Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v South Africa Virgin media 17:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Goes down to the last second, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Was the final pass there forward?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That's disgraceful from Eztebeth.

Good catch from the ref there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Sexton off with the usual knock.

Thank god the SA 10 cant kick a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sheahan, Gibson Park, Ringrose, van der flier, Hansen, Dorris my MOTM - all class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

They're **** heroes

Magnificent, what a test match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bit squeaky bum at the end but great game

VDF given the motm.

Could've gone to half a dozen of them.

• Advertisement

Made shocking hard work of that. SA so poor. Great to win but a lot of worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Great game. SA quick off the line but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh my days. What a game of rugby that was. Hats off to both teams. What I really really enjoyed about that win is that Farrell trusted his bench early and made the changes when he needed to.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭almostover

The issue is we need him to play 75+ mins to beat the top sides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

South Africa were terrible. No out half and no kickers.

Ireland limped over the line.terrible match.

And 38 at the next world cup. Tue media dont seem to want to broach that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,439 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Super. Brave when they needed to be and clinical when they needed to be.

Good result for Ireland, dug in did what they needed to do. SA really are an excellent side when they go for it, played some cracking stuff towards the end and really just let down by goal kicking.

Still for Ireland it’s all building momentum, keep ticking them off I guess!

Hats off to Jimmy O'Brien. Makes his debut against the world champions, in a position that he hasn't played much in recent years.

He was magnificent. Made line breaks and used his boot to great effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

What a match, unreal 2nd half. Great win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great stuff. It will worry SA for the world cup. Tough test match. We have a fine squad.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Flawed performance. Ryan, Beirne, POM, Doris and VDF were the difference. I thought JOB did very well.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Seriously?

Every time Ireland play you seem to bring this up.

Everyone is very much aware that Sexton will be 38 at the next World Cup. I don't know what you want 'the media' to do? None of the backups are anywhere near his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

I think both teams did not play that well. South Africa didn't have a 10 and only got some structure when Le Roux came on. Should have just started him at 10 instead of Willemse. Ireland's attack only functioned once Murray went off and it should be seriously concerning that it looks like we need both JGP and Sexton on the pitch to function.

O Brien and McCloskey both showed up really well in midfield and the pack battled well even when it looked like they were gonna struggle in the first half. Our bench fronted up well too when they came on and Treadwell is probably deserved fourth choice now.

Doris motm for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭fitz

• Advertisement

Cue the "SA are a poor team" brigade. Christ on a bike, if you can't enjoy a game of rugby like that you may just be watching the wrong sport.

My issues isn't his age, it's that if he gets injured come WC time we're shagged. Really need to try to accelerate Frawley and Crowley to the level needed. If 10 is the question, Carbery isn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

JOB ... some debut

Thankfully we have you here, because this is brand new information.

Himself and Dorris were the pick of the pack for me. For shear influence I'd nearly have JGP as MOTM. Changed the complexion of the game when he came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I was thinking that, at least close - must be the angle though because nobody else mentioned it.

That was a great game, obviously a great win but some amount of battle scars after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Head and shoulders the best 10 in Ireland, personally I'd wrap him as much as possible until then, ther is only one thing missing from Johnnys cv, and he'll want it more than anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well what a game. Everything you could want for preparing an Irish team for the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

McCloskey provided stability when we were being knocked about in the tackles and rucks. Then JGP really speeded things up. Suddenly we had space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,430 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well done to the squad and management all. Ireland can win both with and without the ball and against physical and running teams alike. We vary our game with little obvious detriment.

Thats more than enough to win a World Cup. And I think Andy Farrell's oversight is the very thing to keep the fire burning at just the right level for the next 11 months.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Given the injuries before and during that was a lovely win. Didnt play particularly well and loads to work on, perfect.

Great win. That will be a big mental boost for this team. Went toe to toe with 14 huge forwards and eked out a victory. Scrum was decent overall but our lineout is shaky and needs serious work over the next 12 months. We won't make the WC SF with that lineout.

Was fearful coming into the game that our backrow would be overwhelmed. But to a man, they were excellent. POM made 33 meters, made turnovers and took 5 lineouts. JvdF proves again that he's by far our best 7, and possibly the top 7 in world rugby. Doris put in a huge shift, tackling and carrying like a demon. Any of those three deserved MoM. Porter was top notch, Sheehan too bar the lineouts but I think that's more a systems issue. Bealham did fine, but the drop from Furlong to him is there. The locks worked tirelessly, Ryan outshone Beirne in that regard which doesn't tend to be the case often. Murray was decent but Park was better bar one fluffed kick. Had to feel for McCloskey, was going great before the injury. O'Brien did really well on his debut, looked at home at this level. Ringrose was really solid, always is. Serious player. Back 3 also super solid, wasn't a game for Baloucone to show his pace and skill but crucially he showed he can do the basics well. Very pleasing outing.

Special mention for the Georgian ref, thought he did a fine job in a very physical game. Wouldn't fear him reffing any future Ireland games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Top result and that against a very driven team. A blood and guts game. The final pass for South Africa's 2nd looked forward to me. The ref to be fair to him did a sound job in all.

Dan.

SA are a nightmare to play against. You aren't going to play free flowing rugby against them. They came today with a monster pack and a 6/2 split to strangle us up front. We matched them up and played the better rugby with ball in hand. We scored two excellent tries, one cut them completely open and the other from a driving maul.

The fact we beat them with plenty of room for improvement in our accuracy is fantastic. It means we no longer need to play at 100% perfection to beat the top team but more often than not the opposition quite frankly do to beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Advertisement

This might be a post for the Ireland team discussion thread, but Ireland's performance tonight might be very bad news for some of the forwards who struggled against the New Zealand 15 last night.

There was a marked lack of intensity, physicality and accuracy from last night's backrow especially. It's the sort of performance that might see you lose out on world cup selection. That was an opportunity to put your hand up for squad selection. But nobody up front put their hands up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭mun1

That was as good a win as NZ wins as SA bring a physicality that you have to step upto if you want to survive.

I think he's made a huge case for a RWC spot and the 23 shirt from here on. He can play to that level from outside centre or anywhere in the back 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Odd that the forward pass in the build up to Hansen's try wasn't picked up. It was very clear.

Must add, our maul defence was outstanding. Credit Paul O'Connell there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Good win, hard fought.

Impressed with McCloskey before he went off and JOB when he came on.

Still mad that our chances hinge on Sexton, but that's where we are and where we'll be I think come the World Cup, for better to worse. What was the point in bringing on Carbery at 77 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I think you may be watching the wrong spor, if you couldn't enjoy that.

Wonderful, tense, physical game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Between Bealham and Porter, I thought the same. Would have to see it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 maccerino

Think both of Irelands tries had forward passes (1) Sexton (2) Porter. Great win all the same

Advertisement