Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New party vote share?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Thete is a middle ground between them and the joke that passes for irish politics...

You lose fifty percent or as good as over a pittance of 40k now or as good as 37k a few months ago. Have you run a company? I have. Employees didnt want additional hours, at rates even up to 50 euro an hour. Cant blame them. They lose half it. I'm expecting a genius suggestion from you now. " why not pay them more" viability in a word. So before you go pulling that predictable card, I'll suggest I know a bit more about that industry than you do, given it is the largest company of its kind in Ireland... this of course applies to all industries however. Extreme taxation over a pittance makes a mockey of irelands open for business, pro enterprise bullshit. Of course this is an issue now growing in prominence... as reported in the Irish times. I'll dog out links when I have time...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Your proposed new pol party is off to a bad start, as both LPT and USC are good taxes.

It is widely agreed, for the last 100 years, that property taxes are the best taxes.

I agree with addressing waste in public spending / more housing / vacancy taxes, etc.

If you want to cut a tax, start with income tax on working. Workers on median wages face a 48.5% marginal tax rate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Reform the HSE

How are you going to do that?

Lay off thousands of people?

How do you plan on paying for their redundancy?

How do you plan on paying for their welfare while they are looking for new jobs ?

And finally how will you deal with the backlash at election time?

Banks do not own any houses.

A mortgage is a charge/lien over a property.

I own my house, and I have a mortgage on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

But just to confirm, none of your employees pay an effective rate of tax of 50%?

I hope you've a good accountant for your company given your lack of grasp of the Irish taxation system.

The tax free thresholds we have in Ireland have to be offset elsewhere, therefore income tax rates increasing to 40% over €40k (from 2023). Where do you expect Ireland to get its tax revenues from if we remove LPT, USC and cut income tax receipts as per your grand plan?

I'm well aware, where did I say otherwise?

The poster referred to a 50% income tax rate. There's no such thing. We have 20% and 40%.

The 48.5% includes PRSI and USC.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,827 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Beautiful post. You have trolled almost everyone in one go.

All you are missing is a bit of gay/trans bating.

Income tax is forty percent? Tax on incom over an extreme low thresholds is as good as fifty percent, or because it isnt called income tax, we can just write off usc and prsi etc? I couldnt care less if they consolidated them all and called it the tooth fairy tax. Your losing as good as fifty percent of your pay. Thats the way it is...

• Advertisement

Stopping wasting billions every year on crap. Addressing waste. Increase taxes on derelict and vacant housing and sites. Increase motor tax on new petrol and diesel cars. Amongst other measures. The growing economy is providing extra billions alone... where do you think ffg magic money tree is coming from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You haven't identified what the "crap" you are going to stop spending on is.

And don't just say "NGOs", because that will just show you don't know what it is. Most "NGO" funding from the state is so they can provide services - mental health, social care, homeless services etc - that the state is not providing. Spending that would have to be replaced 1:1 with HSE, Department of Education or Department of Children immediately.

You're not taking into account that not 1 cent of income tax is paid on the first €17k earned and the various ways to relieve income tax as well as other tax credits depending on individual's circumstances. Nobody you employ pays 50% tax, nobody.

As an employer I'd expect you to be more annoyed by the employers PRSI rate which is a huge cost for business.

And back to property tax, the fact that higher value homes are taxed more heavily than lower value homes is surely a good thing? A very progressive tax, that again is unavoidable and must be paid by the wealthy who may own several houses (can't be relieved by pension contributions, EIIS, or other income tax saving schemes).

Are you anti VAT too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP hasn’t a notion how politics, or running a multi billion economy works.

I suspect they also have no idea how business works, and are as far removed from running a business as is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Hence my point about rejigging income tax so that everyone pays proportionally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Stop Foreign Aid: 1bn straight back into the tax pot.

Deport illegals: Hundreds of millions saved in accommodation, food, pocket money, medical bills, legal fees.

Progressive taxation: More millions earned.

Slash NGO spending: Currently €5bn+ a year.

Tougher sentencing: Less spending on free legal aid for the country’s Easter population.

Plenty of waste currently that could be put towards improving Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Pay attention to the next SF Ard Fheis and the main speeches. That's one place where you get the measure of a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well I would replace property tax with more meaningful local service charges. So charges for services provided by local & state authorities where availed of: so refuse, recycling, water, sewage, libraries, parks, local footpaths, cycleways and local roads etc. Standard rates across the state with a balancing redistribution to less populated parts. All house occupants to pay, no freebies for social housing. Exemptions only for the likes of refuse, water & sewage where people either pay local contractors or on group schemes, own wells etc.

Backlash? You wont have majority and you will have set out your stall. You aren't trying to be everything to everyone, pleasing nobody. Like all the current options.... some will pat you on the back for it, others wont like it.they are too spineless to do it here. Fg would prefer to lose voters, than look like it was targeting the welfare classes, who hate them anyway.m.

Lots of generic populist far-right calling points there, none of which will save anything.

Foreign aid is a major part of the countries international reputation. Its a very much expected part of being a proper country. Don't expect to be treated particularly well by other countries if you don't do it - there's a reason even the furthest right US governments still did. If you want to do a Kwarteng and crash all market confidence in your economy, cutting your foreign aid spending is going to spook everyone.

Actual illegal immigrants - those here without permission or an ongoing asylum application - cost the state nothing as they can't claim anything. Are you proposing deporting those with current applications? Because that's not possible.

We have incredibly progressive taxation already. "Let me personally pay less" does not mean something is progressive, but that's what you mean isn't it?

"NGO spending" is our health, education and homeless services for the most part. You know you'll have to put that much if not more in the HSE, Department of Children and Department of Education budgets to replace it? We aren't spending 5bn on basket weaving classes, its going on providing services the state just doens't provide under its own banner

Tougher sentencing costs money, it doesn't save it. Cutting legal aid is probably just going to result in more people in prison, costing even more.

Try again. Try a lot harder if you want something that people would actually vote for, too. We already have multiple far right parties and they fight to share 2% of the vote between them.

• Advertisement

"Tougher sentencing costs money, it doesn't save it. Cutting legal aid is probably just going to result in more people in prison, costing even more."

Sure should we just release them all then ? Laughable. Forget the morality of it.. I doubt it costs more. The cost of crime, gardai, the welfare claimed, these scumbags getting their partners pregnant and the hundreds of thousands that Costs the state, free legal aid etc.

The US has a ridiculous proportion of its population locked up at any given time and has a pathetically funded public defender system.

Has it done anything to reduce crime rates, recividism etc?

No, no it hasn't. Nor will it ever.

Its a generic far-right call, but it does nothing. It was being given as a proposed cost saving when it wouldn't save a thing - but they just had to get it in there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I’d love if someone could sensibly explain this to me. OP is a no brainer. So is it just that we’re a welfare state now and that’s it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

What you're describing is Margret Thatcher's poll-tax which just about brought the UK to open revolt.

Apart from having none of the positive benefits of LPT or a land value tax in disincentivising hoarding, dereliction, vacancy and the inefficient use of land, it's also downright unenforceable and uncollectible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

This new party's policy includes raising taxes.

Forget it . Don't bother

I agree totally with the proposal about a poll tax. Hundred percent. As you point out though, it will never happen here. Ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

What is far right about enforcing existing laws?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's empty populism because it's easy to put down on paper but much harder to implement.

Theses "new party" threads with all their plans a two a penny around here

The poster mentions:

More prisons

Where are you going to build them?

Get rid of LPT, USC and VRT

What are you going to replace the revenue with?

Get rid of NGOs

How are you going to replace the services they deliver and how are you going to pay for it?

Reform the HSE

What exactly does that reform look like.

Same with the AGS reform.

And they also say "More stick less carrot for the scum"

Who exactly of the electorate are they calling "scum"?

Advertisement