Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air tight air vent

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You have lost me. I don't understand what you are referring to in the link or regards design build\mvhr. This is a house I bought?

You asked about my ACH result. I understand this is air tightness figure? I managed to get XML file for my BER, see relevant section below:

RdzyoGz.jpg

thats a particularly poor ACH result

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

At least the 4’’ holes are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats a particularly poor ACH result

There are a few figures with ac/h referenced. Which figure is the overall air tightness figure? The 0.239 I'm guessing ?

When you say it's particularly poor, any more context so I can understand how poor? What is typical ac/h figure for A3 rated house (semi-detached, timber frame, 110sqm, constructed before 2017)?

A quick Google tells me Part L 2011 specifies infiltration due to structure to be 0.35 ac/h. Figure for my house is 0.239. How is my figure particularly poor?

According to this link here http://2eva.ie/air-tightness-test/ my ac/h figure seems particularly good?

Best practise in domestic dwellings calls for an ac/h rate of:

3.0 ac/h – natural ventilation (i.e. with wall vents) – very easy to achieve
    1.5 ac/h – with mechanical ventilation
    0.6 ac/h – Passive House Standard

BryanF wrote: »
    At least the 4’’ holes are ok

What 4" holes are you referring to? And what makes you say they are ok?

A quick Google tells me Part L 2011 specifies infiltration due to structure to be 0.35 ac/h. Figure for my house is 0.239. How is my figure particularly poor?

The 0.35 is the absolute maximum allowed under building reg compliance.
    It equates to an air infiltration rate of 7m3/hr/m2... So picture that... For every square meter of the house.... 7 cubic meters of air is passing through the fabric every hour. That's a kin to a hole the size of a 5c coin being drilled into your walls and roof at every meter center...

Your figure of 0.239 equates to an air inflation rate of 4.78m3/hr/m2..... Which to me shows a lack of any stragety to prevent air leakage and possibly poor workmanship or finishing practises.

It just means you will be losing most of the heat in your house through air draughts....this costing you more to run the house

• Advertisement

Ok. So my ac/h figure more than satifies Part L.

What is typical ac/h figure for A3 rated house (semi-detached, timber frame, 110sqm, constructed before 2017)?

Every figure is relative. To say my ac/h is particularly bad it needs a reference with respect to which it is particularly bad in comparison to. With respect to Part L it is clearly not particularly bad as it is well under max allowed value. So what is your reference when you say 0.239 ac/h is particularly bad?

We are talking about a standard semi-d built by a developer. Not a passive house.

We are talking about a standard semi-d built by a developer.

And thus why is a particularly poor result.
    Which is a pity because it's actually quite easy to make a timber frame house particularity air tight with not much extra cost.... But if course developers are only interested in maximising profit and not in maximising energy efficiency.

All my tender contracts have a min target air tightness of 3, which is an air change rate of 0. 15. Generally easy enough to achieve with ceiling membrane, ope taping and attention to detail in the workmanship.

I was once involved in a build of close to 3000 sq ft where the total air leakage was the size of an A5 sheet of paper.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    And thus why is a particularly poor result.

Once again. In comparison to?

And what is typical ac/h figure for A3 rated house (semi-detached, timber frame, 110sqm, constructed before 2017)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LauraWestCork

Hi all, probably totally wrong place to post so apologies if this is the case (feel free to move moderator). I'm looking for recommendations for air tightness testing in Cork.
    Thanks any recommendations and advice much appreciated, getting deep retrofit done on 1970s bungalow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WorldIsFalling

I have almost the same problem right now and before fixing it I wanted my vents to be cleared, so maybe someone knows good services out there in Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WorldIsFalling

oh, sorry, didn`t figured out ie stands for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I know most of the comments here are old but there is a lot of shouting going on about the requirement for non closable vents but I have been told by leading ventilation firms that mechanical ventilation is an option in this situation. Is that untrue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

For a room with combustion. if mechanical ventilation is not permitted, as there any mechanical ventilation system that can detect carbon monoxide and open for it?

Liked any building regulation, if you are doing something that isn't covered by the prima facia compliant TGDs, it's up to you to prove to the building control officer that your solution still complies with the regulation.

So in regards to the ventilation building regulations, the actual regulation states

"Adequate and effective means of ventilation shall be provided for people in buildings. This shall be achieved by:

(a) limiting the moisture content of the air within the building so that it does not contribute to condensation and mould growth, and

(b) limiting the concentration of harmful pollutants in the air within the building.

so if you want to offer a solution which i snot "permanent non closable background ventilation" which the TGD offers as prima facia compliance, then its up to you to get this confirmed with your local BCO

Advertisement