Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The impending recession should help recover the mass participant side of things.

From 2007 - 2010 was massive, peaking in 2012 and bottomed out then when people had money in their pockets again.

People seem to have drifted to hiit and s&c classes since 2020, a lot of the crowd who would have taken to the roads, they will be back soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

There used to be a big demand for transfers; there'd always have been people injured/unavailable, and plenty of new runners who'd found they were capable and people who'd missed the lottery. They increased numbers by a couple of thousand in 2018 or 2019, I think, which would have impacted demand for transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's a big disincentive to use someone else's entry when you know your result won't be in your own name. If you qualify as GFA for another marathon you can't use it. It's possible there would be more interest in a transfer system. The only way to know for sure is to implement one and find out.

However it's not just in running events where it's been difficult to offload spare tickets. I've seen the same in cycling sportives where it's impossible to give away unused tickets for free. Maybe people giving up on boards and other multiple factors are involved 🤔

Post edited by DeepBlue on

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭FazyLucker

Yeah, I think maybe supply and demand is probably the answer.

Funny, I never remember much demand for transfers for the DCM, or any squeeze on entry even when it was a much smaller event. Up to a few years ago, I remember it being a non-issue to register for the DCM.

I think another issue could be supply and demand in general - there are half-marathons, marathons, 10k's etc everywhere (you know its at saturation when Longford has a marathon and people choose to run 42k around there....) and people are mobile again so can safely commit to a European marathon without fear of being locked down and being unable to travel. Probably similar with the cycling events that DeepBlue mentioned above.

But I'd imagine everybody who wants to do the DCM has had a chance in recent years and maybe its a case of "done it" for plenty of people. Combined with people who had an entry from 2020 and just didn't do anything about a refund, I'd say that contributed to the bulk of the no-shows.

Next year will probably be a better barometer I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

I'm out for next year. Had great fun and definitely want to run it again,

But planes tickets cost me 195 going and 150 returning plus 420 airbnb equals around 760, not including meals and so on.

Maybe I'll run a marathon closer to home next year and then we'll see what happens in 2024 and 2025.

I did find the deadline for applying again way to short. People are still walking funny after this edition and they want us to commit again for next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I probably won't be running it next year but if I do I'll just wait for the club member GFA window, which will probably be much nearer the actual event date if the last one is anything to go by. One more reason for people to join a club!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

There’s a serious lack of quality 10km races around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Longford is one of the best run marathons around, a great event but yes a niche one.

DCM may be a victim of its own success with most people who want to be one and done having done it at this stage. The ceiling isn't based on finisher numbers but a perceived demand which may never deliver, 35000 applications in late 2019, how many of that 35000 would have run if every person was given the chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

How many run Longford?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Unknownability

121 finished.

I'm sure the DCM marketing crew could jazz that up though with some outlandish statements.

Such as

" Worlds BIGGEST & BEST marathon field for an Abbott sponsored marathon outside of the big 6"

• Advertisement

Sounds like there would be a lot of time spent running on your own.

Yeah, no offence to Longford but I'd imagine a marathon around there would be 35+km of country roads with not a sinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I signed up for next year, couldn't run this year's due to injury, hoping to be back in action sooner rather than later.

113 euro is a sharp rise alright, but I know myself personally its 113 euro well spent for the discipline /training/ better lifestyle it will instill into me for the months before race day.

If i have to run/walk it /hop it, I will be at that start line next year !.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not always a bad thing.

If you want atmosphere then Dublin marathon is great, but if you are going for a PB then it is actually frustrating trying to navigate around all the walkers and pace groups. I had hoped to settle into a steady pace on Sunday but it took a long time before I could do that, the first 10-15k was constantly getting blocked in behind people and having to do all those little micro bursts to speed up past them when a gap appeared. More than once I commented to myself that I would have been far better going for a PB on my own somewhere.

A smaller marathon with less bottlenecks doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world. That may be just me though, I am perfectly content running on my own.

Ah yeah I’d agree with you to a point. 121 over 42km seems very small though. I don’t mind running on my own either but if going for a PB it’s always good to have people to work with also.

Yeah, it is tricky one though. I one year in the DCM stayed right at the back of the wave and let everybody else on. It was a great idea and gave me ample opportunity for family and friends to see me in the distance.

Which was fine until there was a headwind up the Crumlin Road and Clonskeagh Road and there was no "strength in numbers" to help provide a wind break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Just regarding the price of the race itself, how would the price compare to say the price of the shoes worn by entrants on average? Throw in the cost of gels used on the run for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not sure how relevant that is tbh. You pay for runners to run whether that is in DCM or not you will still run. To use finance language the runners are a fixed cost whereas the marathon is a variable cost.

My gels for DCM were €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I started to list them out until i realised you may have a point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

That doesn't stand up to scrutiny in my opinion. The marathon cost is no more of a fixed or variable cost than the runners are! I'd also be keen to know where you're getting your gels.

To state the relevance here, you have the option to enter or not. You also have the choice in what to run in. I'd argue the latter is an area where people can scale back their costs dramatically. There's nothing stopping people from buying a pair of runners for €30 from sportsdirect or the likes and running the race in them. Very few people do that though. It's much, much more common to see runners costing €200 to €300 that last a few months of running than an inexpensive pair which would get you around the course without a problem.

More people are happy enough to accept the cost of the shoes, which have a healthy profit margin going to a huge corporate organisation rather than accept the cost put forward by a small scale, largely volunteer based organisation operating to a near cost based pricing model plus next to no margin. That is where I see the relevance. It's a matter of where people find a problem in pricing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You won't see too many people that have run for years in €30 runners as they are most likely crippled at this point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A bit of well timed shopping in online sales when new colour schemes get released of your favourite pair of shoes and you can get some garish colours that nobody else wants for not much more when compared to the new prices..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My €160 runners get me about 900kms.

My €113 race ticket gets me 42kms.

Who wants to do the maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I usually get 600km from my asics (cumulus). I always buy on the outlet website.

I bought 4 pairs of novablast2 (change due to a need for more cushion) for 90 euro each earlier this year.

One pair have 600km done and still use them for 5k/8k runs and they feel good.

The 2nd pair have 200km and feel very new.

Still have 2 new pair.

A lot depends on if your willing to look around to get what you want

For €30 though? I have seen them down to €60 or so but never as low as €30.

I'd be interested though as I am beyond caring what my shoes look like as long as I don't screw up my feet (again) 😉

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

Lads, no offence intended but you are wandering in to the realms of a pointless debate. Whether or not €100 is spent on runners or a running event, is a moot point.

The event costs money to run. If you don't like the increase, a bit like the cheap runners you can always mark a spot 21km from your house, run to it and back and save yourself the €113. Or if you wanted to do it bare foot, you have a perfect harmony between costs.

I'm going to bow out now and will check in when the 2023 version is up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

So accept the price and don't dare question it.

Boards would be a fairly quiet place

Advertisement