Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

If I was Farrell I would play that 80 minute performance from last night and show the Irish players today if they are soft this is what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I tell you what, anyone hoping for big rotation against Fiji is in for a let down. They are a very decent team. We have to be at full tilt next week.

Yeah they look good. Scotland not been great, hard to know where teams are given they almost beat Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Off to the landsdowne for a few beers and a burger soon! Actual nerves before a game, haven’t had them since we played the all blacks in 2016 after we beat them in Chicago

I think it will come down to how we deal with SA's physicality. We know they will come and try dominate in this area but what we must do is not lose our head as from looking back at our matches against big sides over the last 3 years it wasnt the actual physicality that cost us points it was the stupid mistakes we made from braindead decision making that cost us. No dropping the ball in our own in goal area, no stupid intercepts, being able to do the basic at ruck time etc...this is the kind of stuff that cost us tries over the years in these matches all from losing our head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Do yourself a favour and eat before you get in, the food in the ground is especially bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I had without doubt the worst hot dog in my life at the Leinster Munster game. And paid a tenner for the privilege. We were late arriving so couldn't get anything before. They're thieving bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You'd be better off waiting until after the game to get food. Walk back towards the city centre. The Square Ball and the Gingerman are far enough away that you won't get much post match traffic.

It’s a loose term, joking aside the aviva food is genuinely awful, I can’t believe that anyone gets it a second time. The catering company are either really really bad at their jobs or more likely just know exactly what they can get away with and still make money.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are decent, but Scotland are appalling. I wouldn't read too much into it, but we absolutely do not have to be at "full tilt" to beat Fiji.

I'm utterly delighted with that. I wasn't sure we could hang with a pack of that size, but we coped remarkably well even in the face of injuries and the physical onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not sure we ring the changes for next week but there should imo be some rotation.

Change the front row, start Conan, start JGP, rest Sexton, and start JOB somewhere.

That sounds like ringing the changes but I think it might be the right balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭dublin49

strange but thought our handling was brillant but or passing ropey,lots of passes caught at head height and lots were way to pacy.Don't think Boks will be shaking in their boots re next year after that.I would think the Boks will probly beat us but maybe no harm as we get NZ who we know we handle .My worry wud be gap in standard from frontline props to subs and don't think we have anything coming through that will make a material difference at WC,

I'd say 5 or 6 changes, its not just about giving peoples caps but also seeing if they seamlessly can fit into the first team. We saw in 2017 why making wholesale changes against Fiji is not always the wise call.

Have to manage injuries, game time and availability for the Wallabies game. Fiji's powerful carriers would be a concern on the basis of last night but they don't have the shape or width the likes of Parenera and McKenzie can create and I suspect any of the November squad would handle themselves than the A's managed last night.

Might see something along the lines of:

Loughman Herring Bealham

Beirne Treadwell

Pom(c) Prendergast Conan

Gibson-Park Carberry

Frawley Osbourne

Balacoune Keenan Stockdale

Replacements: Porter, Heffernan, Moore, Moloney, Deegan, Casey, Crowley, JOB

If available and fit, I'd bring Stockdale and Henshaw in at 12 and 13. I'd bring Baird onto the bench for Moloney and make a call who gets the bench outhalf spot between Frawley and Crowley.

Australia haven't been great recently, but they've taken the game to France in Paris. Unlucky not to win.

They'll be a huge threat against Ireland. We'll need as many front liners available as possible. But we also can't afford to completely rotate out the side for Fiji either. They're monsters in contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah I went a bit early...but despite the end score I still think they can't be taken lightly. Maybe two or three, possibly four at a push, changes, but nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

The biggest worry isn't the props. My biggest worry is that there is no way a 38 year old Sexton survives all the pool games and is fit for the QF. Unless Frawley or Crowley come on hugely in the next year we're shagged in that regard. The drop in standard to our 2nd choice fly half is nuts. That's testament to how good Sexton is. And an indictment on how the incumbents are currently not at the races. That's what worries me. Not Finlay Bealham and Cian Healy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd say more like 5 or 6 and early emptying of the bench and it will still be a comfortable win.

No matter who we start I expect better discipline in defence than Scotland showed, and a more structured and organised game. Scotland are not good. I think Fiji, with all due respect, can be taken fairly lightly at home for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

“The boys just kept fronting up, the pack were outstanding and the centres, some of their D was amazing. We gritted it out, and that’s a very pleasing thing to say after playing South Africa.”

Sexton summed it up nicely. Shove it up your arse Erasmus!!

Ringrose was immense in defence and when Sexton went down he stepped up.

I tip my cap to O’Brien. To be parachuted in and then having to play outside centre against SA…on your debut! He’s a WC squad contender now!

vdF, Beirne - World player of the year take your pick.

Brilliant Test match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yeah, O'Brien has put himself in a really strong position to make the 33. Hume has got limited opportunities in green, but also hasn't really shone when he has appeared. O'Brien could also be the answer in terms of who backs up Keenan, and is a great fit for the #23 jumper.

This evenings game just cements in my mind that Hugo Keenan is a special player. This was his first game of the season and he was so, so good. Pivotal in Hansen's try. Fielded the initial South African bomb then popped up a few phases later to straighten the line, draw a defender and put the attack through.

I think he's the best 15 in the world right now.

A lot of people didn't rate Kearney - particularly in his latter years - but there was an awful lot to admire in how he went about himself and the value he added on the pitch.

I didn't think we'd replace him with an overall better player but I think Keenan is there already. He takes what Kearney was good at and adds a more all around attacking game and a better tackling technique. Not sure his kicking is on par yet but he's a remarkable find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He's been super, his consistency is incredible. Watching him in space is a joy, those subtle things he does, like shifting his line just before catching the ball, his long passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

My only issue with Hugo Keenan is the fact that even today, I mistakingly call him Max Deegan. And vice versa.

In every other way he brings me nothing but joy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Max Deegan

Jack Conan

Hugo Keenan

Its like one of those morphing images.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I said on the match thread that I thought Doris was having a massive game, looking at the stats he made most carries and most metres of any Irish forward and only one SA forward made more yards, he made joint most tackles for Ireland (along with Ryan) and only second overall behind Etzebeth, he had at least one turnover at the ruck, he kept the ball alive for Hansen's try and he was just generally everywhere. Thought he was MOTM by a distance.

Doris is a bit like Heaslip in that unless you are watching out for him it might seem like the game was passing him by but in actual fact he’s putting in a shift and doing lots of grunt along with the few highlight reel moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

A shout out to POM too, at his narky best and not taking a step backwards. Not sure who's gonna be designated as Ireland's cranky hole kickers (driving standards is the pc term I think) when Jonny and him retire.

Great test match, Dorris motm in my book.

Advertisement