Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hogget ram vs ram lamb

• 02-10-2022 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭

Lads, pros and cons of each?

Would I be taking too much of a risk throwing in a ram lamb with the ewes?

Are all the best hogget rams gone at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I wouldn’t like to solely rely on a ram lamb on his own. Be better to have an older lad as back up imo. Depends on number or ewes too and when you let out the ram. The later you let him out the more busy he’d be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I let out a ram lamb and a Hogget this year with a new crayon raddle on each ….after week one they had 35 of the 60 ewes tipped,

the Hogget nearly had his crayon gone while the ram lamb had very little used.

obviously the Hogget was doing all the work

Well this comment didn't age well ..... yes the hogget done all the work but 18 of 22 ewes have repeated !!!

A perfect example of choosing quantity over quality !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Does it look like both are sub fertile?

In future will you split the ewes and allocate a ram to the appropriate number of ewes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd definitely fertility test the two rams now and take out the infertile ram ....... or get a proven ram off a neighbour be fore the season is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd put in a fertile ram now and be testing the other lads then!

It goes to show how important it is to have rams prepared for breeding season. A few things lads should do is fertility test a month before breeding, check feet and pare if necessary a month before breeding and footbath weekly then. Plenty minerals too and they're usually fairly sound for 5 or 6 weeks then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You'd get a ram tested very quick, they'd be unfortunate if the two were infertile.

You'd be at risk of getting another infertile ram if you bought a ram

It looks like the hogget is infertile and wouldn't let the lamb near the ewes

Ya so the chances of both being infertile is very slim….they were in top order preparation wise….I didn’t fertility test because the probe is too severe on rams in my opinion.

i have two more rams with another batch….all ewes being bunched together tomorrow and 3 ram lambs left with them

Advertisement