Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I hope to god I can unlock my bank account, I want to play it so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Not sure if this is the place to ask... I'm considering getting NowTV. But a lad in the house says he has an Android box and was hoping to set up IPTV on it. Does anyone know anything about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

13900K thermal throttles after a few seconds when using it for all core workloads and consumes a tonne of power. That's even with a high end AIO cooler. Reminds me of that high core unlocked CPU Intel showed the world a few years back that needed a chiller to keep it cool.

Trades blows in gaming with AMD's 7000 series. Depends on games as the top spot goes both ways and then also the 5800X3D is still good which shows good things for AMD 7000X3D. I'd say AMD will sell a lot of those at release as they haven't sold many 7000 series CPU's.

I think the craziest thing is that all these high-end CPUs are still more-or-less worthless at high resolutions (i.e. above 1440p)

Though I do wish I'd held off on upgrading my 3600 until the 5800X3D was out & dropping in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What CPU do you currently own? The cheapest so far I have seen a new 5800X3D in Europe is €450 delivered to Ireland. It was cheaper for those in Germany. I have seen cheapish prices in US but their pricing is odd as in you have to add tax on top of the price which is weird. I have no idea how they go about daily business even if you went food shopping the price displayed is not the price you pay. Madness.

• Advertisement

So, I'm looking at putting together a new rig for my self and probably two or three of my mates as well.

I've been thinking about AM5 for myself but at the same time the platform cost is a bit much right now. Even though over time, it'll work out if I get a decent motherboard now to use in the future. I might wait until next year for that jump.

However, If I see a good deal on an AM4 CPU, like the 5600x, I would be tempted. Seeing as there will always be the 5800x3d to upgrade to in the future.

What kind of motherboard would you recommend for and AM4 build at the moment?

I'm playing on 1440p, the lads mostly on 1080p, will hang on until we know about RNDA3 before pulling any triggers. But what GPU of this gen would you say is a good choice for the 5600x at those resolutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have a 5820k on a x99 platform. If I wanted I could max it out and pick up a 6950x for 200 quid, or 25% of original cost 7 years later. A cpu which would now be smoked by a 5600x. Which would cost around 350 with mobo at the moment. And my board and cpu are old, which means far more likely to fail in the immediate future.

Its very rare for me to see circumstances where a cpu upgrade makes sense over a gpu upgrade, or just moving to a new platform. One of the few times would have been early ryzen to 3rd gen.

So if I was going to buy, I would bite the bullet and pick up a DDR5 intel or AMD platform rather then buy a older AM4 platform right now. If the price tanks then it might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Or, just buy a 5600X and B550 for 300 and run it until it's obsolete.

For the most part, by the time a 5600X needs upgrading, the 5800X will also be obsolete and it'll actually make more sense to buy another mid-range platform for another 300 in five years time, a good portion of which you'll make back from selling the old gear.

The whole concept of "future-proofing" is a waste of money for the majority of people. Just buy what's good value and will suit your needs and the best at which your budget allows, be that a A520M and 5600X, B550M and 5800X, whatever.

It's why I upgrade every two-three years. The old gear still has reasonable value, the new mid-range stuff isn't expensive, and I get a big performance boost.

Yeah tbh this is kind of what I'm thinking. Especially at 1080p, surely the 5600x will last at least another two or three years? One of my mates is actually still using an i5 4460!!

I've had a R5 1600 since launch, I bought it thinking yea, ill upgrade etc etc. But when covid hit and prices went up I just didn't bother. Its still an OK cpu I guess. So now ill probably just gift this to someone for a low spec rig or a 1080 machine for a kid.

• Advertisement

5600x will most likely last a lot longer if its just gaming your looking at.

The 5820k(6 core/12 thread), a 8 year old cpu is mostly GPU limited on a 3840x1440 ultrawide in modern games.

NVIDIA engineers light bulb moment...

Edit: Older posts showing

Horizon and God of War were smooth as silk

Uncharted has random crashes if not run in Admin Mode.

Also most recent NVIDIA drivers will refuse to launch the game at all, past the character portraits slideshow.

Roll back fixed that however

• Registered Users Posts: 54,162 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

All I know is that it runs like absolute dream for me, never had issues with crashes ever and using the most up to date drivers

Definite issue, had me thinking it was just me there.

For me I had to roll back drivers and run as Admin. From that one it's like butter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

So this is a post for the people on this thread that are younger than me but not by much ( 40 - 50 bracket ) .

You finally get enough money to build a decent PC that will last a good few years without needing upgrades , so 7700 and 1080 in early 2017 . 2022 now and it's creaking a bit, so you think it's almost 6 years time to build another one ............

That is swiflty followed by " A MOTHERBOARD IS HOW F**K**G MUCH ! "

I know there was a pandemic and scalper and miners and inflation and and and .......... but €300 for a non bells and whistles ddr5 board to take a 13600 ?

I take 6 years off and this is what ye leave happen , it's the last time ye will be left in charge .

:)

It's why I don't recommend Raptor Lake for budget gaming.

Get a 5600 or 5800X3D and stick it on a €120 board with cheap DDR4.

I guarantee it will last as long as the 13600.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

Hey men, you know what they say: if you build it they will come! People are willing to pay 300€ so that's what we get... but you're right; 200€ for a quality board is my maximum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Thinking of ordering this.

Currently on: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk, Radeon RX 5700 DD 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3600, Alienware QD-Oled.

Probably need to upgrade the GFX card then too.

Should I get an aftermarket cooler to go with the CPU?

Post edited by T-b0n3 on

Get an aftermarket but you don't need a high-end model. Any 120mm tower from be quiet, Arctic or Scythe will do.

The chip doesn't run hot, and it can't be overclocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JuXo

also looking at this 5800x3D, nice deal but dont know do i even need it, playing at 4k 60hz TV and not planning to change that

current pc specs, and nothing wrong with that, its still beast for me, there is no game you cant play:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

EKWB AIO 360 (push - pull 6 fans)

ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming II 

32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 3200 MHz

EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming

PNY XLR8 CS3030 m.2 500GB + heatsink

Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD

Corsair 5000D Airflow

Deepcool RF120M fans x13 (6 intake, 7 exhaust)

Seasonic Focus GX 650 Gold

Prices of RX6900xt cards have shot up on German websites.

Well over a grand for the XFX Merc version. Was around 800 two or three days ago.

Is this pre BF pricing? IE in a week they say it's reduced 50% (one of them is looking for 1600)

Yeah that happens in a lot of places, this time of year.

The sale law needs to be ammended so that price rises can not happen in the weeks prior to a "Sale"

I want to do a bit of research into a build for a friend. He works as a video editor and wants something to use at home for his own work and do some gaming.

Main programs are Premier Pro, After Effects, Blender. And then he would play a bit of CS and indie games, as well as the odd console title if he is interested.

Which of those three programs would be the most demanding, so I can look into a spec for him?

Intel with a onboard gpu, maybe a low tier GPU for CS. ARC maybe but its probably going to cause issues with drivers at some point.

So, from some research over the past couple of days I think the spec will be something like:

12700k, 32GB RAM, RTX 3000 series GPU.

Apparently both intel and Nvidias hardware works better with Adobe software so it'll have to be those options over a potentially cheaper AMD set up with a beefier GPU.

Trying to figure out if the 13600k with DDR4 is still better than the 12700k or if I could get him a DDR5 set up in his budget

Think it really depends on what he is doing.

The GPU in premiere does transformative tasks via either Cuda or OpenCL, but for encoding/decoding video it can use any Intel/Nvidia hardware acceleration. From seeing stuff in the past, the lowest end Nvidia cards(as a example) perform as well as the highest end ones(I think Linus did a bunch of testing on it). And there isn't much difference between Intel and Nvidia for encoding.

After- Effects doesn't use much of either I think.

So basically if he is going to pick up a GPU and the worst he plays is CS, then he should aim for the cheapest GPU he can get his hands on.

The newer Intel ARC gpus are using the same QuickSync engine that Intel has supported for far longer then Nvidia and removes the ram limitation the onboard GPU had, but its not supported at the moment.

Puget systems is a great resource for content creation

https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/video-editing-workstations/adobe-premiere-pro/hardware-recommendations/

I believe the M1/M2 macs are extremely good in content creation with Adobe.

• Advertisement

Thanks! I've been using Puget for reference. I've seen the stuff about the GPU not really making much difference across the RTX 3000 series range.

Which is why I went with the 3060 with 12 GB of VRAM. Though I'm aware that there are new open GL drivers that might make AMD perform better? (But still not as good as Nvidia?) I'm not really into video editing so I need to look into all these things.

CS was probably the wrong choice. He wants to play Elden Ring, will probably give Witcher 3 next gen a go, and then any game like Assassin's creed/horizon or whatever comes out in the next few years.

But he has said that he would prefer the PC to be content creation focused, but can play a few games. So he would be happy with 1080 high settings I guess...

Id love to put in a 3070 if the budget allowed or maybe 6700xt if AMD GPUs work well with Adobe.

I've made a separate thread with a build looking for feedback if you're interested in having a look there.

Advertisement