• Advertisement

It's still hilarious how environmentally conscious pro-pollution folks get when it comes to that young lady

I was green before it was trendy thanks. The lady can do zoom if she likes. Nothing stopping her doing that. What's pro pollution btw ? another made up word ? I have not used public transport for years. Walk everywhere Get my food delivered so no extra carbon for that as others food is in the van. I could list tones more.

If you do not know by this stage how the marginal pricing policy work, especially after how many times numerous posters have explained, it then I would just be wasting my time and yours as well.

If you do not understand it by now, then there is little if any chance you ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Haha, undersea bladders, I've seen it all. 🤣

You must spend a lot of time browsing cleantechnica. The only estimate I've seen for Ocean Grazer's bladders is about $500,000 per MWh of capacity (about four times the price of Li-ion batteries). According to the ESB we need tens of TWh of storage, i.e. millions of Ocean Grazer's 10 MWh modules, at a cost of maybe $2 trillion (even if they weren't a loony idea on grounds other than price). It makes even the crazy cost of hydrogen look attractive.

Yes, there are lots of "potential technologies" ... until you whip out a spreadsheet and do the most basic of calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

LNG takes about ten times as much energy to make and transport as pipeline gas. If all of Russian gas is replaced by LNG imports next year, it will represent about 35 million extra tonnes of annual CO2 emissions. That's more than Ireland's entire emissions reductions targets for 2030. Given that we are going to be using fossil fuels for decades to come, it would be nice if the Greens got it through their skulls that indigenous hydrocarbon extraction is actually the lowest CO2 option. That said, it's nice to see that DECC finally extended Europa Oil and Gas's license to progress the Inishkea gas field this week. Nicer still if they would do the same for Barryroe but they are still stalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

I'm convinced at this stage you and others on this thread are nothing but trolls.

Engage selectively with posts, undertake massive link dumping exercises when the conversation moves in a direction you can't challenge, making completely unproven and uncosted claims but it's up to everyone to prove you wrong.

When anyone dares pitch an alternative, though, ye are first in line to demand evidence and detailed calculations or it is dismissed outright.

This thread has descended into what the Americans might call a "dumpster fire".

Its hilarious how some people pretend to care so much about per capita emissions when it's greta, but when anyone talks about Irish per capita emissions they say 'it doesn't matter because we're only small and china are big'

It's almost like they are just twisting the narrative to suit your political beliefs

Some day the EU will change the energy policy. and the low cost of wind power will further bring down the cost of wholesale electricity. Will you then become pro-wind? Or will you find another reason to object to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Definitely going to need more than the one at Moneypoint as we get higher SNSP. Do you know where else they plan on installing them? I'd imagine Dublin will need some more locally than Moneypoint sooner rather than later.

It's good to see them trialing an increase in RoCoF to 1Hz/s as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't ever expect to see the price of domestic electricity fall substantially, maybe there'll be a short term correction when present circumstances abate.

But all I've ever seen in my lifetime is slowly & at times rapidly increasing domestic electricity charges.

Why do you think this will change? It's business, there's money to be made and a knowledge of what the market will accept etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Just heard ad from the esb on the radio to check if the wind is blowing before ya put on the dryer. 😄

When do I turn on my newly installed heat pump. Oh wait that has to be on constantly. Or charge my new ev outside. Surely in hurricane type weather I can turn on all 3 at the same time😁

Fianna Fáil TD Dara Callery rows in behind the offshore wind plans for the West Coast which has a projected 5,000 jobs boost for the region

Well the E.U. are not exactly falling all over themselves at the minute to do that, so why is that. Too many with vested interest in wind that are more than happy to leave it so that those companies can continue to make huge profits perhaps ?

I do not know anyone, or indeed anyone on here, who does not want a clean reliable energy supply at an affordable price, but as we now see the green offshore plan is not that.

If greens cannot see that it is not economically viable then really all they are interested in is an ideology that if followed through on will flush our economy down the drain and the well-being of our citizens with it.

It`s called payback and the greenies really have nobody to blame for tha but themself for pushing her as some all knowing deity for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I couldn't care less about per capita emissions. I recognise that Irish per capita emissions are a complete red herring given the size of Ireland and it negligible effect on world emissions.

Greta presumably cares deeply about per capita emissions. Greta's emissions are clearly much greater than the average joe soap's emissions, yet she preaches to the rest of us.

There is no inconsistency in my position. There is in Greta's. She is a hypocrite, and those who ignore her inconsistency, are also hypocrites.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Here's one breakdown of offshore wind turbine costs https://guidetoanoffshorewindfarm.com/wind-farm-costs useful for the ratios of costs more than the actual numbers.

In Purple O&M are on going costs , which should reduce due to economies of scale and as lessons are learnt.

After 27 years you'd need to refurbish the Nacelle and Rotor. 11.7% and 5.6% of the project cost.

The rest are one off costs setting up the project that would not need to be replaced every 27 years.

Detailed, bottom-up assessment of this typical project gives the following inputs to the LCOE equation:

• Total CAPEX = £2,370,000/MW (with spend spread realistically over years leading up to first energy production)
    • Annual average OPEX = £76,000/MW
    • Lifetime = 27 years
    • WACC = 6.0%
    • Net annual average energy production = 4,471MWh/year/MW

The turbine would cost £1 million of that £2.73m - with the main replaceable bits as Gearbox 70,000 , Generator 100,000 and Blades 130,000 that's max 30% of the cost of the turbine, and just 12.7% of the CAPEX cost. And that's if they are replaced instead of refurbished which would drop the costs a lot. And that's assuming costs aren't reduced despite the huge efforts in that direction.

Thunburg knows that it will take drastic immediate action by the people who rule the world for us to have a chance of preventing the worst impacts of climate change.

Given the scale of the problem, her taking a train to a climate summit or sailing across the atlantic to speak in front of the UN to highlight the immediate and pressing concerns is not Hypocritical.

Thunburg doesn't follow the greenwashing and bad faith propoganda started by corporate interests and 'think tanks' that ask individuals to control their own carbon footprints.

No, the only way change will happen is if emissions are stopped at source, not at the 'individual consumer' level.

"For us to have even a small chance of avoiding setting off irreversible chain reactions far beyond human control, we need drastic, immediate, far-reaching emission cuts at the source. When your bathtub is about to overflow, you don’t go looking for buckets or start covering the floor with towels – you start by turning off the tap, as soon as you possibly can. Leaving the water running means ignoring or denying the problem, delaying doing anything to resolve it and downplaying its consequences."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/08/greta-thunberg-climate-delusion-greenwashed-out-of-our-senses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

In 27 years who knows what the technology landscape may be like for renewables though. The probability that these units will be refurbished after that timeframe isn't very high in my opinion, which could very well be wrong. So it could be an enormous outlay for a one time usecase. Now, this applies to any of the other options being talked about but a nuclear plant would have a longer timeframe for operational use.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Seems apt

• Advertisement

It still would make little or no difference.

Posters who see nothing but wind turbines keep talking about costs of wind energy and turbines coming down, yet fail to acknowledge that wind energy has increased by 33% here and nuclear plant costs are as likely to come down as more are built as turbines are, but no matter.

Taking your Hinkley C costings alone, (even though another poster here pointed out there are cheaper options).

Your total income for Hinkley over it`s 60 year life span would be 150 Billion. Even taking your replacement costs for turbines over that 60 year period, based (on them all surviving as anticipated for their 27 year lifespan in an environment as harsh as the open sea) then the CapEx alone for turbines for 60 years is still 100 Billion plus the capital expediture that would be required to replaces all those components twice in Hinkley`s lifespan Throw in green hydrogen production and storage and the capital expenditure alone for the E.S.B. plan would still do well not to be greater than the total cost of electricity too U.K. households and businesses over those 60 years of 150 Billion.

Hinkley will have provided the U.K. with electricity for 60 years while we would have spent the same amount alone over that period on just construction with the price of the electricity produced plus the investors return on such a massive investment still to come.Even based on Hinkley the E.S.B. plan is economically unviable by streets.

Post edited by charlie14 on

Advertisement