Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou McDonald's interviews today

• 06-11-2022 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I was listening to Mary Lou McDonald on Newstalk and she came across rather narky.

Seems gangland crime is far more serious than bombing men women and children into smithereens in that she claims she did not know of Johnathan Dowdall's long association with crime in the inner city and would not have let him into the party, yet has no issue with those who made bombs that killed many people in Northern Ireland and Britain.

Frankly, I'd prefer to be mugged than to be blown to death

She then got extremely touchy when asked about their refusal to call southern Ireland the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland by its official name, Northern Ireland saying that people should not get heated about some minor side show - if its such a minor sideshow why can't sf state that there are 2 parts to the island - Northern Ireland (part of the UK) and the Republic of Ireland.

She also claimed that she did not instruct SF members to talk to shane ross - well that's true as it's the inner circle in Belfast that dictate what you can or cannot say.

She'll be on RTE next - but I suspect that will be rather mooted affair due to her ongoing defamation action against them for suggesting that sf were holding back information about Maria Cahill

Not a good interview at all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Standard Interview by a politician really.

Played it safe, never really answered anything asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thought she did very well there on RTE with an interviewer determined to stay in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The RTE one wasn't that muted. He threw lots of stuff at her from the Shane Ross book (about her personal finances, legal actions etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I came in to say the opposite. I thought she said nothing new and just trotted out the same old lines that satisfy the party faithful. No explanation on how to fund anything except by borrowing and with no limits set.

The interviewer didn't exactly probe her on that. He was more interested in her suing, the 'RA and her house. As she said herself at one point...'hey, we had an Ard Fheis yesterday' 😁😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It was her comments that people with a history of bombing infrastructure and innocent people were fine as members of sf, but someone (dowdall) who at the time of his departure from sf had not been accused of murder, was not welcome.

The reason "it was OK because we were in a war". Funny I don't remember anyone other than the IRA calling it a war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I thought SF were taking the "weapon" out of politics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm fairly certainly plenty of catholics who were being murdered by the British armed forces felt it was a war too.

Her answer about Collins really should silence into embarrassment those who choose good terrorists over bad ones.

If you are going to honour one set of revolutionaries/freedom fighters/terrorists/killers(whatever you want to call them) then you can't really seriously think you have any credibility criticising those who honour another set.

Some really have to come to terms with history and listen to what is being said...'we really really do not want to go back there' etc.

I don't think any of those involved are senior members of a political party.

That's the problem. Sinn fein have no issue with people involved in murder in northern Ireland and Britain being a member of their party.

That will always be a problem

• Advertisement

Don't agree.

There were people who were involved in killing and 'terrorism' in the Dail well into the 60's. Ande for decades before it functioned as well.

25 years after the GFA and more and more people have no issues that some of SF were involved in a conflict/war and did what they promised they would do...get involved in politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"She then got extremely touchy when asked about their refusal to call southern Ireland the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland by its official name, Northern Ireland saying that people should not get heated about some minor side show - if its such a minor sideshow why can't sf state that there are 2 parts to the island - Northern Ireland (part of the UK) and the Republic of Ireland."

This IS a serious issue. Are you sure that this is the case? It would imply that SF TDs elected in our Republic do not recognise the state? Surely not, please elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've yet to hear a SF TD refer to the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. I've always interpreted it as a suggestion of a refusal to recognise those political entities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

She done really well today. Some media outlets and journalists only seem interested in the past and are intent on trying to keep SF out of power.

The same journalists also only see 1 side to the troubles. Granted what the IRA done at times was horrific but what the unionists imposed on the Nationalists was state sponsored. Irish indo and rte wont acknowledge that though.

Shes right. There is no comparison to gangland crime and the struggles up north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is not history when many of the victims and immediate relatives of the victims are still around.

Try telling Austin Stack that his father's murder is history, try telling Mairia Cahill it is ok to commemorate her rape, because it is history.

It really is that simple.

Gangland crime is only in the ha'penny place compared to bombing women and children the way that the IRA did, or disappearing young mothers, killing Gardai, blowing up innocent people, and leaving bombs in pubs, blowing up old men marching etc.

I mean, is there a gangland crime even comparable to what the PIRA did to Jean McConville or blowing up a young boy in a boat?

History? A friend of mines father was murdered by the IRA in Derry.

His crime? He was a Protestant that had a business and would not pay protection money.

Not history to my friend. He lives with the consequences of sinn fein's "good criminal" action every day of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭rock22

I have relatives killed by the British army here in Ireland. i narrowly escaped the Dublin bombings, organised by the British army, by less than five minutes. Lots of us have to live with the consequences of the terrorism of the British army in Ireland.

I assume, by your logic, that members of the political parties that supported the British army, i.e. the Conservative and Labour parties, should be banned from office too?

In any event, i thought the whole purpose of the GFA was to allow people to lay down their arms and pursue their aims by political means. Or is it only certain political aims that can be advanced now?

Yeh, and Collins etc all engaged in killing and terror to affect the goals.

Celebrate one and then climb onto the high moral ground when the other is. Which was the point.

Not a leg to stand on frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

are the Unionists running for elections in this country ?

• Advertisement

Well there is more hypocrisy on that one TBH. Unionists are welcomed into the 'fold' here by some who are exclusionary about others, the party leader of one Unionist party STILL associated and taking advice from the LLC (who made threats last week to resume violence) was given a standing ovation at FG party conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We'll have to keep an eye and ear on this. Can Francie here elaborate? Surely this can't be true?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually, the name of this part of the world is Ireland.

Not Southern Ireland, nor Republic of Ireland, nor the Free State, nor the Twenty six Counties. Not even Eire, unless you are a Gaeilgeoir.

It is regrettable that the Good Friday Agreement, also known as The Belfast Agreement, did not define the terms that refer to itself, the country of Ireland, the partitioned bit known as Northern Ireland, and the bit of the United Kingdom that did not include Northern Ireland as Great Britain, or if it included that bit then it was to be known as the United Kingdom.

Oh how easy it would be to have a conversation with an Ulsterman*, or a West of Ireland man*, or even those from Southern counties without having to be careful of the geographic niceties (or nastiness - depending).

*The term Ulsterman, and West of Ireland man includes women, and those who prefer to be viewed otherwise.

I use all the names of the partitioned bit in a kind of rotation. The North, Northern Ireland, NI, the 6 counties etc. But never 'Ulster,' as it isn't Ulster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Try telling that to a DUP person. In particular what the U stands for, or for that matter what D stands for.

Elected sinn fein officials will never call Northern Ireland by the name "Northern Ireland" and likewise they will never refer to the Republic of Ireland as "Ireland" or "Republic of Ireland". If they use the word "Ireland" it will always be in the context of the combined countries of Ireland and Northern Ireland

May lou mcdonald says it is petty bringing this up. I say its petty refusing to call two distinct jurisdictions by their correct names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I think whats petty is making a thread on boards to moan about SF not using the correct terminology re: northern ireland

Party who reject partition refuse to partition the island in terminology shocker. 🙄

I don't celebrate any of them.

The difference, which you completely ignored, is that Kitty Kiernan isn't sitting here today suffering. Jean McConville's children are here with us. Paul Quinn's mother is living among us. Austin Stack still suffers from his dad's death and Mairia Cahill still bears the scars of what the PIRA and SF did to her. Quite a difference.

• Advertisement

Conveinient.

They were sitting through the first 50 years of the state when the FF FG parties were celebrating them.

Don't start being coy. You'll be telling us next that Nazi's can now begin celebrating their dead because everyone affected is dead.

Fact is, people used killing and 'terrorism' on all sides on this island many times. Selectively picking some of them to celebrate while denying others is hypocrisy and grubby political grandstanding.

Advertisement