Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unsupervised

If it’s seen as junk then he should turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ah another newly registered guru. Welcome!

As an astronomer, I see it as junk. Much like I see putinbots as junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,628 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Its only an advantage if they have sufficient stock. What they have is a penchant to consume their available arsenal faster. That may not be advantageous in the longer term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In this case, he should, given his past tweets on the topic.

He's a con artist. He owes his wealth to US government subsidies, while at the same time complains in this instance that other companies get them while he isn't, however his companies have been recipients of enormous amounts of government largesse:

So while I agree companies should be paid, in this case it should be no more than reimbursement of base terminal costs and data charges. I don't think he should profit, given his tweets and the fact he's already received $4.9 billion in government subsidies by 2015, so likely a lot more than that by now. Assuming his companies have received $7 billion in subsidies by now, $100m would only represent giving back 1.4% of what he's syphoned from the public purse. I don't believe the base cost of what has been provided to Ukraine is $100m, I think the claim is well padded in the hope of yet another subsidy.

Aren’t Lockheed Martin subsidised by the US Government.

im guessing they are not providing resources to Ukraine for free.

The mistake Elon made was providing the service before looking for payment. Pentagon simply took advantage of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

API and API HE have been in common use for the M2 for decades. A607 is the linked MK 211 ammo, something of a unicorn to find. The regular API is the usual load out.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Okay, we get it you hate Elon Musk . . . so just start an 'I hate Elon Musk' thread where you can vent about it 🙄

And this FUD that Telsa / SpaceX are just schemes to extract US government subsidies is BS, Telsa no longer qualifies for subsidies (but that may change with the recent IRA act) and Space X is delivering space programmes to NASA for a fraction of the cost that the previous incumbents were charging (Boeing Starliner / SLS are worth a google to see how NOT to run a space program with taxpayer funding)

Anyway, enough Elon, bring on the Kherson offensive . . . the Ukrainians and Russians have being lining up their chess pieces for the past couple of weeks, as soon as one make the first move on the board I think the whole situation will change radically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

putin claiming he has 318,000 additional troops signed up and ready to rock to their deaths in Ukraine. Is this just bluster and bollocks talk from him or could he conceivably have that many…..? Next question how many of the 318000 have ever even fired a shot/ have any previous military training…? Less than 10%…?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Iran's foreign minister says his country provided Russia with drones "before the start of the war in Ukraine"

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 83,041 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Someone asking NTM this :D

Welcome to Boards. The lad commands/has commanded a tank.

Yeah it was a dick move optics-wise of Starlink to disable/suspend service to a single terminal in the war, much less thousands, because of nonpayment.

I know he's got to secure funding for his starlink project somehow but right in the middle of artillery fire might not be the most prudent time to hash out dollars and cents. Do the right thing, leave the terminals on, ask for your deserved outpouring of support later for being instrumental. But far from me to make it sound so simple:

The same time as this, Stalkink also datacapped subscribers to 1TB/mo - and throttled speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'm curious, do you view all satellites as space junk?

I feel like there's a much less vague point to this vague question. I'm not quite sure how the post about starlink was headed in this direction but go on? I've researched space debris enough to know I don't want to be the poor engineer who has to be shouldered with that calamity. Some pieces of debris are literally huge, some of the largest pieces of tracked debris are entire main boosters etc. and some are as small as a pea. There's no one way to scoop up all the junk and it should give anyone nightmares thinking about it the junk field grows all the time (100s of them, fascinating constellation), but as far as starlink goes a lot of those units are in low earth orbit and will retire in stratospheric drag.

⚡️The American nuclear submarine USS Rhode Island, which is considered the world's largest underwater carrier of nuclear weapons, entered the Mediterranean Sea, the media reports.

The submarine can carry 24 Trident II intercontinental missiles capable of hitting targets at a distance of up to 18,000 kilometers with a maximum speed of Mach 19, that is, more than 23,000 km/h.

About those meetings you have been having discussing and threatening the use of nuclear weapons - here's a little reminder what's at stake, as you seem to have forgotten you aren't the only ones who have them. And ours actually work.

This is adding to the aircraft Carrier George Bush currently just off Split, Croatia and the 101 airborne in Romania.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Musk's company are being paid for services by the US (amongst others) aren't they (?), recalling the past articles about it, when he first started talking about shutting it down in Ukraine because it was costing too much, and how Ukraine must negotiate "peace" with Putin etc. It is not being done entirely for free/charity.

He just doesn't believe it's enough + sees potential there to extract far more out of US govt./Defence dept. budget via scummy public pressure tactics, if Ukraine relies on it.

I haven't been on in a while and I see some new arrivals are enjoying the thread.

Some interesting air asset movements currently airborne:

A USAF Beech King Air is operating its usual SIGNIT track over Lithuania, keeping a close eye on Russias enclave, Kaliningrad. Sweden was operating It's Gulfstreams over the Baltic until the Amphibious Task Force arrived. It's currently sitting about 100 km off the Kaliningrad Coast, its presence intermittently betrayed by the appearance of a Seahawk now and again

One of the USAF's older intelligence-gathering and submarine warfare aircraft, a Lockheed EP-3 Orion is currently over Romania, on the way back from monitoring the Odessa/Black Sea arena. Like the KC-135, it's airframe is based on a passenger aircraft from the 60's and is still in service today. They sometimes, very rarely, cross Irish airspace and have a very distinctive engine note, similar to the older C-130E, as they use the same power plant.

Finally, an RC-135, registered to Luxembourg, but operating from a Turkish base, is currently on it's extensive AWACS and SIGNIT mission. Based on the older Boeing 707 airframe, this type has been re-engined and has made a huge positive impact on recent successful Ukranian air-defence taskings.

Since 2014, NATO has been integrating Western Datalink systems into Ukranian C and C centres, now providing an almost instant downlink from SIGNIT assets to Ukranian commanders. Note the "racetrack" patterns of its recent flightpath.

Hi.

Yes, they do. They use the drogue/basket method with the trailing hose from units mounted on IL-76's.

A number of the type were flown to Belarus in March, along with 2 x IL-76 AWACS aircraft, but have remained there ever since.

Fear of losing them over the contested airspace is a factor.

Any air-to-air refueling is done over Russian airspace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

New arrivals? - they just respawn it seems. Maybe Roundup would work.

Mach 19!

So, From the med to Moscow in minutes 🤯

That's the Polish Airfield where presents for ukraine mostly arrive.

Rzeszow air traffic controller: 'This used to be such a quiet job, perhaps I could get a job at Heathrow for a rest.'

Yes - those are the Mutually Assured Destruction ones.

I suspect that is it's orbital speed when it's turned into terminal speed. If you take space as being 100km up, I make it about 15.7 seconds from orbit to ground, though slightly less because it would detonate well above ground. They must have a ceramic heat shield which I'd imagine gets white hot before boom. Nasty business.

Trident seems to have a minimum range of 2000 km so not such a weird positioning as I first thought, as I was wondering if it would be too close.

Assured destruction for Russia at least.

Would not be surprised if the rocket fuel in the Russian ones hadn’t been siphoned off. Like what happened their aircraft carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

Their ICBMs and SLBMs are solid fuel rockets, like their western counterparts. You'd have to disassemble them to get the fuel. And to be honest, it would be foolhardy not to assume that the Russian missile forces are at a similar level of readiness and maintenance to the US Minuteman or Trident missiles. These missiles form the last and ultimate form of leverage that a Russian head of state has at their disposal, these birds will be maintained properly even if everything crumbles around them.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

These missiles form the last and ultimate form of leverage that a Russian head of state has at their disposal, these birds will be maintained properly even if everything crumbles around them.

I would mark these words because I have strong doubts Russia does actually maintain its nuclear readiness to the degree feared. The display during this 'special operation' has really cast an air of doubt that Russia's military brand hasn't become smoke and mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Given what has happened in Ukraine, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have the 1000s of missiles/warheads all ready to launch etc., maintaining a kind of parity with the US.

However there's (unfortunately) a big "megadeath" sized difference between Russia having a "lesser" nuclear power arsenal (say UK/France or China-sized) that is in good working order and could still be depended on to destroy 100s of targets if launched, and them having nothing at all.

• Advertisement

They definitely have some, maybe even hundreds, but given the facade state of their full military I just can't imagine the army etc. is in complete shambles with such obscenely poor maintenanced or updated equipment, while they secretly have all their 1000s of missiles polished off, state of the art, guaranteed to fly. Methinks Putin's government has been pocketing mandatory costs of maintaining and refreshing equipment for a long long while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement