Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There'll have to be other entrances added in the future. Currently it's planned for Stephens Green Station to have a single entrance, a big mistake from an overcrowding pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Will the Tbm be in the ground come next election if the government serves it's full term? Tax revenues are 7.3 billion euro ahead of this time last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I don't think that money is really an issue, as demonstrated the surplus Corp tax for 10 months of one year alone is about enough to cover the cost outright. The issue is perception of money being spent in the capital with a rural party like FF in power. There is also the issue that irelands debt is high, about €238bn and there is an argument that surpluses should be used to reduce that debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

It's not that simple.

Ireland's Debt to GDP was 60% is 2020 and Debt to GNI was 105%.

In 2022 Q2, Debt to GDP was 50%.

There are issues with both comparisons, but I wouldn't assume we are massively over indebted versus other EU countries. We are performing better than Italy, Belgium, Spain and Greece using both comparisons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm from rural FF country and anyone who cares about what the Government is spending money on is giving out enough about the cost of lockdowns and asylum seekers/refugees to give out about any Metro.

The argument that surpluses in this country should be used to reduce debt don't really hold water in a country where corporation tax windfalls are used to fund permanent health overruns. The concept of value for money doesn't seem to be in the lexicon of this particular Government.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"There are issues with both comparisons, but I wouldn't assume we are massively over indebted versus other EU countries."

This is largely supported by have oversubscribed our national debt sales have been and the extremely low interest rates we have to pay on them. Basically the market sees no issues with our level of debt. Having said that, we will need to manage it carefully going forward with quickly rising interest rates and potential impact recession can have on the multinationals and thus corporate tax.

Having said that, I see no particular reason why we would have any difficulty funding Metrolink. We really need to get past freaking out about relatively short term economics. Building infrastructure is for the long term.

Build the Metrolink today and it will still be used by our great grandchildren 100 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Do you not think having the OCS station so far from the red line is in fact a massive issue?

Case in point: family of 5 from tallaght are going on holiday 2 adults 3 young kids and they want to use PT to get to the airpot- they’d have a 6 minute walk with 5 suitcases plus a buggy each way from the Luas to the metro!

That’s not connectivity to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

A 6 minute walk, if it is that, is nothing when you’re travelling. You can easily walk 15 minutes to your gate in an airport. Land in Charles De Gaul and it takes the guts of half an hour to get on the train into Paris centre.

In London, when you get off the Heathrow express, it’s about a 20 minute walk to the security gates.

You can be walking for 10-15 minutes underground in some London stations to switch tube lines (e.g. bank where the tunnels loop around for hundreds of metres and then you are up and down multiple escalators).

A short walk across O’Connell Street is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

If they really want, they can get the Luas to Connolly, Dart to Tara, Metro to airport. But when you consider the amount of walking involved in most modern airports, whats another 6 minutes in the grand scheme of things.

Or maybe in the future they'll be able to get Metro west from Redcow to join up somewhere with Metrolink.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

A tourist in Dublin would think absolutely nothing of that connecting walk. If they were bothered by it they’d have been getting a taxi in the first place. The metro isn’t intended to be the sole mode of airport transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The great thing about a network is that not every line has to connect to every other line. There just needs to be enough connections for a network effect benefit to kick in.

With 5 suitcases and a buggy?

In all the examples you mention above would you have trolleys for pushing the suitcases?

Will there be trolleys going from the red line stop to the OCS metro stop 😂

We are supposed to be encouraging people to take PT and take a car off the road.

How will this encourage families to take PT to get to the airport if they’ve suitcases and buggies to lug around from a Luas to a metro via a busy main shopping road with no luggage trollies?

It’s fairly ludicrous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

As said by Prunudo - they can get Luas to Connolly, Dart to Tara, Metro to airport if they don't fancy the walk. Adds time but eliminates the outdoor walking. They could also go one stop on the green line between the two OCS stops. Or they could do the walk and realise it's not actually that bad.

Your example is fairly tortuous by the way (3 kids, young enough to require buggies but also having a suitcase each). Like what small percentage of travellers are going to fit into that grouping? And if we can't cater for them satisfactorily and they choose to get a taxi for all or part of this trip does it actually matter? We aren't looking for 100% of trips to be catered for. When you get to groups of 5 then the economics of 5 public transport fares will sometimes make a taxi fare a better option.

My example was 5 suitcases and one buggy- as in a baby and two kids under ten.

Sorry I should have made that a bit clearer.

This scenario would be fairly common though. Would it not be better to design the system to facilitate these types of journeys to encourage cars off the road?

It will absolutely be a nightmare lugging 5 suitcases and a buggy plus three kids up the capitals main shopping road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We shouldn’t build anything to facilitate random families doing specific journeys, the airport is just one stop on the route most people aren’t going to be using that stop regularly. That family are already lucky to be living so close to the redline that they can herd their kids luggage and buggies there in the first place presumably without the 6 minute walk that’s an issue in the middle. They are doing a lot better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Very few families in Tallaght would use the Luas, it’s very far removed from most of the housing stock in the area where families live. Obviously a fair few would be living around the square but to most people not within ten min walk of the Luas would call getting to it a “trek” and would go for the 77a or 49.

i haven’t measured it but I’d say Tara Street is closer to Abbey Street than OCS? The main issue is walking that way with anything on your person is like an obstacle course with the quays and narrow footpaths and such.

sure the connection could be closer, but babies and bath water and all that

Random families, specific journeys???!

Dublin Airport is in the top 10 busiest airports in the EU. Estimated 40million passengers in 2022. That's including a suppressed long haul market and before the new runway opened. Those numbers are only going up.

I think you'll find the Metro has very specifically been designed for the airport.

Post edited by brianc89 on

They probably would have anyway or just drove. Cherry picking an extreme sample is a waste of time. Most people using the airport stop will be staff or people travelling to or from the city for tourism/business. Yes ideally the connections would be really close and covered but it’s not the difference between the metro being a success and not. The airport is just one stop it’s not the reason it’s being built.

• Advertisement

Fantastic break down thanks for that. I can see I’ll have to watch out for further razor sharp posts from you.

its extreme because of all the journeys to the airport how many are going to be family’s of 5 coming in on the red line with all their luggage and a buggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

There will be volunteers (in athletic gear) to help them bring the trolleys between the stations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It has been very specifically designed for Swords really and the majority of airline customers are business travellers and short hop people who will not have this 5 luggage/1 pram access issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I really don’t think it’s a common example of an airport trip. I rarely see people with young children using a metro to get to the airport when I travel in Europe. Happy to be corrected but genuinely don’t think It’s the typical method of getting to the airport for that cohort.

These groups will typically not want to get a metro regardless of whether the changeover is 30secs fully underground or 10 mins above ground. How are they even getting to the Luas in the first place? Are they living right beside it or do they have to walk (god forbid) to the stop? They will clearly get a taxi in the vast majority of scenarios.

The metro will take away hundreds of taxi journeys to the airport each day - it doesn’t have to remove every journey.

Post edited by GoldFour4 on

What are we even discussing here? The merits of the "pram" example? 😂

The red line connection is far from ideal - this cannot be argued. Walking 6 minutes in your suburb and walking 6 minutes in an airport are very very different to walking 6 minutes on the busiest street in the country, whether alone or a "herd" of children behind you.

Even in Heathrow, the crowd are only traveling a limited number of directions and there are signs everywhere. This versus the chaos of OCS.

Another alternative to avoiding OCS is a Red Luas to New Spencer Dock Dart station and switch to Metro at Glasnevin. I'd take that any day of the week over switching on OCS.

Walking 10minutes in your local neighborhood versus 10minutes on OCS are very different experiences.

Apart from this, I agree with you entirely. The vast majority of families would budget in a taxi for their trip abroad.

Regarding Europe, families tend to drive to a campsite or take the train - lots of neighboring countries to choose from. We don't have the same choice in Ireland unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Are we really discussing the merits of a public transport network plan based on a Fast Show sketch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Walking 10 mins on OCS is outside and a very diff experience from walking 10 mins inside an airport or a Tube station which are both indoors.

There should be an OCS Metrolink station entrance on the northeast corner of OCS/Middle Abbey St junction.

Advertisement