Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

He can be a bit sloppy/slow. Would love to see a bit more conviction from him. I remember Kieron Read getting a block down on him in 2018 before he scored the try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Indeed you're not, it happened.

Casey pretty callow there, albeit well out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The MC is doing a dry run for tomorrow. I hope they play Born To Run before a line out tomorrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Harsh, he was a good meter to the right of the ruck there. TJ absolutely milking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's a bizarre call against Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

In fairness though he does take the risk of chipping on the wing often enough, and he has plenty of tries from it. Risk/reward is something I'm sure he has considered with the coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

What a try, wow.

I know the ball was touched, but looked like it wasn't collected there by Ireland because an arm was pulled down. McKenzie is lethal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Seriously? There's nothing in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

So whatever that was tonight was Ireland building depth

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Bunch of players tonight showed they just arent remotely close to test level sadly.

Mainly the pack, Thornbury is absolutely useless, molony tries hard just isnt athletic enough to make any carries.

Coombes got completley manhandled and smashed multiple times, Timoney anonymous, Prendergast decent but not impressive.

Heffernan anonymous.

The pack got absolutely stuffed everywhere.

Yeah, pack were monstered, and we never had a chance because of it. Despite that,Osbourne looked good I thought, and a couple of minor mistakes aside, Frawley looked decent. Crowley forced it when he came on and put in a bit of a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Bit harsh to say Crowley put in a shocker. as you say he tried to force it but was behind a pack well beaten and had to try something.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lol

You wanted those players playing against SA tomorrow ,🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We saw tonight exactly why they are not

He came on and made a run of stupid mistakes and poor decisions, even when he had time on the ball. Like, wtf was the crossfield kick about - he called for the ball from Casey who was shaping to box kick, and then attempts a crossfield for a forward to run on to? Just daft. I'm fine with players trying something, but try things that are on, that kick and the intercept weren't. He was poor, but he'll learn from it.

I think you're being overly harsh on him. He came on when we were way behind, and was attempting to bring a spark. Most of what he tried didn't come off. That's fair enough. He hasn't played a huge amount at 10 yet at particularly high levels. But to me, he's absolutely a natural out half. I like his ability to threaten the line, push the play, trying to get the ball wide constantly. He's not there yet, but I think he'll be our No 2 out half come the RWC.

He certainly brought some energy alright, and I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said. Maybe shocker is harsh. I'm not writing him off or saying he's a bad player, but as performances go, that was a poor one with a bunch of bad decisions, because he forced it. It's inexperience, and it'll probably stand to him. Was impressed with him toughing out that hit towards the end that was a clear red, though, and like Frawley, he didn't seem to have any fear of taking it to the line. Huge boot on him too.

I don't think any Irish player played well tonight, but I don't think Crowley (or Frawley or Casey) were our worst offenders by any means.

Our pack were absolutely battered. We can complain about refereeing decisions, but eventually we have to have the common sense to adapt and play to the way Carley is reffing it. If they aren't being super strict on the offside line, then we need to do the same and push those boundaries. If the Kiwis are making a complete dogs dinner of every ruck we have, we have to learn to do the same.

That was the real naivete we showed tonight imo; that and a fundamental lack of aggression. Basic skills let us down on too many occasions too. Some shockers of passes: Lowry's one to Nash stood out, but Osborne and Hume were guilty of some really poor ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I stand by my view that I'm unconvinced of the merits of one off A games. I don't think anyone really put themselves forward tonight in a disjointed performance. A games are useful if there is a series of matches and consistency such as in the summer or in SA, otherwise its a collection of lads thrown together for one match on the back of a few days training as a team and if they don't show up they get written off for good.

One useful aspect of tonight was that the players will have seen the level they need to get to in what NZ did tonight which long term will help some of them.

• Advertisement

I think these games aren't bad ideas simply because depth is constantly still an issue but also because we have a lot of talent coming through and the more we see these lads in combinations the sooner we can do more with those combinations.

For example - the coaches got the balance of the pack wrong tonight (be that enforced or otherwise) and there is a lot of learning in that not really possible at provincial level. Moloney looks a different prospect with the likes of Doris, Jennings, Porter around him. Similarly I refuse to accept that the performance from Coombes this evening is not at least in part because his weaknesses were over emphasised and strengths under utilised because of the other 7 forwards.

There'll be loads of work on for players from this in a setup somewhat more controlled by Irish coaches. I've no doubt there will be value derived from these games, the emerging Ireland tour and the mid week games in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

If you have 4/5 blooded into a proper team, you might have learnt something from the Autumn

now they go back to the same players,

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There was plenty learned this evening, both about and by these players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The forwards tonight got a tough lesson in the level of physicality needed for test rugby. They got absolutely monstered in the breakdown and on the gainline. The NZ forwards were just far rougher and aggressive than ours, who were meek. It's not a size thing because our pack was a fairly big pack as Irish packs go. The whole backrow was 6'3 or taller and 110kg+. The backline had some decent moments but ultimately were playing behind a beaten pack so never stood a chance. I was particularly disappointed in the back row. I expected them to make a big impact, but they really didn't show up.

Shoutout to Marty Moore who gave a really good account of himself when he came on. I definitely think he has something to offer. Loughman was good, needs to get capped. Barron>Heffernan.

Molony and Thornbury showed that their decent club players, but not much more unfortunately. They just don't possess the power or athleticism for test rugby. Disappointing we didn't get to see McCarthy and Ahern out there.

Osborne impressed me. Still bitter that pass was called forward because it absolutely wasn't. It was an unbelievable piece of skill and Stockdale was gone. Frawley and Crowley both had some very good moments and also some poor moments, which is expected considering neither of them get many games at 10 for their province. Crowley probably has the higher ceiling and has time on his side. He'll probably leapfrog Frawley by the 6N if he plays regularly at Munster. Frawley is worryingly injury prone. Fingeres crossed he's not another Harry Byrne. Hume tried hard but he's not a 12.

Casey was meh. Lowry unfortunately, like in NZ, once again didn't take his chance. JOB is definitely ahead of him in the pecking order now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Frawley has no luck whatsoever. Shows he's a good player whenever he's on the pitch. But can never get a sustained run of fitness. Probably little chance if him making it for the Fiji game next week.

Hopefully Baird and McCarthy are back. They're both serious athletes and have a lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Definitely lost this on physicality, composure and also, sadly, on quality. It reminded of so many times when Irish teams are beaten by NZ teams in the first ten minutes. They are good at setting the tone early and within a few scores Ireland lost their confidence and a few percent on their discipline and intensity around the ruck, not giving up penalties but not getting their position and connection right. They were rattled big time, and fair play to NZ, they blew them away early and coasted home. So many line breaks form NZ where no Irish player laid a hand on them.

I'm not sure what the options were for the captaincy but Ireland had nowhere near the experience of NZ on the field tonight and when your back is agains the wall that really counts. Casey was probably not the best option given the battle the Irish forwards were in for, and he lacked some smarts tonight even in his own game, nevermind pressuring the ref to police the breakdown better or hassling him for cards when NZ were giving up penalties in the 22.

In fairness though that NZ team would challenge most top teams, there's about half of them in or around the ABs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I like these fixtures! It's a way to gauge players on the rise or the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Before anyone accuses me of ref bashing it would have in no way changed the final result. But I was also surprised by the lack of warning about yellow card for repeated infringement and Casey's lack of communication with the ref. I can't remember the final number but NZ gave away a lot of penalties and a I thought a warning was due.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The inability to adjust the game plan to the ref, seems to be an endemic issue with Irish provincial and international teams. Once we knew the offside line wasn’t going to be pinged. We needed to either drop deeper or else start chipping over the top like NZ did. It was very annoying that we kept trying the pull back passes even though there were NZ players in the lines. Just asking for intercepts. It’s like we have been given the template and we have to stick to it.

It was a bit like watching the first team towards the end of Joe’s tenure. Then again that’s probably the purpose of these games. To try and learn, to improve decision making at a much higher level than a lot of these players get tested at. That was a very good NZ side, playing extremely well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If I was Andy Farrell, I'd put the 5 second clip of Rassie calling us soft on a loop in the dressing room before the match.

Advertisement