Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who said it was?

Another willful misunderstanding of the point being made is clocked up.

All it takes is that little hesitation when putting the ballot in the box. Better the divil you know.

O'Broin knows too, that is why the fulsome apology, and to think, just yesterday there were people on here telling us he was right to be calling for sacking of public sector employees. We even had someone defending it on the basis that he might just be a fixed term employee. So much for SF looking after those in precarious employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭notsocutehoor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A further note on Eoin O’Brion’s Chief Economist backtrack. There was a pointed statement from David Cullinane TD backing his comrade.

‘We in Sinn Féin firmly believe in the independence of the civil service, it’s a really important cornerstone of democracy.’

Which sounds great, but I have not forgotten David in the euphoria of his election win in the GE roared ‘Up the RA’.

Now David’s first reaction was -

1) To deny he said it

2) When he was told there was cameras - he said he did not realise it was being filmed

3) When he had to admit he said it, suddenly he was ‘proud of his Republicanism and makes no apology for it’

-

So I can see a certain cognitive dissonance with SF. On the one hand we get David assuring the electorate that SF view the ICS as a ‘cornerstone of democracy’.

On the other the very same individual seemed to deny his Republican ‘Up the RA’ stuff and only proud of it when he was no longer unable to deny it.

So myself as a voter in the ROI what am I to think?

On the one hand the very same individual (David Cullinane) seems to be concerned about ‘Cornerstones of Democracy’ yet the very same man has a tendency to shout ‘Up the RA/tiocfaidh ar la’ when he thinks no one (but SF supporters) are watching. Then he claims not to apologise for his Republicanism? Surely if Cullinane was truly proud of his ‘Republicanism’ he would not have denied it in the first place?

This did not happen in1920/30/40/70/80/90 but 2020!

Now in 2022 I as a voter am supposed to feel reassured by Cullinane showing concern for ‘Cornerstones of democracy?’

Is he just telling me what I want to hear? Because if the goal of SF was to reassure the electorate, wouldn't you think SF could have chosen someone else to pontificate on the 'cornerstone of democracy' ?

--

What I take from it i SF believe in these statements but have to distance themselves from them for votes. As MLM said at the time of the Cullinane issue -

'Mary Lou McDonald urges TDs not to make comments that distract from party’s agenda'

The Eoin O'B issue with the Chief Economist seems to have the similar level of backtracking.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

He's obviously telling you what you want to hear, devious or what

I am at loss to know where SF stand, they only seem to backtrack when 'caught out' and are worried that it effects their standing with the electorate. But it seems at odds with SF's republican principles, as they do not even recognise any name of state they purport to represent, so how easy is it for SF not to respect the institutions they have to work with when the cameras are not rolling?

MLM made it clear to David in 2020 that -

Mary Lou McDonald urges TDs not to make comments that distract from party’s agenda

-

But again this does not instil me with confidence as a voter. What is the parties agenda? Not to get caught in public and keep the real views internal, until power is achieved?

You, a diehard SF supporter can avoid to blaise about such issues, as it is a means to an end for you, you can sit back and laugh/snigger make flippant comments.

But when/if SF get into power in the ROI they will have a strong influence of the electorates lives. I surely have the right to ask questions as a member of that electorate, as to SF's true intentions? We have already seen how going too fast too soon can cause massive unease in the financial markets in Britain. So it is imperative that SF have the the confidence of the markets and public while they strive toward's the 'party's agenda', whatever that maybe.

• Advertisement

I think your point about the markets in the UK is a really important one. We have seen the damage that has done, and our electorate should make sure we don't go down that route.

It's surprising that our markets haven't mirrored the UK markets given that the markets are fully aware that SF are almost certain to be in power after the next election and that Eoin O'B & Co will be getting rid of all the Civil Servants, maybe they're just waiting for the election to be over to react

I would guess that the markets think like me, that the opinion polls are mid-term ones and reflect little on how the public will vote in 2025. Too many things can happen between now and then to be sure.

Even then, the most likely outcome of the current polls if they reflect an election held tomorrow is the return of the current government, though probably needing a few independents to back them up.

You won't see the markets react until SF are in serious negotiations for government. Until then, the markets won't take them seriously, they are considered a bit of a joke party.

You're probably right that the markets think like you

• Advertisement

You won't see the markets react until SF are in serious negotiations for government. Until then, the markets won't take them seriously, they are considered a bit of a joke party.

What timescale would you think FDI would be looking at when deciding on a major investment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Watching Marylou's speech last night, I thought she sounded tired and robotic during it.

She delivered a good whinge, tried to sound positive about SF changing the system, but didn't manage to make it believable.

Confirmation of my opinion appears in the indo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

CHHHAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGGEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

As bad as our judiciary is you want it controlled by a semi criminal organization itself involved in organized crime ?

lol the beginning's of a police state that ye claimed existed for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Deflected most questions asked on the News at One today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Thisisthedaywewinaway

Ive noticed that latley. Just like her opponents in Govt she hasn't asw many questions latley. Our 'Journalists' rarely ask hard questions or question any TDs answers so they all get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Ha ha . having to announce at your ard feis that your own armed gang isnt like the other armed gangs😏😏 to a room full of people who know its a lie but have to pretend its not

'No comparison' between Provisional IRA and gangland criminals, claims Mary Lou McDonald (msn.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

When Shinnergeddon happens, as is seemingly inevitable now, some may well have difficulties adjusting to the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

she's 100% correct.

nobody is or has to pretend anything and there is no lie.

gangland criminals are criminals whereas the provisional IRA were a liberation/freedom force.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

No they are not ‘100%’ different the provincials frequently veered into the gangland. And it is clear with the Hutch/Dowdall case that those old ‘networks’ remain.

• Advertisement

While at the same time ignoring they have done feck all in their many decades in power in NI.

Basically like me in ordinary maths class at school, look busy but avoid the difficult questions. Stick to the handy a and b questions. Come back to c later/maybe. I knew the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they are absolutely 100% right and correct and all else.

even if the old networks remain, hardly anybody cares, it's irrelevant.

SF are a modern political party and quite a lot of the public are seeing this and are in all likely hood going to give them their vote.

SF will be the government north and south and that is how it is going to be, it's a case of when and not if that happens.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's where you are wrong - a whole damn sight of people care.

If you're under 40, you probably recall little of the war up north. The rest of us who grew up in those years know very well what went down and where SF come from. Some things you never forget.

Is it relevant? Nobody cares? I do and am sure others do. SF are a modern political party? They are a party like no other on the British Isles. I will give you that much. They have many astute politicians and advisers.

But the truth is SF as a party is a lot more multi layered than an average constitutional party. SF straddles a few different worlds, two jurisdictions with different mindsets of those placed in those areas.

Then there is also the fact of ex provincials looking for handy money from shady sources, also ex provincials carrying out vendettas after bar fights in their community’s etc.

The truth is if there was a Dowdall/Hutch case involving other politicians that were never involved in SF. There would be calls for mass resignations and a GE. But those norms don’t apply to SF. Until they do they will not be a true modern political party. Merely a gang, with modern political party trappings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Thought Mary was extremely patronising and condescending in her interview on news talk today, and just wasn't answering the questions put to her.

Think the gloss is coming off them, especially given they've no answers to anything and that penny is dropping widely.

I am not sure on the latter part, there is a whole younger generation in the ROI who have not lived through SF weaving between criminality and constitutionally dependent on their audience. As another poster said ‘people don’t care’. I assume that poster is of that younger generation who has fallen for the SF ROI brand, the ‘new’ apparently vibrant modern political party.

But for the likes of me, when I think SF- I don’t think of transparency, and honesty.

I think flag waving tricolours, Funeral ‘events’ current and past. ‘Comrade’ this and that.

Calling to the past while simultaneously avoiding the same, when it suits. ‘Up the RA/Tiocfaidh ar la’ when they think non SF are not watching.

And it certainly does not conjure up the image of an astute SF economist, in my mind.

Then there is the SF mental gymnastics of SF phraseology.

Phrases such as ‘I do not condemn’ xyz. ‘I am not a member of’ xyz ‘but will not disassociate from my Republicanism’

I have heard the phrases over the years from SF they become very familiar. And the cherry on top for me is SF STILL steadfastly refusing to say the name of ANY state they currently represent the constituents of..

SF create their own reality instead. But the younger generation don’t take note of such nuances of Republicanism. They don’t care, they don’t remember, they don’t notice the signs.

A dog-whistle to the climate change deniers.

"On climate action she said Sinn Féin would focus on getting the practicalities right rather than on targets."

So will she stick to the targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think there is a good chance SF have peaked in the polls and when the serious debates begin before the next election they will dip in support . They have a good chance of the most seats but nowhere near the number required to make power inevitable the current government will still have a few more options to hold on .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So, essentially no targets. The "practicalities" are to reach the targets.

Are SF committed to the "practicalities" of the Paris Environmental Treaty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Thisisthedaywewinaway

Get to bookies, good money to be made on them predictions

Advertisement