Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Didn't realise this was the comedy section of the site, bmw stopped making real cars 20 years ago... Newer stuff is pants between chocolate timing chains and more recent fireballs the only thing that's premium is the marketing department

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In fairness that's because the overwhelming majority of modern BMWs have been horrific diesels, apart from the stink and the tractor sound, it has been for a long time a failing technology when it comes to cancer causing emissions, hence a lot of problems. Thankfully every single BMW I have ever owned was a petrol. Except my current one which was originally a diesel but by the time it landed on my drive it had already been converted to electric 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Premium me arse, and I say this from my wife buying a new 840 d. Brother in law has a Porsche 911....now that's a premium motor.

You got that right. I only commented on the BMW i4 thread on this forum this evening. The i4 M50 model has just gone up to €85k base price. The Porsche Taycan is €96k base price. The BMW i4 is nice, but the Porsche is in a completely different league. For a tiny bit more money. You'd be certifiable if you bought the BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I had a charger fitted four months ago for an MG ZS that apparently now won’t arrive, is it compatible with a Tesla or must you get a charger that is exclusive to Tesla?

• Advertisement

You mean a charge point (EVSE) fitted on the outside wall of your home? Then yes, compatible with all new EVs for sale now. All are what is called "Type 2"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

The WLTP range shown on the website is now 430km, was it 455km a few days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

430km with the 20" wheels.

455km with the standard 19" ones.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'd inadvertently changed the wheels with the cursor keys on the PC. For a while I thought/worried that they'd updated because of a new battery source/type.

Worried? If the range changes from 455km to 440km it means we'll get the 55kWh BYD Blade pack instead of the CATL 60kWh pack. That would be good news in my book 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

Do not think the Blade batteries for RHD have made it to shanghai plant. They could make it to Berlin Giga but Berlin Gigga is under enough pressure with demand for LHD in Europe but there is more chance of the Blade making it there first

Agreed. I'm hoping for a double whammy here, car coming from Berlin with the BYD pack 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Went out for a test drive in model y in cork, couldn’t get over the acceleration. I don’t use my id4 in regen mode so it was a very different drive to what I’m used of. Didn’t have that long but did manage to get up a county road. You could tell it was firmer but I didn’t have it long enough to tell if it was a deal breaker.

Tesla are in the process of finishing a full on service center in cork. The Tesla guy also advised only LHD are coming out of Berlin. And that Irish model y’s will be coming from Shanghai. Meaning there will be no improvement in suspension. Is that what people here think also?

I don’t think the gun mental grey was the best Color. But was impressed by space. It was a dull day but I get the impression the glass roof doesn’t let too much light in? Which is a pity.

We have 3child seats across back of id4 and they seems to be a little extra space in the MY.

If I do put a deposit down I’m thinking white with white interior, standard wheels and upgrade hubcaps to black after.

from what I read I don’t think I’ll be losing much range in real world terms as my ID4 doesn’t show more than 400km on full charge at the moment.

I have free charging at work so it suits me to be able to charge to 100% regularly, something I shouldn’t be doing too often in the vw but can do in the model y.

any thoughts?

@staples7 - "Irish model y’s will be coming from Shanghai. Meaning there will be no improvement in suspension. Is that what people here think also?"

That's incorrect. We might or we might not get the cars from Shangai, but even the Chinese cars already have improved suspension.

Goes to show to take everything any Tesla employee says with a large grain of salt. Some of the time, they know less than the customer. And a lot of the time nobody knows for sure, Tesla local employee or otherwise. Anybody claiming they do is just a spoofer or a repeater.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Charge the ID4 to 100% and don't worry about it (I do it all the time with mine and my previous two Leafs) - it's not an issue unless it's left sitting there for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It's not an issue if only hanging onto the car for ~3 years, as the degradation won't be noticed. There's a reason why it's recommended by the manufacturers to charge up to 80%. Those batteries don't like being full for any period of time. The only batteries I know of that the manufacturer recommends 100% charge is on the MY and M3 cars with the LFP chemistry.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

The reason the manufacturers like VW recommend 80% is they don’t want to have to payout on the 8yr battery warranty. If you need the range, charge to 100%. If you don’t need it, maybe you’ve wasted your cash and could have bought one with a smaller battery.

Thank you finally another voice of reason. I thought I was alone on this forum saying this. It really makes feck all difference. The people that say it does just echo what another EV owner has told them or what they have heard in the pub. At best they haven't a clue about how to make the translation from the theory how batteries work and have degradation in non-ideal circumstances to how this pans out in real life

• Advertisement

I'm not an expert on batteries, but I don't see why the manufacturers of EVs and battery manufacturers in general advise against leaving a battery in a high state of charge unless doing so would damage or degrade the battery life/capacity. I never left my Leaf with a full battery for more than a day or so and the battery has done well. I recall someone on here a couple of years ago posting they always kept their 2014 Leaf at 100% just incase they needed it and they had lost 4 bars since new with less than 80k klms on the clock and very little fast charging. I can't find the post now though. It did encourage me to not leave my own 2014 or 2012 Leaf with a full charge for days at a time. Still have 10 bars on the 2014 with over 80k klms on the clock.

Here's a recent enough article on the subject.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/how-to-maximize-ev-range

Stay Free

What is the servicing regime/plan/recommendations for the Y ? How do Model 3 servicing costs fare compare to a diesel ? I'm more interested in 2-5 year costs than the first 2 years.

There are no service requirements with Tesla.

But any car guys/girls amongst us know that you can change the cabin filter every 2 years yourself, maybe get brake fluid change (again, can be done in an Atlas if so required) and a brake service involves stripping the callipers and pads to make sure everything is all free moving and nothing seizing due tonsuring the brakes a lot less.

Outside of that there’s the usual air con refresh if required.

What happens when you get a delivery date... Do you get one or two days notice, or is it a couple of weeks even?

Is the final payment made on delivery day or sent by Iban transfer beforehand?

You pick a date within a given range. Usually a couple of weeks. Was about 2-3 weeks for me. Final payment about a week away from collection. Bank transfer....I used Revolut which was super fast

Stay Free

Thanks Ghost. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

30,000 model Y to be out of shanghai factory destined for Europe by end of Q4. Assume these are all RHD for us and UK ?

If there are any RWD in that, I still maintain they will be for the UK only. But nobody knows for sure, we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I actually ordered a Y last November but cancelled as the reviews of the car were so damning of the suspension, I lost 100 euro by cancelling, huge blessing in disguise with the price drop

• Advertisement

Kind of but what you ordered last year was the Long Range version. It’s a superior car to the RWD with regards to range and performance and indeed the dual motor AWD set up.

The price drop was on the RWD only. Now whether that price difference between the 2 now is worth it is of course a personal and reasonable debate.

Also, you should get your deposit back under the distance selling rules. I did.

Post edited by Gumbo on

Advertisement