Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Left wing approved" Joe Rogan alternative

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He implied it in the post above mine. That he's asking for recommendations on who to listen to, because if people are saying you shouldn't listen to (like Joe Rogan who is specifically named in the thread title and opening post), they should be able to tell you who you should listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

What about "the group chat" podcast. Journalists Gavin Reilly, Zara King and Richard Chambers.

I had a listen a few times. It's very PC and "liberal " .

Would that tick whatever boxes you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

Most intelligent people when speaking, do often qualify what they are saying as either a opinion or a fact.

My point was that I've heard alot of throwaway stuff on Rogan (mainly in his earlier podcasts) that was just misinformed, but they didn't let that get in the way of the conversation. Of you're spouting nonsense as fact, that's harmful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Except this isn't true. There's no such thing as cancel culture.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Advertisement

Oh that old chestnut.

Andrew Doyle tore asunder that particular canard many months ago.

Andrew Doyle is left-wing by the way OP. I can recommend listening to him for some semblance of balance and honesty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Yes they're friends but their podcasts are very very different. Lex is a very bright guy, who has a great ability to interview smart people in an interesting way. He is very versed in science and comes from that background.(His dad is a plasma physicist).

Joe on the other hand is more of an all rounder, can hold a conversation, but would generally not be versed enough in the discussion to ask telling questions.

Personally I hate the whole left right dichotomy. Its completely meaningless these days. Just not very helpful in understanding what people actually believe in.

It's mad that Joe Rogan is now seen as right wing. I used to listen to him all the time. I've bought multiple books directly from the guests he's had on but he lost the plot once covid started. He was always in conspiracies (used to think the moon landing was faked) but it reached another level when it moved on from harmless fun. He's a 55 year old man who refused the vaccine in favour of exercise and diet. Then when he got covid he "threw the kitchen sink at it" with a cocktail of medications from the industry that created the vaccine. What a fcuking moron. He had guest after guest pushing fringe theories in the guise of "just asking questions". For "balance" he had that CNN anchor on, which was basically throwing meat to the wolves. There was no balance there at all. He eventually had Michael Osterholm on again and it really was sad to see how Rogan was ingrained in his beliefs (constantly using anecdotes about his friends in the face of larger scale data) when talking to someone who actually knew what they were talking about. If I was Neil Young, I'd also be taking my music off Spotify to draw attention to the casual misinformation he's spreading.

Lex Friedman is a good alternative but he's not very entertaining unfortunately. Sam Harris is great but mostly because I agree with everything he says.

The conspiracy theory industry is enormous.

Just look at how wealthy Alex Jones and David Icke have gotten over the past decade, to name a few. Even Russell Brand hints at popular conspiracy theories on his show. It's what encourages likes and shares because there's an enormous market of incredulity out there who lack the capacity for self-awareness and honest engagement with a subject. Conspiracy theories and oven-ready worked out easy solutions to complex problems are prime meat for these mindless sheep. This is made easier if the host or video has a veneer of truth or respectability.

Ultimately it's a business he's running. And so the bottom line will always determine his actions, not the other way around.

The same thing that happened with Dr John Campbell. What started out with good intentions became a business model, and now Campbell hints at conspiracy theories in his videos under the guise of "...just asking questions".

It's worth emphasizing that none of these preachers of the truth believe a word of these conspiracy theories. They act as if they do, as part of their performance. They're smart, and they know where the sheep are and where the money lies. Rogan had Jones on many times, but Rogan must know that Jones is effectively a charismatic actor that doesn't believe a word of it, yet Rogan never challenged Jones on that basis.

As I say, they all know what they are doing, and they do it very well.

• Advertisement

I've listened to him, he's not bad but he's a bit of a nutjob at times.

In fairness, that's a prerequisite for any left-wing commentator.

I'll give that a go too. Thanks. Wasn't aware of that one.

I don't see it as very much different than a conversation down at the pub. It's a give that what anyone says is their own opinion... you don't need to bring a fact-checker along, just your brain and a healthy amount of scepticism (depending on who's speaking).

Talking about Rogan's earlier youtube stuff that clearly wasn't meant to be "now here is the definitive wikipedia take on X". A lot of the time they were drunk or stoned or just buzzing. They talk as if it's a fact that it's their opinion, not that it's a fact that it's a fact. There's a difference.

He was the only large platform where any questions whatsoever around the vaccines, lockdowns and mandates were aired at the time. Therefore was seen (wrongly IMO) as some sort of anti vaxer apologist. Whatever your opinions on this - and I'm fully vaxed and boosted - there was active suppression of any dissent. He recently said the face mask outside and party unmasked inside - is the Democrat MAGA hat and he was spot on there.

And anyone who has listened to Russell Brand will know he is far more extreme on the vaccine stuff.

Russell Brand is even worse these days. Totally embraced the paranoid conspiracies. He claims that all MSM is lies and he is the only arbiter of truth yet every source he cites on his deranged rants are from MSM sources. Have a look at the title of his videos for an idea at the kind of demograph he's trying to appeal to. It's just click bait outrage. I also used to be a big fan of his. Seen him live more than once. Really sad to see what he's become. I do wonder who writes his videos as its much more obvious that he's following the numbers and grifting as opposed to Rogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Deeply depressing. It would appear that we're regressing as a species rather than advancing.

• Advertisement

I must also say that seeing Luke O Neill - a scientist who up to that point I respected - in a bubble on Claire Byrne was a particular low point for me. Even Rogans most insane conspiracy guests paled into insignificance compared to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

What has this got to do with the OP’s question?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah yes, Sam Harris 😂

A guy so high on his own supply that he openly stated that the left wing conspiracy of shutting down the Hunter Biden laptop story "to deny the presidency to Trump" was "absolutely warranted"

Another babybrained academic with TDS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You're not going to find a "left-wing approved" alternative to Joe Rogan simply because the JRE is probably the biggest podcast in the world. As such there isn't any alternative to it of any hue.

That's a shame because in the last few years Rogan himself has really started to circle the right-wing/conspiracy rabbit hole. You referred to other podcasts not having any fact checking. That implies that you think that Rogan does. In reality Rogan tends to be very selective about what sort of fact-checking he chooses to do. He'll pepper people with questions if they don't agree with his own priors - otherwise he won't be as rigorous and tends to give them an easy time.

This was especially evident during Covid - I recall him question Rhonda Patrick on the topic of Covid and vaccines (she was pro-vaccine) up until the point at which she admitted that she didn't know an answer or that nobody did (Aside: if someone says that they don't know something then that's a great sign that they're likely to be on the level). At the same time he had Robert Malone pushing blatant vaccine disinformation (with the utmost confidence) and Rogan didn't question him to the same level at all - because he was telling him what he wanted to hear.

That's not balanced. That's not even fact-checking. That's putting your thumb on the scale.

You can also do this by the choice of guests that you have on. He seems to love platforming people who make a loving out of pushing disinformation of one type or another. Almost all of them are on the right but then once in a while he'll have some "left-wing" grifter on like Tulsi Gabbard or Jimmy Dore so that he can claim that he's balanced.

I say all of this as someone who has watched a lot of JRE. When he has astrophysicists or botanists or, well any scientists really then that was some of the best long form content you could find online. His MMA shows are always great too. It's a shame he doesn't do more of that and less of the "ranting about people from the other side" type shows that seem to be more and more of his output now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I fail to see how there’s got to be a “leftist” alternative to Rogan, if you consider his content and who he appeals to.

These days conspiracy theories tend to be almost exclusively a thing of the right. And who is on the right has radically changed in recent times.

People who only a decade ago would have been considered and considered themselves, left of centre, have now completely swallowed the right wing kool aid and now post and tweet US Culture War memes and ill considered racist “philosophy”.

Ok, if you like listening to podcasts that sound like it's a random conversation down the bar then that's grand. I don't personally listen to podcasts to get that, I'd just go down the pub and take part in one.

His podcast isn't all conspiracy theories, not by a long shot. The fact you don't know this tells me you've never actually listened to him outside clickbaity snippets. And as for racism, he has far more African Americans on than anything else I've seen and treats them as friends and human beings which is far more than you can say for most American media nowadays where they include an ivy league African American as a token gesture.

So what kind of podcasts do you listen to? I like the conversational style ones but also occasionally narrative based ones. And a chat down the pub is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Rogan is left wing. He's just not a far left zealot so he's smeared as being right wing by the media.

Advertisement