Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need for Speed - Unbound

Options
  • 06-10-2022 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭

Coming out December 2nd, 2022. Mix of modern graphics with anime characters and effects. I'm actually really liking the style except for the in race effects like wings, hopefully they can be turned off but maybe more gameplay will give a better look at it and might be okay. Most importantly, the racing looks class and UNDERGROUND as it should be. Also confirmed to be an offline single player campaign with a multiplayer mode which is just lovely to hear.

Also, Current Gen only - PS5, Xbox Series X/S & PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just watched the trailer. I saw a single Porsche and that makes me happy as there may not be any super/hypercars. Looks like it could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I hope it stays in older tuner cars instead of 2 races and you're in a Koenigsegg.

Fingers crossed the weird style things were just for the trailer.

Offline single player is a refreshing change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Near impossible to tell anything about the gameplay from that trailer, but it is Criterion so I'm cautiously hopefully there'll be something interesting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

There will be a free 10 hour trial of the game on the 29th of November for those who have Game Pass Ultimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I installed NFS Heat again yesterday and it turns out I never even completed the 1st chapter so wanted to give it a proper go but just not having fun with the driving. I'm regretting my Mustang starter car as driving basically consists of tapping handbrake to drift around any kind of corner but it just feels so disconnected, it's not fun. On top of that, story races are level 200, I'm 180 and they are impossible to win so i to do a bunch of races for money to buy parts for a car i don't enjoy driving. I can see why i gave up on it. Might start again with a different car.

• Advertisement

I played through the ones I never got around to playing recently.

Payback was probably the one I enjoyed out of them all, the NFS reboot with the live actors was all sorts of cringe and Heat was just not fun.

Ha, felt the opposite about Payback and NFS Reboot. The voice acting and story in Payback mixed with awful offroad missions made me quit that early on. I really enjoyed the cheesiness of the NFS reboot in 2015. Great graphics but it was missing the magic it cried to recreate from Underground. The racing became boring as well and that has been NFS's biggest problem, for a racing game, the racing misses the mark so often. I've never played Horizon but always hear how they nailed the arcade racer feel. Hopefully NFS can make the right adjustments for Unbound.

Last time I played NFS Heat, I was more interested in what type of trackie bottoms to put on my character.

Great video showing a small clip from ever NFS game over the last near 30 years. These.....are not how I remember them looking :D

My hopes have been dashed. Car list seems the same as Heat...

I enjoyed Heat up to a point when these fast cars came into play. Like Horizon, it's too fast to enjoy. But Criterion have managed to make fast but enjoyable games before. Why isn't there another Burnout already!

• Advertisement

1992 Honda NSX Type-R in the list. I love them.

Some great cars in the last but you don't not need that many Lambo's in an NFS. It's like they already paid a bucket load for the license, they're gonna use as many cars as they can but like potential said, it gets boring using those in Street racing especially when their mods become less and less. If you can take a JDM and keep it updated to match them, then great but usual races become blurs when super/hyper cars are introduced.

Wonder will the Porsche RSR be the car to use like in Heat. That thing was a cheat code.

Disappointed it's not full of actual tuner cars, just a heap of supercars again.

The 10 hour trial at the end of November should be a good indicator if I want to buy the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah, the brake-to-drift physics are my biggest gripe about the newest NFS games. Forza Horizon's success has shown that there's a market out there for street racing games with simplified "simcade" physics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I still have the original, on my 3DO, and I still love it.

The PS2 title, Hot Pursuit II, is probably one of my favourites of the series, even now.

Hot Pursuit on the last and current gen consoles is pretty good too

Small bit of gameplay today. The ingame cartoon effects are a bit much, especially that icon that appears above your car. NFS did tweet that you can remove those effects so at least that's something.

Cars look class but racing looks very brake to drift in that. Need a longer vid without the creek visually assaulting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I'd love another Burnout but Criterion really isn't the same studio that made those games, many of their key staff have long since moved on since that series' heyday, they're very much just another internal EA studio these days.

That said, I'm still hopeful for NFS Unbound to be a good game, it feels like this one is putting effort in to reinvigorate the franchise after a few years in the wilderness.

For a street racing game, there's very few "street" cars in it. That's my problem. I have zero interest in anything that requires massive money to just buy (IRL). Modifying street cars is somewhat realistic and draws me in because I could do it IRL, but just being able to afford a Lambo or Ferrari, etc, not realistic and pulls me out.

Yes, I realise I'm talking about realism in a anime NFS, but it applies to all games. Even GT7, I don't like the races above A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I just can't get into these need for speed games at all, the whole brake to drift is ridiculous maybe I'm just so used to racing games like Forza,F1, Assetto Corsa. I tried to get into Heat 2 or 3 times but an hour is the max I can manage

Fashion brands Puma, Fila, Versace and others to appear in the game. Link here.

That's exactly what I want in a racing game. Who doesn't remember the classic cars of Puma, Fila and Versace?!

They announced you can pre-order the Palace edition. That's a clothing brand. Gets you the game 3 days early and a full wardrobe of Palace clothes for your character. Jesus, sounding more like a fashion show than a car game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There's the Ford Puma!

Not exactly a classic racer though 😁

Apparently the Ford Puma will be replaced by the Ford Nike 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Advertisement

The exclusive Ford Nike Air-Max (formerly Ford Puma T7) 😉

Comes with a boot full of hoodies, trackie bottoms, t-shirts and Air-Max trainers 😉

Advertisement