Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance - pre-existing conditions

• 06-09-2022 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all

I am posting the query below on behalf of my Dad, who would be grateful for any current information, which might be of help.

My parents are travelling to Canada shortly, to visit my brother and his family. My Dad has some pre-existing medical conditions and for their last trip to Canada in 2018, he took out a travel insurance policy with All Clear. Due to Brexit, unfortunately All Clear are not currently in a position to provide insurance to Irish customers and despite doing a lot of searching, he is having great difficulty in finding cover for this upcoming trip.

My Dad is 69 and does not have private medical insurance. He had a double heart by-pass in 2005 due to angina (he has never had a heart attack) and he had a mini stroke/TIA over 10 years ago (it was minor in nature and he did not lose consciousness). He has a couple of other issues but his day-to-day health is good. He has not had Covid and is fully vaccinated. He is a regular sea swimmer and can walk for an hour with no problem etc.

His previous travel insurance policy cost €420 and he had expected a new policy to be a bit more costly, as 4 years have passed since he last took one out, but he did not anticipate the difficulty he is experiencing in getting cover at all. For example, Trailfinders will sell him a policy, but it seems to be a general one and you then have to call their medical assessors to see if they'll fully cover you, which seems to be quite convoluted.

If anyone has any recent experience of taking out a travel insurance which provides cover for pre-existing conditions, I'd love to hear about it. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭AnRothar

I know someone who worked for a subsidiary of Thomas Cook and they dealt with the travel insurance for the UK market.

They had a series of medical questions that they asked and depending on the answers they were able to generate a quote.

I suspect trailfinders operate a similar scheme.

You say that your father has a number of pre existing conditions so a broker would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭keepwalking

Thanks AnRothar, I'll pass that information on to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Hi @keepwalking , just wondering if you got anywhere with this?

I've been trying to figure it out with my parents and had no success so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭keepwalking

Hi babo9, sorry I've just seen your question now.

My father tried every avenue we could think of, but was unable to source suitable travel insurance here in Ireland. In the end my brother found a policy for him in Canada, through the Blue Cross there I think. It was expensive and cost him about €90 a day but it gave him peace of mind, so he was happy to pay it.

Sorry I can't be of more help, its a real pain to get sorted, that's for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

Try insure and go, they do cover preexisting conditions not sure to what level as you have said multiple conditions.

It's worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

VHI offer travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. The only requirement is that you need the all clear to travel from your doctor before you leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Small print

Your Vhi MultiTrip cover is only valid if you are a resident in Ireland and have private medical insurance here. Your medical insurance must provide a minimum of €65,000 overseas emergency medical cover.

Per the OP their parent does not have private health insurance.

Advertisement