Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Houses are built to house people. You don’t have to be a family to reside in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

All’s not well in Killarney. Any of these people acting the bollix must have their permission to remain here immediately rescinded. Harassing the people who pay for their room, three meals and welfare. Very appreciative folk! Out they must go.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveAtherton20/status/1588087017035939843

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm predicting the American market won't be affected this year anyway.Therell still be some high end hotels available and these will be taken up with wealthy Americans,they have the money and also the favourable currency exchange makes it a good option for them.

Summer 22 there was 15% hotel capacity on government contracts.This plus the opening up of international travel meant domestic tourism was down, however that's the nature of it,there are good years and bad.Government contracts are currently over 30% and only going one direction.Straight away that drives up prices for the remaining rooms and also means less visitors spend money in the local economy.Even if that number stayed at 30% (which it won't) it would be a pretty disastrous year.I don't see it improving the year after either,towns will be decimated,businesses will close,this is the reality.

A change in government won't make any difference either (not a peep out of SF on the issue)

It's already happened,I'm resigned to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The hotels and business people renting out accommodation to the state will be fine - ready source of income. Also be employment to run these places, probably largely drawn from the new refugee and asylum population.

Who will feel the cold hard reality are the many small businesses that rely partly or wholly on the tourism trade. And a few Yanks aren't enough to keep these going. Also Irish students and younger people looking for a starting or part time job.

There will be growing resentment and woe betide any politician looking for votes in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

The notion that a country like Ireland can afford to intentionally wind down its tourism industry is off the wall. The refugee and asylum industry will result in a much much smaller economic benefit to the country and that benefit will go into the hands of a really small number of individuals.

Its sad that all the main political parties are supporting this policy.

• Advertisement

I know fcuking well,I've been making this point on here for weeks.

Some posters seem to think if a hotel is full of tourists or " international protection " refugees then it's the same thing for the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Its sad that all the main political parties are supporting this policy.

But expected. Many of us have been warning about the dangers of the manifestation of Irish politics for years, where party differences exist in concept only, but at end of the day, they are all the same, and we end up in a similar place regardless of who we vote for. There's literally no dissent in this nation from side to side, any dissent is pushing for an even harder version of the thing that's already harming us. Ireland has a very "polite" approach to everything, from the top to the bottom, where boats are never rocked no matter how badly it's needed.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The North American market will definitely be effected, American travellers in particular by and large are very much risk adverse, Covid and the War are putting them off travelling to Europe.

Our biggest market the UK will be effected because of Brexit, the war and the fact that the clown show that is The Conservative Party have wrecked their economy.

Inflation will effect everyone. Italy, Germany, France, etc.

For domestic tourism, energy prices and actually getting staff are the 2 main issues according to the industry.

Also it is 30% of hotels are hosting refugees not 30% capacity of our hotels, an important distinction, not all hotels are the same size and not all hotels are exclusively hosting refugees.

That said their is bound to be negative effects on tourism in areas with high populations, you would hope this would be negated by the fact that so many now are working, a lot actually in the industry.

The main issue with hotels though is they are not suitable accommodation long term, so for that reason they should not be used going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'm thinking specifically of the lads running the jaunting cars in Killarney, geared very much towards the high end American and international market.

We also have luxury golf tours, fishing trips and other niche products that will all feel the pinch as the number of tourist beds falls.

As has been said already the solution is tents, marquees and cubicles in warehouses, and charge for food. Once these asylum tourists learn that its not gravy they won't bother.

Nigeria is near the top of our asylum list, there are plenty of safe refugee camps in their own country, but the wealthy ones are able to fly to treasure Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Yes, I think they'll find a government that messes up things for its own citizens are not to relied upon for a place to live or work. Public transport is poor in Dublin, but just about nominal outside. An aunt of mine noted that a colleague of hers said that social protection officials seem to be harsher towards Irish claimants while directing foreign nationals towards every possible grant. Whether or not this is prevalent, it is a widely held perception which isn't wholly unsupported by evidence. I hope the people of this country hold the political class to account for their wild promises to all and sundry. Perhaps send them barefoot to the front in Ukraine (there's also a war in Ethiopia if that's too cold), which one Russian nationalist reportedly said of the generals serving Putin there. Perhaps more realistically get government politicians to clean the street or do something more useful than wasting money and plotting to do something else foolish.

• Advertisement

An aunt of mine noted that a colleague of hers said that social protection officials seem to be harsher towards Irish claimants while directing foreign nationals towards every possible grant

Jesus, that should be the literal definition of unfounded idle gossip. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Hotel's being full = Good.

Hotel's being full because we have no houses and (Irish Tax payers) pay people to stay there=Bad, Very Bad.

What kind of economics are they progressives getting high off.

40% of Killarneys beds are now refugees.

That num is only going one way and it's not down.

Local councillor and local GP just on that bastion of right wingers Matt Coopers show there desperately describing the situation.No communication from government,no plan,just bus more in.

One Cafe employing 16 people already closed,as mentioned that's 16 people who still have to pay a mortgage next week.Thats small fry but more will follow.A business's insurance,wages or energy costs are still the same or rising even when their revenue has been taken away,do you follow how this goes...?

Can you join the dots?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Once a right there housing gets brought in then the real fun starts, which is been pushed by all parties and the opposition.

A house for anyone and everyone who wants one.

Feels like I’m living in a parallel universe thats lost its mind altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

That's truly astonishing that almost half of all beds in one our premier tourist locations are now occupied by asylum seekers / refugees. It's really demonstrative of the insane levels, to which asylum seeking has spiraled.

The only positives of this entire sorry scenario are (i) it highlights the blatant incompetence of many of our ruling class and (ii) it has started to awaken Irish people to the impact of unrelenting inward migration. The drip-feed throughout the last few decades that impacted limited corners or our larger urban areas, has now broadened to wider swathes of the country. More Irish people are experiencing the 'joy' of this nonsense first-hand and they don't like it.

Lisdoonvarna had 900 Ukrainians and 800 locals, that was a few months ago.

It will be interesting to see how Killarney plays out, being our biggest regional tourism destination, by some distance.

One Cafe employing 16 people already closed

You mean these 2 cafes?

Closed on a Sunday morning without notice, owners not contactable.

Sounds like the have a bit of chequered history.

I also doubt 16 mortgages were being paid by 8 full time and 8 part time staff, the pay isn't that good.

Or was it another cafe? What was the name of it?

A business's insurance,wages or energy costs are still the same or rising even when their revenue has been taken away,do you follow how this goes...?

Yeah, it was in my post. These types of businesses cite energy costs and lack of staff as their main barriers.

Again, that's not my opinion.

Less emotive hyperbole, more critical thought based on actual facts maybe. 🤷‍♂️

Occupancy rates nationally off peak range from about 55-60%.

Killarney and a lot Munster in general hover around 20%.

20 hotels in Killarney have availability for tomorrow, some of them very keenly priced.

Not my words,the words of the councillor who represents the people of Killarney and is on the ground.

I don't live in Killarney and I suspect you don't either.

I wouldn't be trivialising those job loses by the way,they're be plenty more on the way.

Can I ask you a question and please be honest if you can in your answer.

Do you really,really,really believe that the main problem in tourist dependent Killarney next summer will be an inability to get staff?

Bare in mind that the population has gone up 35% (and will increase) and the tourists who spent in those restaurants/pubs/shops that couldn't get staff has been reduced by almost half (and will be reduced further)

Post edited by HBC08 on

• Advertisement

I didn't trivialise them. You claimed.

One Cafe employing 16 people already closed,as mentioned that's 16 people who still have to pay a mortgage next week

That's your opinion not a fact.

What's the name of the cafe, is it the 2 I linked to or another one?

Why did they close so abruptly without warning, why are the owners not available for comment?

Councillor on National radio about an hour ago.

Link is not up yet.

Are you somehow surprised by this figure?

In my own town its higher,have a look at some of the towns in Clare and Donegal if you want to see higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Converting hotels from tourism to the refugee/asylum industry kills jobs in a locality, that is a fact. By design it replaces the tourism industry as a whole. There may be reports of a cafe or two now but the closures will become continuous and accelerate.

Ultimately if there are less tourists in these towns there is less footfall in the secondary businesses, and the weaker businesses will fail first.

Converting hotels from tourism to the refugee/asylum industry kills jobs in a locality, that is a factBy design it replaces the tourism industry as a whole.

Can you give numerous real life Irish examples of this claim please?

No no, Killarney will be full it tourists next summer and the hotels also be full of refugees, at least that's the way a few around here will think it works.

They know better than people living in Puckane and Killarney of course.

There is absolutely no evidence those 2 cafes closed because of Refugees or less footfall.

Zero.

Why don't you ask the owners these questions yourself instead of ranting on the internet about their misfortune.

I linked to a publication who did just that, they were uncontactable. 🤷‍♂️

But again, it's not me ranting about their misfortune.

Vague reference to business closing, Bloody Refugees, has to be, damn it.

Bizzaro World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It looks like those owners are not available for contact..

Advertisement