Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fusion Comet 48kW 3 Phase (kva Connection Requirement)

Options
  • 28-10-2022 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what type of 3 phase connection i need to run a 48kw electric boiler?

I got a quote for 3 phase with an MIC of 16kva, but not sure if this is 16kva per phase? and even if it is, whether this is enough for a 48kwh boiler?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A 48 kVA supply? This is going to be expensive. What are you trying to achieve here?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lebigmacncheese

I want to install a Fusion Comet 48kW 3 Phase Electric Boiler.....

I just rang the boiler company and they said the boiler draws max 69.3 amps per phase....so i assume 3 phase with 80 amp fuses would be sufficient....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

What about the rest of the installation, what are you trying to heat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Residential or commercial?

You know that 48kW = 48 electrical units per hour of running and that gas or even oil will be more financially efficient at that rate?

• Advertisement

You can get 1kwh of electricity for 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 cents (depending on supplier) few a few hours each night with time of use meter.... Which is less than 1kwh of heat from oil (anything from 14 to 18 cents per kWh depending on boiler efficiency). So the idea is to draw down all the heart you can during that window, and use it during the day. I'm in the middle of town with no gas and no where ready to install hear pump right now... And capital cost is way lower, system is silent, no fumes, efficiency doesn't vary based on ambient temps...

A big old house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I doubt those rates would be still be available to you after you upgrade your system to be able to cope with the large power draw of that boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The connection upgrade would also cost thousands of euros. Upgrading your consumer unit to deal with three phase would cost a good bit too. All of this would be better put toward saving for the heat pump.

Building enough storage capacity to store enough hot water to get you through a cold day would also be expensive. You’d need a very big storage cylinder with an enormous coil to take the heat off that monster of a boiler.

You could buy a load of cylinders with 2kW of immersion elements for less than the cost of that boiler and it would work on a regular supply. It would obviously take up a lot of space but that’s the same problem you will have with the electric boiler.

But I just don’t see how any of this really solves your problem in an economic or environmentally friendly way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Interesting use of smart tariffs - but you are thinking too big - 48KW will be impractical - you are into a commercial electrical supply with different rates - much more expensive.

A typical house supply would be 12KVA, you would need 60KVA+. I would forget about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement