Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formica ~ Or ....?

Options
  • 01-11-2022 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭

Got a chest freezer here. Two foot square lid. Smaller freezer. Had it twenty years and have used its lid as a general work space. Abused the hell out of it, frankly. Now, it's disgusting. Rusty. Stained. Nasty. I don't even want to see it any more.

Tried. Rubbed it back to bare metal, as best I could. Slathered it in smooth, white Hammerite. First spot wasn't long in appearing 😯 Now? Square one, or worse. Front's lovely! Gleaming, show room white. Top's a bloody nightmare.

What am I do do, lads? I don't abuse it any more. Use a chopping board. Have a drip tray for my tea mug. But, there's going to be moisture. A spillage here and there.

Thought of sticking white Formica on it. Or even a sheet of wafer thin ply, drenched in white gloss? Which ever's cheapest and most readily available, I s'pose? Or, is there any other thing?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Epoxy floor paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Stigura

Be possibly handy, if I had a drop left over from something. Not something I imagine I could buy in sampler or touch up pots either. Two square foot???

Anyway, truth to tell? After even a bloody good hammering with the drill brush. Then genuine Hammerite proving about as much good as cheap emulsion, from China ...?

Oh, god, no! Just gone out there to fetch a mug of tea. It's bloody Hideous! Completely beyond the realms of paints now. Has To Be a cover up job. It's rough and pimply as a toads back. Big, rusty patches. It's just bloody horrible! I'd show ye, but I'd never live it down 😧

Hardboard's no good. Tried that before, elsewhere. Gets stained and greasy looking. Glossed up? Dunno. What ye reckon? I'd sooner use ply, anyway. Hardboard's just so tacky.

Fifty odd years ago, in a land far away, I happened to pass a Formica Shop, every day, believe it or not. That's all he did in there. Cut ye any size of and shade. Would ye believe, in the same block was the Foam Shop?! Cut bloody foam for ye! Imagine if that place went up?!

Anyway ..... Where the hell am I gonna get a two foot square of white Formica? (First world problems, I know. But, it turns my guts, looking at that thing. And I'm not one for chucking out the perfectly good, just on looks)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Plenty of old school household shope still stock sticky vinyl (sometimes not so sticky). Also foamy underlay (for tablecloths ?) nicely decorated.

Perspex on top !

Perspex?! Now, That's thinking outside the box! Hmm ...

Cut to size. Short tek screws in the corners? Oh. They'd stick up. Do they Do dome headed tek's?

Just thinking; I'd need a sheet of something white beneath it. (Local provisioners only has clear perspex)

Old school shops? Ones we had now sell kebabs 🤐

Thanks, though. It's a new angle to ponder.

It's sorted, lads! " Meercat ", discussing a completely unrelated issue, over on Electrics, pointed me at " D - C - Fix ", sticky backed plastic sheeting! Perfect! 😁

• Advertisement

Here ye go, lads.Thought I'd put this down here, as a reference, and encouragement, to others 🙂

The Nightmare:

Hit with a belt sander:

All right. Screw This! After I hit it with the Paint Stripper!

Exact same freezer. Thanks to D-C-Fix on that lid! 👌

😎 Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

You should use Oxalic Acid to remove rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I preferred the distressed look, you'd have paid for that look 20 years back. 🤣

But good job all of the same! 😉

Distressed? It was having a full blown break down! 😄

Advertisement