Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

O'Brien is a fine 13. He's a good passer, good defender, good tackler technically. Personally, I think he might well be better at 13 than on the wing. He's not a natural finisher. He's certainly better at 15 than on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I do! We've been down this road before. These lads ,POM&VDF, work better with say Doris and Conan. I'd have one on the bench and Conan at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Better to find out if you're right tomorrow over say next September.

The A match will be defining for some lads. A cap against Fiji next week could be up for grabs. I can't believe the talent coming up. It's hard to imagine where we are as compared to when Schmidt left. While I don't like the XV tomorrow, I think the EI tour and tonight's match are great opportunities for lads.

Look at center; Osborne, Moore, Frawley and perhaps Hawkshaw in a few years. Frawley is obviously viewed at oh but, he's certainly a really good 12. I'm not considering Hume ad he's already capped! It's mad. Scrum halves there's Doak and Casey. Both will be in the future plans for Ireland.

It's a credit to the systems. The u20's have done superb in recent years. Serious amount of top level prospects coming up. The EI tour was much maligned and probably rightly so, but lads were given opportunities to work with the coaches and the systems. That tour will stand to the lads that went and some will push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

JOB is in the squad as utility backs cover. He can play across the back 3 and centre at a pinch. If things get really dire, he also has experience playing at 10, albeit at underage level.

Also, we're down to the bare bones for cover. I'm sure Stockdale would have been in the 23, but for his own injury issues.

• Advertisement

Indeed! I reckon that with Murray starting our back row won't have the quick service that they need to get on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Shehal

Except ofcourse during the summer...I feel you have taken just one aspect of being a forward and exadurated it to the highest degree almost to the point you ignored other important aspects of the game.

Firstly if we tried to match the Bok size then we've already lost anyway as its like getting into a mud pit with a pig, you just get dirty and the pig like's getting dirty. To beat SA we need to do the opposite of what they do and play our own game and our own game requires fit agile forwards who can get around the park...not a bunch of fat f#cks who carry and hit rucks only.

And finally the back row of Conan,Doris & VDF didnt work during the 6N against France or England as its totally unbalanced, playing a 6 at 6 (POM), a 7 at 7 (VDF) and an 8 at 8 (Doris) is the way to go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Stockdale injured again? I thought he was with the A side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

He wouldn't be, Ringrose would be covering wing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The A game will be his first game back from injury. Players on their first game back are always a bit risky.

You don't want your 23 to be just back from injury especially when they are covering people just back from injury.

Fair but that involves juggling a back line for any injuries which is something I hate.

Keenan goes off injured with McCloskey as 23 and its ringrose to wing and wing to FB. 3 changes.

Also while Ringrose can cover wing it's obviously not his natural spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Joey was the cover for 15, if for example Keenan went down early.

I think Job might be an excellent number 23 option. Similar to Earls and Larmour At a push they can cover multiple positions.

I do think there's a path where we can win this game tomorrow night, but our defense and discipline need to be top drawer. If we deny them soft penalties and the corresponding field position, they haven't shown in other games this year an ability to break down teams from distance.

I do think they're showing signs of trying to evolve their style (selection of the half backs, Kolbe at 15 etc) but conditions might limit their willingness to try to be too expansive.

Hoping Willemse has another ropey night off the tee too, and they don't seem to have another kicking option in their 23 (that I'm aware of).

I feel like it'll be another one of those games where you'll know within the first 10 mins or so if we're sharp and accurate in clearing rucks; if we bring that kind of precision we've shown at times, then we'll have the ability to move their pack around the field, and that's our path to victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Live stream by PM for tonight please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Me too please..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Pretty sure it’s on virgin media player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I can watch an ad for Ballygowan Water - that's all so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Folk saying the same on Tweeter. Ballicks, like.

It’s working fine for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

please a real stream by PM

Are you in NI?

Now getting "Your programme will resume shortly", which is at least a step up from a black screen.

I’m using the app, watching an AF interview now.

In the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm still getting that Ballygowan Water advert...

Same now. One tiny inch forward, a couple of feet back...

Hoping it'll start when the game does, just.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

I think it's quite possible Patterson will get ahead of Casey at Munster, he can snipe better than Casey and just needs to showcase can manage the ball and be the link between forwards and backs. I could be wrong but i think Patterson has a higher ceiling than casey

Ball girl taller than Casey!

Very smart from McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

This time tomorrow (4 mins in) we will have had at least 2 box-kicks.

• Advertisement

Am I misremembering or did Stockdale have similar issues with kicks being blocked or miscued a few years ago?

Advertisement