Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Yeah, €5850 was what I paid for the OP last month. No date Sub up to €9050

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I would have thought anyone in the public eye with watches or other valuable goods would know not to keep them in their house.Goes to show though that majority of safes aren't actually that safe.

True , Im probably guilty of putting too much faith in the safe .A colleague of mine had her safe stolen out of the house.They used a Kango to break it from the wall and bounced the safe down the stairs .Smiled and gave the fingers to the camera on the way out as well as they loaded it into the boot of their car.

You would think pluta would be hyper sensitive about security and keep very little in the house particularly when he’s away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

I lolled.

live by the sword.

Put your life online and you need to expect to attract some wrong attention. Very basic security is not to post holiday pictures on Facebook advertising your empty house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lol at the reddit thread. "Finally an Invicta homage from Rolex"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Fitz II

First thing I though was..."what sort of mental gymnastics would you have to tell yourself to make that wearable" the second thing I though was your first thing.

The new TV was delivered on Thursday and I must say, it is a far better set than I was expecting. Good picture presets but with the option of ISF picture settings too. I will be digging out my spyder and tweaking it a little.

I have used LEDs behind my TVs for years as bias lighting but this is my 1st time buying an Ambilight and I really, really like the effect. It's also possible to use it as a nightlight or mood light with the TV itself off.

The Android integration is good and once I see how it runs Kodi? I could well be retiring 1 of my Nvidia shields. Decent sound, no where near a surround setup of course but that's neither here nor there for sports and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭micks_address

Nice banie... Are you sure your Spyder is calibrated? I thought I was the only freak into isf calibration.. I have a projector which throws out a 90 inch picture but it's actually pretty energy hungry so I might replace it with a large screen TV at some point.. having my solar installation finished this week so started to get all freaky about measuring energy usage.. I have my sony a90 oled calibrated by a guy from the UK who's done three sets over the years for me..

• Advertisement

I've long been a fan of ISF, since I was on Afterdawn and AVForums back in the day. Tweaking with test cards and patterns for years.

Energy usage and noise were why I ditched the projector too. It wasn't anything hi-end but it was a true 1080p and for chinesium LED gave a great picture.

On the English lad who calibrated your screens? Was he the guy who used to tour Ireland 1/2 times a year? He booked his jobs here via the forums.

I but an LG OLED in to the living room in 2019 and that's the last time I used the Spyder. I'm fairly sure I put away in the attic but my Mrs has had a clear out or 3 since then so hopefully it's still there 😳🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭micks_address

Well there was two guys.. a Scottish guy who did one set back in the day for me but Steve k does them for me now..he's a wizard at them really.. I used to try with a Spyder as well but the results were never as good as what he achieves.. it's funny everyone in the house thinks I'm bonkers getting it done and takes the piss but when we in other places then they are like god the picture is well off there...

My lot are the same. They can't understand why telly doesn't look the same everywhere 🤷‍♀️

Trying to explain colourspace and black levels to my Mrs is a waste of time but? She can at least tell the difference between SD,HD and 4K now tho 😉

I see Archie has started a gofundme for $75k! Rumours on TZUK that he was both underinsured and was holding review pieces that weren't insured at all 😳

Also came across a story over there that Gringa had a brand new FP Journé lifted a few weeks ago and again uninsured and started a GFM too.

Not to be "oh well" they should've known better about this, as it could happen to any of us, but?

There's always a but isn't there😉 Archie was broadcasting he wasn't home and with that info out in public? He made his home a target for the sake of a monitored alarm system. Yes the lads came prepared and drilled through a by all accounts quite substantial safe? They didn't do that quickly though and even I needed to add add monitoring to my alarm for insurance coverage and my fairly low/middling collection so I can't imagine it wasn't required of him too? I would be quite surprised if he wasn't required the same.

Re: Gringa, I don't know what or how it happened but some guy made a video that lays out their interpretation of Gringa's misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Ryath

Made the jump to an OLED Sony XR 55 A80J myself yesterday. Replacing a nearly 9 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma from the last year they made them. Has been a great TV. Wife wanted to get a TV for the bedroom as kids are taking over the sitting room in the evening. Decided it was a better option to upgrade the main one and move that rather than buying a cheap one for the bedroom. Was a bit of an impulse purchase when I saw it on offer was waiting for a deal on an LG OLED or leaning to a Philips Ambilight one. Google TV operating system was a big plus in favor of the Philips but my tv is in a alcove so the ambilight wouldn't be of much use. Always a fan of Sony TVs the Panasonic replaced a fairly highend 32" one that I gave to my sister in law, it's still going strong at 17 years old now.

Couldn't hang the Sony in time for the match though 😥 Had the old TV disconnected and of the wall when I discovered the Vesa mounts were way lower on the Sony and my mount couldn't adjust enough. Just about got it back on and connected for the anthems!

Going to pick up a new mount later so hopefully get it up for tonight It's only about 2cm wider and 1 higher that the old one despite the screen being 5" bigger. It's a tight fit though with my speakers underneath though. TV is in an alcove with cabinets I had built especially to fit my amp and subwoofer and all other bits. Used to have a pair of Mission floor standers but I wasn't allowed set up the room to use them. Have small Wharfedale surround set now but I don't even use the rears as there is nowhere to place them properly. I must get a pair of ceiling speakers would help. It does sound great for movies and TV but I do miss my floorstanders for music. Hopefully some day I can set them up again even just with a stereo amp.

Just used the recommended settings on the Pani, I did used to calibrate my previous TV's with the THX calibrator on the Terminator 2 DVD! 4k Blueray players is next purchase along with the 4K Lord of the Rings Boxset! When I get that I'll pull out the cabinet and tidy the cables up. There's a lot of older bits and pieces still connected that are pretty much redundant now.

I honestly cannot fathom it either. Lad pops up with a schtick of wealth, luxury and the trappings of it. The between superchats and go fund mes? Manage to get folk subsidise their hobby. I wish I had the collection and the brass neck to do it tbh 🤣🤣

That THX calibrator was brilliant IMO. The T2 Judgement day steelbox is one of the few DVDs I still own, tho at present I have nothing to play it on.

Those older Panasonic plasmas were the gold standard for so long. Brilliant panels esp if you manage to avoid burn in.

My Mrs won't let anything larger than a 55" in the sitting room. I have a decent home cinema setup in there despite her tho 🤣. An LG C8 OLED, a 5.1setup with Yamaha AVR and Sub, with a strange mix of speakers in that I'm using a Technics centre & rear from the old Technics DVD stack system and IMO the are brilliant speakers. Have 2 wharfedale diamonds as front L/R. They balance really well IMO and the technics speakers must be 25yrs old at this point but have a really warm tone I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Welcome to the world of YouTube and influencers. There's girls in mansions driving Bentleys with walk in wardrobes bigger than my bedroom and people will go onto their amazon wishlist and buy them stuff. It's a strange world we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

There is a reason why they do 3-4 hour streams daily.

Superchats are the onlyfans for watch nerds. These YouTubers add very little really. At least with a lot of the others ala Thorpe etc there is an informative value. Hard to get information from a 3-4 hour daily stream.

Archies collection was hard got. He is not rich and he hustled and traded his way into it and it was pretty good really. I think Bear was upset because so many people have followed Archies collections and its development over the years and now its gone its sort of a bit of the "community" thats gone.

Is it a scan, was it stupid...I dont know, but I feel bad for the guy, and cant help but feel that the mad internet interest in watches and the hype trains will be bookended with this robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Some of the YouTube guys would consider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Bought another watch on Saturday, seller had a nice collection and I got my hands on a sub for the first time.

I was surprised how small it was, I'm used to an omega seamaster sized watch and the sub felt small compared to one of them. Also looked small on my wrist. Quality seemed really good but the dream is over for me, just didn't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I spent years admiring a certain iconic watch, but the brand held no resonance for me. The fact that it was far to expensive was secondary.

Then, a very nice homage became available, that aped the movement in a very credible way, as well as the appearance.

I found one nearly new for half the price that was a review item, so probably had better QC than most. I bought it, adjusted it to fit, and regulated it to +1s per day.

I wore it on and off for three months and then decided I didn't like it all that much, mainly due to poor legibility of the general design, despite it being overall faultless for the full retail price.

I sold it for around 60% more than I bought it.

Now, I find myself look at other homages of exactly the same marque.

I am, without doubt, an idiot.

Carry on.

Was it an older model sub ? I don’t find the the 41mm sub different in size on the wrist compared to a current seamaster .I do find the sub much better balanced though.

More importantly what watch did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Quite possible it was an older sub, I didn’t think to ask. He had a Tudor black bay gmt and if felt around the same size as that.

I bought a 42mm pelagos.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This is it, a Seamaster is 41mm and the previous model subs are 40mm but wear considerably smaller. If you have a wrist size that is a good bit above average, they are simply too small. More suited for women. Strangely enough the new sub (41mm) wears a lot bigger than the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ha that's interesting! But surely on most people who are overweight by a only a stone or two (I'd be in that category myself), there is no fat at all on the wrist? Just bone and a very thin layer of skin? Maybe on obese people alright.

Pelagos is a nice watch and the 42 for me is much nicer than the new 39 - Enjoy

I remember I once dropped 20kg from 105 to 85. My wrist and hands got considerably thinner, even though I didnt consider I carried much weight on them. Had to have rings resized on my fingers and take links out of watches wholesale. Unfortunately I am no longer that slim but I have a fairly muscular rugby build but still my wrist is a good bit bigger than it was, and the bone has not changed. There is a lot of stuff in a wrist the bone being only a small percentage, there are the facial layers, the ligaments, the skin layres, the muscles and tendons. all these hold fat and along with it water if you BF % is higher.

Allso seeing as its claimed 1mm on a watch makes all the difference and half an inch (25mm) on the wrist bring you from normal to a wrist mountain of a man its hardly surprising that a 2mm reduction in the radius of the wrist (12mm circumferentially) thats two easy links, would drastically reduce the perception of wrist size.Or maybe the truth is that you get used to the size of a watch and its only the immediate change you see. Personally I like the smaller dial size of a sub its classy and classic but I can get used to a 39mm dress watch or a 45mm Moonwatch without any problem or feeling it doesn't suit my anatomy. If I am going for a big watch look then it look big, if I am going for a small look then it looks small

• Advertisement

The ceramic subs aren’t massively different on the wrist but a pre ceramic compared to a new sub is a world of difference.

Advertisement