Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber shed 10 x 12

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

What flooring could you do in a shed besides hardwood ply which I have bugeted for, which costs €35 a sheet. Is there a cheaper alternative? The shiplap is also quite expensive.

The bigger shed I want is tipping towards 3k. I keep changing my mind whether to build it or not. A way I could save a lot of money is use two big back garden walls and brace the shed off that. This means I would only need a front section and a right hand side section. The left side would be the garden wall itself and the back garden wall would be the back of the shed if you get what I mean. I could brace the roof from the back wall and have it as a lean to falling down towards the front of my shed. I would have a decent Pvc door and window in it too. Has anyone done this and is it a good idea? Its a very strong wall with cavity blocks with pillars that's fairly newly built. It's a tall wall to that goes right around the whole garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I use rough swan treated planks for the floor. They are nominally 6 inch by 1 inch - more like 5 1/2 x 3/4. I prefer them over ply because if damp gets in then you don't get the delamination problems you get with ply. You can even cut out an odd plank and replace it. Before the planks go down I put a layer of builders plastic to cut the draughts down. Also slash the builders plastic in a couple of places to let any water that gets in out.

I know how the price creeps up we bought two sheds before I started making them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Has anyone built a shed partly made off a back garden boundary wall?

You might get a response as there have been a good few questions in the past about making a lean to between the side of the house and a boundary wall.

Only issue I see is roof overhang and gutter outside the boundary wall.

Thanks. I wouldn't be going over my half of the wall just to be safe. I'm going to bang it in the corner just there as in the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you put in a gabled roof shed with the downslope to the wall it will direct water into the shed. If you put in a single slope roof it will have to be a good bit higher than the wall and while it would not need a gutter at the wall side, you will have an issue working round the coping on the wall, the coping would direct water into the shed.

Thanks. I was going to have the back of the roof just sitting under the cappings on the rear wall. It would fall towards the house in a lean to roof. So the back wall would be highest point with roughly a foot fall over 10 ft towards the front.

How high is the wall? It would need to be minimum 8 ft, given you will lose maybe 6 inches at the base. It doesn't look high enough in the photo, but that could be an illusion.

I'm not 100% sure the exact height of the back wall as I have not moved in yet. I know the grass slopes up at the back of the garden slightly so I'll have to do a bit of digging into the ground to get a level base which might give me an little bit of extra height. I'm going to use corrigated bitumen roofing sheets.

I'm just going to spend the extra few quid and do 4 walls in shiplap and not have it braced off the wall. It will be a much better job. Tj o mahony have good deals on 22mm shiplap at the moment. I thought they would be very expensive like woodies but they have fairly decent prices.

• Advertisement

I'd say thats normal price - its a few pence more than I pay from the local builders merchants. So one side 1.8m high and 4.3 meters long (14ft) is going to cost about €200 in shiplap (13-14 lengths it often works out slightly less than 150mm coverage and you need one for around the base and and extra one which you need to cut to fit for the top). With wastage (angle cuts for roof plus door) the ends won't cost much less (don't use part lengths they will leak at the butt joint) the ends will cost a similar amount. So shiplap is going to cost around €700 - €800 for that project.

Hopefully this is obvious but screw the shiplap on and only screw into the thick parts of the shiplap, don't screw too near the bottom overlap. If the shiplap is bone dry then consider predrilling and screw holes near the ends of the planks. Good quality dry shiplap splits very easily (off cuts make good chop wood kindling). I use 2 inch or longer part thread green decking screws to screw the shiplap on. Stainless steel would be nice but adds to much to the cost for me and I've found the green decking screws last well. I don't like using nail guns because sometimes you get a batch of shiplap that shrinks a lot and I like to take it off tighten up the gaps and add whatever is needed at the top. The screws have also saved me from a few blunders like finding somethings out of true ;-(

Don't buy any wood from Woodies its just too expensive.

Thanks very much for the advice.

The next part now is wrecking my head. Roof material, I want to get everything from the one place so tj o mahonys do a corrigated Pvc box profile roof or a corrigated steel roof. I'm thinking the corrigated steel might be best as it's all I'm familiar with. Haven't a clue what that Pvc box profile will be like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I got a wooden shed from O'Brien Timber products in Mountbellew, Co. Galway. It's a year old, rock solid (in a exposed seaside location), and bone dry.

I'd recommend them.

Ideally I'd put down a timber roof maybe OSB? (don't like it but its better than it used to be) then a membrane then a corry steel roof. Remember you'll need a steel ridge and flashing for the gable ends (or it looks sh!t). Also foam fillers for the eves.

I had a shed with a torchon roof that was still sound and no leaks 20 years later. A shed bought much later with a felt roof lost most of the felt in a storm.

Torch on felt is great if its done right. I find I don't do enough of it to get it perfect.

The wife is going to go mad. We are living in her mother's until all work is completed in the new house so she won't see what I'm up to. So the shed will be huge and hardly any room for the young fellas trampoline. At least he can bounce up and down on the shed roof.

Post edited by byrnem31 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Trampoline (in fine weather) will only be for a couple of years until he outgrows or gets bored with it, shed will be for life so think of all the fun he'll have in it throughout the years. A bench with a vice and a few tools and many the different type crafts that can be honed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And you'll have somewhere to sleep when she finds out! 😁

I'm looking at €1800 to €1900 for a 10 x 15ft shed, lined with 22mm shiplap. Steel corrigated roof with 3x2 treated timber throughout and high quality Pvc door and Pvc window in a self build. 12mm hardwood faced ply for flooring. So you aren't saving a whole lot but you are doing it a whole lot better. Far stronger, better materials, much better door and window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Checkout trihys in Co. Waterford.

They do a shed that is steel sides and roof but comes with a timber floor.

They have a good solid secure door as well.

My neighbour has one and is a fine job.

Should know soon when I'll be moving into the new house to start the shed. Im after getting two lovely tilt and turn timber double glazed windows that open two ways. I'm getting a nearly new black on outside white inside Pvc hall door tomorrow.

It's going to be 15 x 10 ft. 3 foot overhang at the front, lean to style to offer a bit of protection. €2200 for everything.

I'm a bit concerned about it freestanding with the overhang catching in the wind that might make the shed fall down. Is this a realistic concern ?

If its well made it shouldn't be an issue. I had one with a similar 'porch' and it never moved.

Cool, my mate advised me to spend the little bit extra and do it in 4 x 2, not 3 x2. It will be stronger and if I want to insulate it at a later date, I'll get 4" of insulation in making it warmer.

Finished my shed a while back. It's great as I have my turbo trainer in it and can get good sessions in on the bike. Loads of room in it too and its solid. Has the potential to be turned into a little pad if required further down the line. At the end of the day though its a shed, it's dry and serves its purpose. Roughly 2k all in.

Should mention i ended up buying a different property with a better back garden which really helped the process of building it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 daveluzbo

That's pretty good mate. Did you build it yourself? I'm still in 2 minds to either buy a metal shed, or build one.

I built it myself. It's handy enough to do. To buy something like I built, I'd say you'd be looking at 4 or 5 k and it wouldn't be as strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you need to put a number "10" on that door

• Advertisement

That's exactly what my mate said 👍.

Advertisement