Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v South Africa Virgin media 17:30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Porter to Belham I assume. Certainly wasn’t any more obviously forward than Etzebeths one for SA’s second try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭almostover

The point was the gulf in class between them means that if we bring Carbery on with 20mins to go we may not win. We need to move on from him as soon as we can. He's not an international 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭clsmooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Very obvious and very forward between Porter & Bealham. I was convinced we were going to get a TMO review and didn't celebrate the score. Still didn't think we'd get it until Sexton kicked the ball at the conversion.

Unreal stuff. Phenomenal determination against the exact type of South African performance I feared was incoming.

A real battle of the packs, Ireland fronted up for longer and that gave us the buffer required to keep that incredible South African bench on the back foot.

Should take a lot from that, South Africa showed up to win at all costs and never gave up. Definitely a few weak links in there for the Saffers but same could be said for us, and going on the team sheets probably more so.

Huge performances from the entire team, no one had a bad day under the severest of pressure albeit some of the 23 dealt with it better. We definitely didn't want to lose McCloskey but rallied well, Furlong was probably going off within 5 - 10 minutes of when he did but no one should be surprised by that performance from Bealham - if Furlong didn't exist he'd be spoken about in a manner more reflective of the standard of player he is. Bealham gets into a lot of international sides in my opinion.

Similarly with Murray, I'd say he was probably making way for JGP early enough and Park was utterly sensational in the second half. Saved us a good few times and showed utter commitment.

Doris and Ryan the standouts for me overall and outshone VDF ever so slightly. Thought Hansen and Keenan both had exceptional games - Balacoune didn't seem to have as much involvement but good exposure from him. Ringrose imperious, having a great season.

Sexton I have down as making over 10 tackles, defensively extraordinary today but lacked fluency in attack - particularly early on. One concern is that he was very quiet from around 50 minutes on (indicated post match he had a knock) and the lack of trust in Carberry over a hurt Sexton doesn't bode well. Joey has two big weeks coming up.

I said at the outset this was a stare down. South Africa blinked, on we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭hold my beer

That wasn't forward for me, but I'd have to look again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This other camera angle shows the pass from Porter definitely went backwards out of the hands.

I think the first angle, combined with Porter being tackled just as he released the ball, created the illusion of it going forward.

Also Bealham caught it behind him - it might have been forward but I think much more marginal than appears from the first angle. I also suspect the TMO did in fact review.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed it was checked. You can also see his hands go backwards which is usually a telltale sign.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭crossman47

Excellent summary. People who said POM was gone last year are quiet tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Have to parrot much of what's already been said. McCloskey very good before he went off bar sliding off one tackle on DDA (not the only person tonight to do that to be fair).

Jimmy O'Brien hugely impressive as his replacement - just excellent basics; very few if any mistakes.

Ringrose with a supreme performance.

Hugely physical game - pack will be feeling that one tomorrow.

Bealham very impressive in Furlongs absence too - rightly opened up Koch on one scrum. Got caught on his first one against Ox but adapted.

Feel for Murray - was having a decent game. JGP is so good on the ground too - if he can cut out his miskicks he could make himself a Top 3 international nine behind Smith and Dupont.

This game shows us what we already knew - with a mostly first choice team we can beat anyone. If the injuries from today are long term, I'm more interested in how the Australia game goes. How do we get on when we are one down on the depth chart in key positions from the get go.

Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

How many of the contested high balls did we win? It seemed to me that we were bested there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Great result, really savvy how they kept the heads and ran the clock and didn’t panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭basillarkin

and when sexton gets injured before or during the world cup where do we go then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I hope this isn't the end of McCloskey in green, he really put his hand up and showed up well before the injury.

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCloskey was having a great game IMO, showing he’s up to this level. Genuinely gutted for him. Dunno if it was shown on TV but a few of the players went up to him in a consoling way when he was going off, Sexton included. Obviously must be well regarded.

Carbery getting 2 minutes speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Great to see a Jack Crowley out there. The RWC is all about having depth in the squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It does, but the next two weeks will speak more. There is an opportunity to give Carbery two starts now. I can understand going all out to win this one, but if they won't even risk him for Fiji and Aus next then it is a death knell.

I'd say he has little or no chance of starting against Aus.

• Advertisement

If Sexton is fully fit I doubt it alright. If Sexton is carrying anything (and it was unclear when he went off) and is still pushed out then it say something.

I don't necessarily think its wrong - if management doesn't think Carbery is up to it then so be it. I don't think starting him against Aus would make a difference in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Shehal

After today I dont want to hear a dicky bird about physicality. If we could stand up to that today then we can stand up against anyone, if we lose physicality shouldn't be an excuse.

I'm not sure why he's still in the match day squad being honest.

If he's fit for Australia I think he should get a start even if Henshaw is fit. I would love to see McCloskey get a proper run against a top nation.

In the second half the Virgin TV commentator mentioned Ringrose having a 'quietly effective' game. I thought he was anything but quiet tbh. Made some huge carries and hits in defence. Also acted as first playmaker on numerous occasions. He's in the form of his life right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

If you can match South Africa's physicality, then they don't have a whole lot else in my opinion. I think it will take an awful lot to go wrong for us to not beat them at our current level. I don't think we even played particularly well today but we matched up physically and the game was probably closer than it should have been in the end.

South Africa clearly targeted this game and the physicality was off the charts. Granted they were missing a couple but I think they were in better shape than us. A lot of our frontliners are not up to speed this season yet and still had enough for them.

James Ryan was exceptional I thought. Outplayed his much daunted opposing locks.

JGP is miles ahead of Murray these days. Murray still has a value but it should be as a closer only. Enjoyable game.

Ryan had a great game but Etzebeth was the best lock on the pitch. Some of his carries were thunderous and he showed great hands for the 2nd SA try. But again, great to see Ryan playing really well. Seems he coming back towards his peak of 2018/2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Carbery?

The management think he's the second best OH we have and no one has yet proved them wrong.

Anyone who thinks Frawley, Crowley or anyone else would have got more minutes than Carbery today is absolutely delusional.

Seriously lads.

Because he's the management choice of the second best 10.

Frankly, at this point I'd be tempted to put Burns in that position instead but its obvious why he is there. No matter who they pick the gap to Sexton is still a yawning chasm.

• Advertisement

Agree fully, none of the other incumbents are better than Carbery, currently. What we've learned is that Carbery isn't near Sextons level, nor will he ever be. We have to hope some of the others can bridge that gap.

I'd also have Burns ahead of him. I've watched Joey the last while for Munster and his appearances for Ireland and I just don't get it. The management team have him in there for whatever reason but fir the life of me I don't know what it is.

It's fairly obvious to that the gap behind Sexton is enormous but I just don't see how he plays more than 2, maybe 3, games in the WC and that's if we're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Real shame because he had started pretty well. You just have to wonder whether that was his chance. Maybe it just isn't meant to be and not through any real fault of his.

JOB was excellent off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He was only bringing on the kicking tee. I could have done that... probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Agreed that Etzebeth had some big carries and excellent hands for the try but I thought in the tight where it mattered most today, Ryan was the better player.

The objective is to immerse players within the squad - they get to know the systems and the culture. Then when they are needed they are ready.

• Advertisement

Well if he's fit next week, he'll get another go against Fiji, but then Aki and maybe Henshaw will be available for Australia.

He definitely didn't look out of place tonight.

That was one of Ryan’s best games for Ireland. He would definitely be on the plane for a Lions tour based on that performance.

I was genuine blown away by JOB off the bench. He is a perfect 23 player as he's like a Swiss army knife as you can put him anywhere and he'll cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

One kick he didn't make touch, another he made about ten yards. He certainly wasn't bad, But excellent??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Do you mean racist tendencies? I'm not sure what 'racial tendencies' would be.

Are they proclaiming that rugby as a sport, or World Rugby, isn't/aren't racist? Or are they lecturing people watching, saying they shouldn't be racist? Maybe it's both.

If it's the first one, was rugby as a sport accused of being systemically racist? If they are racist their proclamation would have zero value, and if they aren't racist then what's the point of it? Should all organisations loudly announce that they're against racism and the default assumed position if they don't be that they are racist? What a fatuous situation.

If it's the second one, I don't think an actual racist would change their mind upon hearing this message; if anything it would probably entrench them in their position.

So, yes, it's vacuous nonsense, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Good result, some very strong performances. JOB & JGP both did very well when they came on.

Keenan very solid again especially having first game of the season.

Baloucoune looked a bit off the pace, jumping well before he needed to for high balls with desperate out stretched arms. But good to get an idea of where he is at.

I dont think SA will be too disappointed with the result, if they had a kicker they could have won the game. I think they would fancy their chances against us in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Thought Sexton played below average and only for the other subs all being used they would have brought Carbery on earlier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think the point is supposed to be that any players who are experiencing racism should feel comfortable talking about it and that World Rugby will have their backs. Or to encourage people to take a stand against **** racist jokes or comments whether or not those comments concern the people in question.

I really don't see much of that in practice though.

Ah folks. Can people not just ignore clowns like this. They're either trying to be 'edgy' or they're harbouring genuine prejudice.

Whichever it is, the best option is not to give in to their attention seeking.

Do we know how serious the Frawley injury is or was he taken off as a precaution on Friday night? I ask this, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I found it interesting how it was Crowley bringing the tee on for Sexton rather than someone like Frawley.

Presumably Crowley was an extra man in the squad. If Sexton or Carbery was injured before kick off then he was in. This may have been the plan even if Frawley was fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Since the team was announced there were rumblings about why Murray was selected and why JGP was on the bench.

The fact that Ireland were blown away in collisions and rucks, got little front foot ball etc in the first half the game is ignored.

The fact that the VDF try from the line out shows that the pack were preparing to be outpowered is ignored.

The fact that the game turned as Ireland got on the front foot, won collisions and rucks is ignored.

It’s not enough for some that JGP is a highly effective weapon behind a pack that has the upper hand.

The fact that how the game initially unfolded totally vindicated the strategy - with Murray controlling things behind a pack struggling for parity before JGP capitalized on our later game strength up front - must also be ignored.

The idea that a scrum half is the thing that speeds up ruck ball isn’t really worth engaging with.

JGP is an excellent asset to have and I am glad we have both (with Casey and Doak in the wings)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

'The fact that Ireland were blown away in collisions and rucks, got little front foot ball etc in the first half the game is ignored.'

That's not the first half I remember

'The fact that the VDF try from the line out shows that the pack were preparing to be outpowered is ignored.'

What?

Good attacking highlights reel from Jackman.

was DDA lucky not to be referred to the ref by TMO? 36 seconds on that video.

When you know your pack is hopelessly overpowered, that's exactly when you kick a penalty to the corner and go for the rolling maul.

Makes sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement