Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Same, Im Limerick-centric but I keep an eye on the rest of the country aswell as I have family members bidding in Galway and Dublin atm too. Limerick is ridiculous, there is literally nothing worth buying, anything even half way decent goes for 50% or more over asking but its the same in Galway aswell, cash bidders vs mortgage approved any estate agent I talk to reckons its about 50:50 these days. I think posters in this thread are being wildly optimistic.

Heres a fine example, nothing really special about it apart from the extension and it looks tiny in person compared to these photos, that living room is the size of a box bedroom in person.

Listed for €215,000, the last bid there today before the auction closed was €318,000. Multiple bidders, demand is just crazy and nothing being built.

Heres one I actually bid on. Listed for €235,000. Bidding still going up over €315,000 before they stopped it and sold it to a family member instead.

Post edited by L1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Whoever buys that first property for €318,000 is going to ruined. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Woodview house would not be cheap in a Limerick context, comparable to Dublin prices yes.

The St Joseph's House would be. But considering they are virtual auctions they were probably undervalued anyway.

I am not sure what makes you think that the wealthy will jump ship. Wealthy people always sit out recessions

Slava Ukrainii

Check the property price register, nothing used to go for more than 250k in Caherdavin but all of a sudden desperate people are going up over €320k, there might not be another house like that second one on Daft for another 8 weeks or more now and the same thing will happen then. The first one is a joke, those are €200k houses on a good day in the last Celtic Tiger, they were €175 when I moved down here 2 years ago. Nothing is being built and now things are slowing down even more meaning the fight for the shrinking pool will get more vicious and now people have 4X their income to play with. Predicting that these prices are going to collapse is just laughable, this is government policy along with the forbidden topic we're not allowed talk about.

• Advertisement

Or they'll be happy with their new home even if they're still paying in their seventies and will sit back as desperate couples pay €350k around them in a years time, nothing is being built and the population is increasing all the time, its just insanity.

Of the new builds that are being built in Limerick there are some horrible shoeboxes out in Mungret for €450k, Mungret is basically a village outside Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Trying to figure out, what is the price band where we see the biggest selling /buying activity?

Should we say around 400- 450k mark where most of houses have multiple bidders?

Or perhaps higher 450 to 500K?

I think around 700 to 750k, houses are not getting many viewers. I may be wrong

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Those houses in Mayorstone were starting to take off just before COVID. That house is a brisk twenty minute walk from the city center. It actually a fairly decent sized house. That house was originally build 60-70 years ago.

Present decor is not to everyone's taste and is outdated. But it's still.in fairly good nick. The back garden is South facing and it's got a Ber of D2. Basically you have to change the decor

The one in Joseph's street is an anomaly, in good condition but not a great location e en though right in the city center

Slava Ukrainii

Maybe some of the Twitter staff will move down to Limerick, they can afford it.... for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭RINO87

That isn't mayorstone tho - it Woodview, up passed LIT, so while still not that bad, it's a longer walk again to town.

The place is littered with cars during term time. You are only a hop skip and a jump (over a fence) from areas with a few peoblems too. (Maybe that's not a thing anymore, about 5 years since I've been down that way.)

Joseph street is a great location, in my opinion... especially if you would like to live car free. You have everything literally on your doorstep and it's a nice neighborhood too. Having a car there might be a bit of a hassle alright. That said, crazy money for that house...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Burti16

This house came to market again after sale agreed for 428k in September. New sale price 405k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Meta to Start Laying Off Thousands of Staff This Week, WSJ Says

The Meta headquarters in Menlo Park, California.Photographer: Nick Otto/Bloomberg

ByShiyin Chen+Follow

November 6, 2022 at 9:24 PM GMT

Meta Platforms Inc. is planning to begin layoffs that will affect thousands of workers from this week, Wall Street Journal reported, citing people with knowledge of the matter. 

The job cuts could come as early as Wednesday, the newspaper said. The company has already told employees to cancel non-essential travel from this week, according to the report.

Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg in September outlined plans to reorganize teams and reduce headcount for the first time, following a sharp slowdown in growth at the parent of Facebook and Instagram. Zuckerberg said then that Meta will likely be smaller in 2023 than it was this year. 

The layoffs come as Meta struggles with growing losses and as it invests heavily in developing its metaverse business. Its shares have fallen 73% this year.

The cuts will add to already mounting job losses in Silicon Valley. Twitter Inc. last week slashed nearly 3,700 positions after Elon Musk completed his $44 billion takeover of the social media platform. Other companies that have also reduced their workforce or announced plans to include ridehailing firm Lyft Inc. and hard drive maker Seagate Technology Holdings Plc. 

A spokesman for Meta declined to comment to the WSJ. 

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Sunday times had a piece on some other job losses today aswell...Meta a bit unique but likely only the beginning if fed dosent pivot... does anyone know how many jobs were lost with twitter... you'd think that backoffice? staff based in the likes of Ireland would get hit harder than employees in Cali so will be very interesting to see what percentage is lost here. Sound like a parrot at this stage but how does this not impact irish house prices over next months is beyond me...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

All properties->31/10/22 to 06/11/22

All Dublin

20 Price changes

15 Decreases

05 Increases

Rest of Ireland

63 Price changes

54 Decreases

09 Increases

Presumably you're talking about Sli na Manach, which are far from shoe boxes. They're actually quite nice.

Mungret Gate is in Raheen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ARJn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Self serving waffle.

Interest rates will go much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

The turkey isn’t going to remind you Christmas is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Viewing houses in Galway and one agent said the all of his stock now is landlords selling up. Will be interesting to see what all this does to the market when even this dries up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

The real issue isn't whether a slow down will happen or not but rather a stock issue.

Will there be a stock of houses to be bought high enough to impact the sale agreed price?

Will developers continue to build or reduce their yearly output to play it safe?

Will landlords sell if prices fall or rather continue to rent?

So many variables impacting the Irish housing market alongside inflation, interest rates and potential layoffs in some companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I think the one variable is emigration I can see our youth leaving as over the last 5/6 years they have been locked out of buying and/or renting a home with the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Independant had a piece on the weekend about older ‘boomerang emigrants’ leaving Ireland for the second time.

Housing also proved an problem for the couple and became one of the main catalysts in their decision to move back to Perth.

“We talked about buying a house,” O’Callaghan says. “We began the search but I immediately began to feel trapped and panicked. It was the expense of it and then looking at the [broader] current situation in Ireland. We talked about it and decided we had to go.”

It's symptomatic of the failure of Government when returning families feel like they have no choice but to leave again in order to get ahead.

Not suggesting this may be happening in large numbers to affect property prices. I know of a couple of families that are preparing to or have done this. They are all experienced teachers, nurses and construction professionals that are now leaving Ireland at a time when we need them most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

It's behind a paywall but does this article address the fact that they say they're moving from Ireland (median house price in Dublin is €427,000) to Perth (median house price €570,000) due to the cost of houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

The couple returned to Ireland with their two young children and settled in Tipperary.

Median house price stats regardless dont mean much in this context - supply is the issue. There is no supply issue to buy a house in Perth - and if you wanted to build you arent faced with ridiculous planning restrictions. Access to finance is easier also. Rentals are are very tight however.

Where are you getting that figure for Perth? Also what is the cost of renting in both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Definitely a variable and it would be interesting to see if this slowdown is global or more concentrated on the EU zone.

The other variable, that I forgot to mention, is the intervention or our very competent government. MM and Varadkar can introduce some very powerful strategies aimed at keeping the house prices high and making rent less affordable for the average earners.

Even if the slowdown is global I dont think the same lack of properties for sale and rent are as acute anywhere else on the globe as it is in Ireland. I could be wrong and yeah no doubt there will be more manipulation maybe a further carrot for FTBs or a further relaxation of the borrowing rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Median prices dont tell the full story

A market with 10 houses for sale, and a market with 100 for sale could have same medians, but a much wider supply in both higher and lower ends of the market.

Also I believe perth median salaries are higher (even after conversion from AUD) than Dublin medians

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Wages are higher in Australia and you pay less tax, so your take-home pay is much more.

So even if that house in Perth is 570,000 euro (that house could also well have a swimming pool out the back and be 300sqm in size on a 500sqm block) for many its worth it, compared to getting a 90sqm hovel for the same price in Dublin.

However, house prices are an issue the world over, I would agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Plus you can rent over in Perth.

1350 euros a month for a 5 bed.

https://rentola.com.au/listings/house-at-perth-15559e?utm_source=Trovit&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=trovit-premium_desktop

Ite nice to actually have the option to rent at a reasonable rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement