Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Most LCD and ‘Christmas’ lights will work on a 3 or a 5. You can buy full set in ***** for €1.50 and ‘save’ the 13’s for kettles etc (if required).

• i have seen both ca and ce on Chinese made products.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not with an appliance taking 3 kW, as I said in the post.

Most new kit comes with a 3 A or 13 A, but 5A or 10 A are available, but not generally used anymore in new equipment.

It is not the plug that is dangerous, but the wiring standards - like the fused spur, where you have fuses in series - which fuse blows first? Circuit breakers are much safer.

Anyway, can this be close as it is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

@Sam Russell 'Anyway, can this be close as it is off topic.'

Sorry, but my post (and link) was around UK tearing up CE certification and implementing their own standards post Brexit, so I would have thought it was on topic.

An interesting article which touches on a number of points recently discussed here

An analysis of where the UK finds itself today and how it can move forward with a more pragmatic relationship with the EU.

The readers comments below the article are interesting. Firstly, the idea of re-joining the EU is being discussed, with all the difficulties that would entail being acknowledged. And also that Starmer and the Labour party are in danger of missing the boat on this and being behind public opinion. As the majority of people are seeing Brexit as a bad decision Starmer is still pushing the 'Make Brexit Work' argument. If he continues down this road, he is likely to be out manoeuvred by a more pragmatic Tory leader in the future.

However, there seems to be no real appetite to implement the NI Protocol, with a lot of commentators suggesting that the Protocol is the problem rather the solution to a hard Brexit. Even Irish media, reporting from NI, continually quote the DUP telling us what is wrong with the Protocol but never seem to report on those businesses and people who are benefitting from the Protocol. And without the Protocol row being sorted , all other discussions with EU will stall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The NI Protocol is not needed if the UK retains the EU standards and the CE mark and all that entails.

They have clearly demonstrated that they do not intend to keep to EU standards and in fact will create their own. Now this is important for food and environmental standards, and it is mainly this that the EU want to maintain. However, the UK are for some unaccountable reason beholden to the narrow views of the DUP. Of course, the DUP cannot get any business, except M&S, to detail how their business is negatively affected by the NIP.

How does the NIP affect business negatively unless it is only possible to source their product from the UK? Only M&S, Asda, and Sainsbury are affected by this, because they do not have distribution bases on the island of Ireland.

Now how would anyone solve that problem? Well, they would ask Lidl, Aldi, or Tesco - that is how.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Rejoining is not an option.

It might look like it according to that comment section but btl on the Guardian isn't a great indicator of the national mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. The UK is years away from being ready to rejoin. And it would be years after that before they could actually rejoin.

Still, public discourse that treats rejoin as a realistic option does help to shift the Overton window towards a saner relationship with the EU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

While I think rejoining is inevitable, it's at the very least a decade and a lot of French opposition away. To begin with, the sort of people who think gaslighting their own country and tormenting some of the most vulnerable people in the world are virtuous pursuits need to lose an election and badly. From there, we need a Labour government that actually adheres to the current agreements with the EU and maybe even renegotiates the protocol in collaboration with the EU. The UK needs to be a sane country before and more significant agreements can be done.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed. One thing's certain: it cannot be 52/48 again 'cos then it'll just be the same cycle all over again, only reversed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It won't be. As I said, we're at least a decade away. That's a lot of time for much of the Brexit-voting cohort to die off. Meanwhile, we have a new generation of people who are well aware that their rights were stripped away from them because people blamed the EU and migrants for the consequences of UK government policy. Rejoining the EU is now the underdog position. The Brexiters are the establishment and they're despised by anyone who isn't a committed Tory voter.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

And he despises Brexit. I've exchanged emails with him about it having had a couple of parcels from him stopped by German customs. I felt really sorry for him when I heard the news. He was one of the small businessmen who knew very well what Brexit would mean in practice. One of the nicest people I have ever bought anything off.

• Advertisement

Some polls suggest 57/43 in favour of rejoining the EU itself. Surely we are rapidly heading towards a clear majority being in favour of applying to rejoin the SM at this rate. I reckoned with a generation and then thought about a decade but now I'm not sure that one of the big two parties won't have an about face and make rejoining the SM a manifesto promise. Their economy is in tatters, much lower growth than even the Eurozone and arguably the Eurozone is more exposed to the war stuff. Who knew that being in a big club would offer some protection....

Honestly, I think we're already there. The only issue from an ethical standpoint is where the line can be drawn in terms of time after the 2016 referendum and another referendum is ethical. 2019 was not that time, clearly but there is a real question about when it'd be suitable to call such a referendum. There's also sizeable opposition to rejoining from the EU I would think. You live in Germany as I recall. I can't imagine Scholtz or Macron rushing to welcome the UK back any time soon after the still ongoing shenanigans over the NI border.

Can you imagine the campaigns though? Leave had the gall to push immigration and sovereignty and that's now a sh*tshow and all sovereignty lies with the financial markets. They've been thoroughly debunked by reality and it took less than half a decade.

In all seriousness, we shouldn't have a referendum before 2030 at the very earliest. The UK needs to respect the current treaties and frameworks before it could even be seriously discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But just like Brexit itself was never just about what the UK want, rejoining isn't simply whether the UK wants to.

EU have hated this entire episode and frankly, has been treated with total disrespect by the UK. So there are a lot of bridges to be rebuilt even to think that the likes of France and Germany will bother with another potential farce.

The other problem is that the EU will want a clear commitment from the UK. Like joining the Euro. And that is not going to be acceptable in the medium term in the UK.

The damage that Brexit has done, ironically given the demands for sovereignty, is that the UK has put itself entirely at the mercy of others.

The UK thought it held all the cards on leaving, well the EU will hold all the cards if they ever do try to rejoin. Because the only reason they will look to rejoin is that the UK has accepted that leaving was a mistake, and as such, they need the EU more than the EU needs them.

I feel like a good bellweather is the state of the Tory party. If it's reasonably sensible and plugged into reality, that might indicate a good point to begin negotiations. No point rejoining if they're the deranged mess they are now.

I don't think there will be another referendum until the UK is effectively in the EU without the vote by rejoining the SM and CU. I think one or both of the big parties will eventually declare these desires in their manifesto. This would just be the process working as it normally does in the UK, referendums being rare exceptions. There might be a referendum in the far future about membership but I expect that really will take a generation.

The EU member states would be pretty happy having a neutered UK back in the single market and customs union. Solves a whole raft of problems, not least the protocol stuff. I can see an insistence on EU customs officials having a presence in Felixstowe though. The UK even as a member state was known to allow Chinese made counterfeit goods in all too easily.

Question for the experts...say the UK rejoined the SM and CU. They would obviously have to accept full FoM but would they have a right to make use of the Dublin convention to ship would be asylum seekers back to France or is that only an option for EU member states?

That's an interesting point. Remember that in 1975, both parties were in favour of remain but Labour had a serious split on the issue, hence the referendum. We need both parties to be behaving maturely before anyone outside the UK is going to permit rejoining.

That said, I'd take the SM/CU in a heartbeat. Almost all of the benefits of membership and a check on the damage the current government can do to the country. It also solves the NI problem they created.

In other news, it looks like their simpering up to Bolsonaro has backfired:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,665 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A fascinating aspect of the whole Brexit malarkey is how Nigel Farage has reinvented himself from being a "Eurosceptic" to a BNP / Enoch Powell type ranting about refugees and asylum seekers. He rarely if ever mentions the EU or Europe these days.

You'd wonder when the penny will finally drop with the English public that Brexit was mostly rooted in the politics and ideology of the far right and that Euroscepticism is not an accurate description of what was going on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In terms of any rejoin debate, what I think will come as a surprise to many in the UK is that the membership type they had previously will, I take for granted, not be made available again. If the UK rejoins then it will be full membership with all the bells and whistles e.g. adoption of the euro currency.

This will be opposed by the sceptics and used as a reason not to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They voted to leave in 2016. A democratic decision to regain national independence.

They are not in the EU now where countries are "encouraged" to vote until the "right" answer is received.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Tories just done exactly that to pick a leader.

• Advertisement

Not the same and you know it.

Not debating with disingenuousness like that.

"Democratic decision" is rather misleading though. Every decision taken in a parliamentary democracy is democratic. If Parliament had decided to block the triggering of A50, that would also have been democratic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They voted to leave in 2016. A democratic decision to regain national independence.

So how's that working out for them now? There has been a large upswing in the discussion about how the people were conned into voting to leave and how nobody told them that there would be massive economic downsides to this national independence. It's almost like peopke regret leaving!

They are not in the EU now where countries are "encouraged" to vote until the "right" answer is received.

I'm well aware of where the UK are. As for your repeated waffle about voting again until turn right answer is obtained, you know this is untrue so why persist with the lie? Is it simply because of your misinformed anti-EU bias?

You guys tie yourselves in knots all the time. If and buts all over the place.

It's very simple. The British public voted to leave the EU in a referendum.

The remain side lost.

It doesn't matter why they lost. They lost.

I know the EU has ways of making national electorates comply with veiled threats and consequences and you are simply mirroring that. This is an anti-democratic strain we need to address.

The British don't need to concern themselves with it. They've left.

Maybe it's best just to accept it. They are never going back.

Ireland, France and the Netherlands would like their democracies back. All overturned or refused the right of another vote because it would have reaffirmed their "no".

We weren't allowed to say "no".

It's as simple as that.

With Lisbon we were threatened and then offered "concessions" not worth the paper written on just to spare blushes for the Irish people told to right the wrong.

Pretending we all don't know this is totally ridiculous. Everyone knows.

I actually don't want the UK (England) back. The likes of Farage, Darren Grimes, Dan Wootton, Carol Malone etc have no place in the European Union. There's even an argument that suggests that Brexit is ultimately a very good thing for Europe, despite initially being seen as a setback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

So it's not democratic to address issues/concerns raised following an initial vote?

England is part of the UK and so is Scotland and Wales so unless the UK breaks up they won't be back.

That depends on the Scots actually growing a pair and ending decades of waffle and going it alone.

I have a hard time believing the Scots would vote out of the UK so I don't see it.

The big question is whether England would have lurched to the right in the way it has since 2016 'without' Brexit (it probably wouldn't). But as I said Brexit may well ultimately turn out to be a very good thing for Europe. Clearly the current incarnation of GB would be a terrible fit for the EU for a whole host of reasons, which is why there will be no re-entry for decades at least.

• Advertisement

Advertisement