Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I just got the trade in estimate from Tesla and it really is way off the mark from what I was expecting and well below what was offered from two BMW dealers when I was looking at trading in against an i4 ... and I mean about €10k below.

I need to look at other options to sell the 330e - either privately or see if a dealer will take it off my hands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was there for two weeks too, would have said Model 3 by a long way, followed by the Y, a surprising number of X (inc a rather nice looking Plaid) and not that many S's (of which most were nose cone), Florida

Post edited by slave1 on

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I ordered on Friday October 14th at about 09:40, about 5 minutes after a pal sent me a text message showing the price had dropped 😁

Took me 1s to decide to buy, 5s to decide on blue, then a bit over 4 minutes to run up to the missus to give a convincing speech that we should buy the car even though she reckoned we don't need a new car (we don't) 😂

And yes Feb/Mar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Excellent. Now where's that ship tracking thread gone 🤔 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

One was replying to a question on a forum which mentioned BMW....... anyway I shall not bother engaging with one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All opinions are obviously worthwhile but when they are given by people with no experience and a repetition of the same crap, it gets tiresome.

BMW will always quote higher for a BMW as they will take it directly into their stock.

Tesla don’t take trade ins if other brands. Same way they price Tesla’s more for trade ins, they will take them direct into their stock.

The best option is always sell privately for a true value of the car.

Also worth noting that the i4 has had 2 price increases this year alone. It’s up €7k already so this might play into the cost to change.

People with no experience........ how judgemental...... but perhaps it is you that has none. I bought a Tesla with my money, it was mainly driven by my brother, but I drove it and it was a terrible car, but one is not allowed to be critical of Tesla on this forum....

No you can be critical of course. It’s your BMW fanboy isn’t that comes across from previous posts.

BMW is not a premium car anymore. Your 530e and the i4 is a mass produced recycled plastic car, just like all the others.

You claimed you have no issues with the BMW yet when questioned you always stated you get loan cars from BMW when the car needs work so I don’t know?

Your ok to dish out the Tesla thrash talk but when someone points out the BMW failings you dig your head into the sand.

Anyway, let’s hope your battery doesn’t fall out or crap itself and leave you standard like the other i4 owners. Let’s also hope that bumper doesn’t fall off like you said happened the Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I am a bit torn with the 'premium' comments.

I went from a Mercedes CLS into a Model 3 and they are very different but I am not sure that I feel that the Model 3 is less premium..

The CLS had lots of buttons, nice seats and all put together very well.

The Model 3 has hardly any buttons, but the ones that are there have a quality feel, the screen resolution and response is very premium, I find the seats quite comfortable (probably not as hugging as the CLS AMG seats)... I was in a new Peugeot (ICE) car a couple of weeks ago and it felt cheap and nasty (sorry - but it did) - and I don't get that at all from the Model. It is very minimalist but what is there is of a premium quality (in my view).

Aside: Lights are crap compared to CLS (auto-dim), auto wipers are ok but not as good as CLS. Steering feedback is better on Model 3 to CLS which was a huge surprise to me..

I will be interested to see how the interior wears over time also... CLS leather was great in this respect.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesla are not a premium car, they are merely a premium-priced car.

Step into a mercedes or bmw or audi equivalent, and, while the EV stuff might be better integrated in a Tesla software wise, the interiors are night and day.

I'm on my third Tesla so I'm not anti-tesla at all, far from it, but there's no point deluding yourself. I cross shopped the i4 and iX when we bought our X and , the main criteria we picked the tesla for were 1) SuC network and 2) available now. The bimmers were exponentually nicer premium wise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Yeah .. the i4 is just too much for what I want to spend ... I'm driving very little these days and would prefer a decent holiday with the difference !

selling privately will be a challenge in its self ... how do people buy / sell privately for €30k+ cars ... the last car I sold privately was about 20 years ago !

I’ve 2 BMW’s in the house currently, 520d and 530e. I’ve had more BMW cars than any other car brand but I’m not afraid to say they are not premium anymore IMO.

I think they used to a premium

product but they slowly went down with the E90/E60 onwards. And I had a couple of each of them!

But listen, choice is good and to be honest I would expect them to be more premium than any other brand based if the price you’re paying for that badge I just don’t think they deserve the repetition fanboyism from certain people.

Quite easily. I’d it’s priced correct it will sell. The last car I bought were €34k privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I sold a 330e a good few years back for close to 30k. The lad that bought it took it to to mechanic that was about 2 miles from my house and after he gave it the all clear (bar one thing it had to go back to Conlon's for under warranty ) deal was done. Quick look on carzone and there are a good few for sale. Usual story applies though, price it right and it should move relatively well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Massive vibrating in front of them.. You must be having fond memories of your MF 135

Some of the BMW diesels are like that. I tried to stick to the 6 pots ones though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've had e60/1s, a couple of e46, an e36. My all time favorite bimmer is an e38 750il prefacelift in m sport trim on m-para wheels. My favorite bimmer i've owned was my first e60 535d. The bmw prestige has been watered down somewhat, but it's the same for merc, jag, audi to a lesser extent, etc as they chase market share in smaller segments.

That being said, I think the most recent models like iX, i4 are a good throw back in terms of premium feel. They are night and day to the Tesla equivalent. I've had an S (original facelift) and done 60k-70k km in it. Comparing it to a 7 series it;'s not in the same league, and comparing to a 5 series it's closer but still nowhere near. (It's a 5 series segment car but priced higher). Then I had an X for 3 months and 14k. Compared to the iX it felt bland. The seats were massively worse and the driving feel was simply absent. I had a test drive in an iX and it was like driving a bentayga or cullinan in comparison. Finally, I bought a 3. We've done just 7k km from new in 2 months of ownership and it's possibly my favorite driving feel tesla. However put against its comparison, the i4, it's night and day.

You could say the same for the Mercedes EQ range (except the EQC isnt a comparison to the model X), the Audi ETron range etc. Teslas are software on wheels with mad acceleration. Germans do premium so so so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I also had a lowball trade in from Tesla for an ID.4 ( by €5-€8k) ,maybe the secondhand market is cooling a bit faster then expected…or maybe it’s just Tesla.

• Advertisement

Second hand market is cold now.

If you searched my posts, I stated that over a month or longer ago.

I regularly buy and sell cars and you could see it towards the end of the summer.

It didn’t help with all the talk on energy prices, recession etc It made people step back and stop changing their cars etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

We have a 3 series and a model 3 at home and I'd never take the BMW over the Tesla. It's like going to your granny's house with flowery carpets and wallpaper in comparison to the slick Tesla interior. The lag when you press the accelerator would be enough to put you off anyway.

It does have loads of buttons though and I'd say my wife has never pressed 90% of them.

I'm sure the i4 is nicer but it's also much more expensive so you'd expect it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In fairness that's because the Model 3 is an EV and your BMW is probably a diesel? Night and day. I'd drive some pretty ugly EV like a Leaf over any diesel BMW myself.

Some good points. The BMW is premium, the other isn't, not in the same league. Germans definitely build the best cars.

It's a petrol actually 😁 it's pretty nice but as a 2017 the tech is more like my old 2005 golf than my 2019 Model 3. Surprised it doesn't have a tape deck, does have a CD player though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Back to tesla talk.

my tesla charger was delivered today. Wont install until im sure the car is on the way, but, any recommendations for tesla charger installers near north wicklow, that will sort out the seai grant (wouldnt have a clue where to ask).

called tesla today, finance nearly done, tesla waiting on seai grant confirmation from broker (whatever that means).

Tesla said they can cater for personalised plates. Im wondering if anyone has an idea how long it might take to get to wicklow 1500 cars. My guess is beyond march?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

You have to apply for the grant yourself. It's linked to your MPRN number. Only takes a few minutes online and approval lasts for 6 months. You must do this before you get the charger installation done.

All chargers are basic installs. 3 wires.

The Tesla charger is no different so any sparks can do it. RECI if going for grant obviously.

But as mentioned above, apply for the grant now. Then get it fitted asap. No point waiting as you don’t need an EV to get the grant so you have it there ready to go rather then wait IMO.

Keep the Tesla receipt as you need to submit it for the grant.

I got a friend that's a RECI, safe electric or whatever it is to do mine a few years ago. Only took an hour or so and wasn't expensive. Also bought the charger myself. No grant then for business buyers

• Advertisement

I done the same over the years. Bought a few second hand and paid a mate to connect to CU and certify. Got grant though 😃

Current Tesla charger cost me €80 to a demo crew that were knocking down a commercial site. There was 5 of them on the walls and they were told keep what you want!

Advertisement