Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'll bet banning a satirical website doesn't seem like such a good idea now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I doubt even the country managers for Ireland even know how many of their own people got the boot today.

It'll go down as one of the most self damaging business decisions since Gillette hired a feminist to produce an ad!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well its some bit of consolation but still pretty distressing for the staff.

I'd imagine a large percentage of the Irish workforce are foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a couple pieces of employment legislation he may have broken in Ireland. However before that I have never seen the Taoiseach and senior ministers being critical of the way an MNC laid off staff before.

The first rule of any forced layoffs in Ireland is that the specific job you had must not be replaced. These layoffs has probably run afoul of that. Next he did not carry out the consultative period and did not interact with employees the paying of the four weeks dose not cover this.

If you check unfair dismissals cases what happens here is wide open for large compensation u less there is very good redundancy terms

Slava Ukrainii

For sure.

You see an awful lot of noise on Twitter lately, some of it reflected here, which comes from a tiny minority of users who seem to spend all their time posting tweets and messages saying how awful Elon Musk is. They're literally obsessed with Elon Musk, tweeting every 2-minutes of the day about him. It's pretty sad, actually, that people invest that much time - presumably because they're insecure that, if Musk has his way, their positions will be challenged; robustly, and rightly so.

They'll leverage whatever it takes to break Musk, even resurrecting stories from 5 or 10-years ago.

But in the end, they'll fail.

Every time that free and equal speech has been suppressed, it always - eventually - finds a way back to the surface.

The same people talking about how it's important to have "facts" when posting, just happen, by pure coincidence, to deny scientific reality in many, many respects. They know that, too.

Beau asks for $8 from Musk if he watches this video, re: Brand Safety 😂

Discussing how it's free speech if advertisers want to leave, and why they'd leave if the platform is full of N* bots (Brand Perception) and the CEO is spreading conspiracy theories in the replies to Hillary Clinton etc. (and digs at companies for Pride Month etc. marketing); Brands follow the money; Capitalism, baby (Musk should know everything about this, as CEO/Fmr-CEO of 3+ huge brands)

Beau didn't seem to cop (neither did the Washington Examiner) that Musk's tweet was a mockery of a Trump tweet. I haven't seen Elon explain what the joke is there - but the tweet hasn't inspired Brand Safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You know what "STEM" stands for, right? Two of your examples of "not any clown" jobs fall under STEM. Some really lazy and dumb generalisations in this post.

Engineering disciplines all have common fundamentals in maths and science. Tech companies hire widely across disciplines. The clowns are spread out in every field: The dumbest person I know has a master's in computer systems engineering. One of the smartest (and hardest working) was a software engineer who got her PhD in some flavour of biometrics, an area she then didn't work in.

It's also very clear that some of the posters in here have seen too much footage of Google and assume every American tech company has people zooming about on electric scooters, ping-pong tables in the office, and free sushi beside a well-maintained zen garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's the position that's redundant not the individual, so if management think that they are overstaffed in an area they can let that person go through redundancy.

You can't use redundancy to fire a person. So say management didn't like Jim, they cannot make him redundant and then turn around and fill that position with someone else.

I cannot see how they have fallen foul of the law, if staff technically still have jobs out until February.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Fired by a man who titled himself "Technoking"

From looking at the staff posting on Twitter, the company had a lot of non-core, non revenue generating roles.

I thought it would have been a leaner operation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was under the impression Musk was all for fighting the deal until the case hit discovery and he U-turned and honoured the original deal which was precisely what Twitter was taking him to court for.

It hasn't recorded profit on a continuous basis it's entire existence.

During a Digital Ad Boom!!!

You'd have to wonder why it's taken so long for someone to try to make it profitable, it's like the platform had a different purpose than profit!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's revenue generating for twitter? advertising and advertising only, surely?

as per the video Overheal posted, in order to keep twitter safe for advertisers, you would need plenty of people keeping twitter safe for advertisers, and their job isn't specifically advertising.

To be perfectly honest, some things matter more than money. If anything belongs to that small category, free and equal speech surely does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we'll see how much free speech matters to musk if he realises he's just spaffed $44bn up against a wall for it.

They have not got a job he is paying them out until February

. They have been fired. When he locked them out there is no onus on them to any longer do anything for him.

There is few part to this. First some here gave equated it to a non-compete clause. It not employees have signed nothing. They have been sacked and locked out. There is no such thing as gardening leave/ non compete unless it's agreed between employer and employee.

In this case I have seen it reported that Musk instructed that complete teams should be left go ( this gets rid of team leaders and maybe managers as well) if this happened in Ireland and this work is taken over by other employees then it's an unfair dismissal.

Slava Ukrainii

I'm starting to think that we really need to send this thread to multibillionaire Elon Musk for review.

He is clearly a bad businessman. Clearly Mr Musk can fix this by reading, post by post, through the sage wisdom and business advice of this thread; from people who know far better and far more.

• Advertisement

It grew with the issues, eg. the human rights panel, and the myanmar genocide and other prior examples where the platform was inadvertently a facilitation of some pretty awful stuff.

he's just bought a company he didn't want to buy, for $44bn. i wouldn't call that the actions of a savvy businessman. a company whose revenues have tanked (by his own admission) since he bought it.

They will be in employment until February, essentially they have been instructed to do nothing. They will get payslip and their tax credits will reflect this.

This is extremely common in Ireland, especially white collar work. From what's been reported, it doesn't sound like any laws have been broken.

lest it need to be repeated - the new owner of a company used that company to repeat a nasty myth about the attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband. and when that company is pretty much solely dependent on ad revenue, yeah, that makes him a bad businessman.

I do not think so. There is no onus on them to. You have no clue about employment law. It not common. It can be considered mental health discrimation. There was cases a few years ago where employers left employee's with no work to do,( basically they left them in an office with no work) cost them a lot of money.

Unless you sign a non compete there is no onus on these employees any longer he has terminated there contract, suspended is gardening leave.

Slava Ukrainii

It's a public town square bought for the sake of humanity. Just send your money to the richest person on the planet to open the gate to that particular town square. If you don't, you're literally against humanity. Or maybe gates. Who doesn't like gates? Monsters, the lot of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It seems to have dragged out its lack of profit phase by making itself indispensable to the woke, progressive and left activist types.

That drives influence, kept it in the media, made powerful friends, targeted the connected.

The prick didn’t even think to put a no complete cause in the deal with someone who actually has experience in running a successful social media platform🤣.

Next level genius

Quite a good meme going around on the hypocrisy of AOC!

The woman on $174,000 a year, and that excludes whatever she makes outside of that on her business hoovering up cash. Tax the rich ha...

• Advertisement

I would imagine he would love if those staff members joined one of his competition.

Twitter is a loss making platform!!!!

Advertisement