Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What did you vote no four times on?

and did the people who voted yes not count?

and when did Ireland vote on a leave/stay mandate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Source? Or is this just more Brexiter nonsense?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It’s complete misunderstanding of what was voted on. So the wording of the referendum was simply leave the EU or remain in it.

I reckon the poster means the idea of a soft Brexit where notwithstanding leaving the eu they would have remained part of the single market or at least the customs union. Meaning complying with EU law. That’s not a sweet deal. That’s simply doing what they were doing.

The fcucking up this deal was completely removing themselves and essentially voting to put economic sanctions on themselves as they are subject to the worst trade tariffs. Trade deals take decades to negotiate and experts to do that. And the outcome is…

• Registered Users Posts: 26,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well the majority in Northern Ireland did vote to stay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're still putting this out, they're just putting in less effort not that much went in to begin with.

I disagree. It's the usual faff Eurosceptics have been putting out for years without facts or proof.

The UK was in the EU, had its own currency and a rebate. That's a pretty good deal. It was exporting its ageing population to Spain and importing graduates from all over the continent. Then it decided that it'd be better to put tariffs and trade barriers on itself, pull all those older people back home because apparently the NHS is under capacity and block off the qualified migrants. This is what the bespoke deal is IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What did you vote no four times on?

I wasn't quite so informed back then. As I've said before, one of the benefits of Brexit, for me at least, has been the addressing of my former ignorance of the EU and how it works. I'm just challenging the notion that we weren't allowed to vote no which Kermit has been parroting for the longest time.

and did the people who voted yes not count?

Absolutely - yet for Kermit it appears the only yes vote that counts is that of the UK when they chose to leave the EU. The Irish yes vote in the second Nice and Lisbon referenda are conveniently ignored.

and when did Ireland vote on a leave/stay mandate?

We didn't but to the best of my knowledge, bar the first Nice and Lisbon referenda, the Irish electorate has always voted or polled in favour of EU membership. Again something that Kermit chooses to willfully ignore.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Yes,the whole idea of brexit is/was a total disaster.Britain should have stayed in the EU with the bespoke deal they had.

The first scenario is when the uk was in the EU so not a Brexit deal.

the second scenario is not a deal and not factual. Just to clarify the number of uk expats in Spain pre Brexit was 290k. Post Brexit is 260k. They are able to apply for residency. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_immigration_in_Spain

putting economic barriers on themselves is not a bespoke deal. It’s a no deal.

No, it's the deal they had while in the EU. The best of all worlds. This is the deal I am referring to.

Oh, sure. Plenty of immigrants applied for permanent residency in Spain but that route is unavailable for a lot of people who'd have went and occupied spaces in the Spanish health and care sector.

Apologies I was confused. Yes agreed that it’s often parroted that we were made vote again and again on nice and Lisbon. But the fundamentals of the treaty were changed based on why we voted no in the first place.

• Advertisement

Again membership of the EU is not a deal with the EU it’s simply membership of it.

Your point on expats in Spain is lost on me. 290k of a population of 66.3 million is something like .4% of which 90% are legally allowed to stay in Spain. But notwithstanding that Brexit had nothing to do with a small towns worth of Brits in Benidorm or Majorca.

I don’t know what your point is and I may be missing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@Kermit.de.frog

The UK Pound is a floating currency and the BoE does not devalue - the markets do it for them. Their bond rates are decided by the market as well.

The market spoke following their 'mini' budget and the PM was toast.

So much for sovereignty - the market says jump and the Gov says 'How high?'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also worth clarifying that the second Lisbon vote passed by a 2/3s majority. So clearly Ireland was happy with the concessions made; enough to make the second vote a definitive Yes after the 55% who said No the first time around.

Funny how the actual intent of the Irish electorate is conveniently ignored by those wishing to grind an axe. Might make their soapbox a little.harder to stand on.

Just because I'm British doesn't mean I'm in favour of brexit.You live and work in the UK,are from a county which voted to reject the EU but I don't assume you agree with brexit or irexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭yagan

There's actually no need to mod this thread anymore because the serial Brexiters are making the exact same arguments since before June 2016 despite the non emergence of any benefits.

The biggest supposed benefit was taking back control of their shore, which as we can see the illegal immigrant situation has actually worsened post EU membership and the lack of control of EU imports puts their exporters at a greater domestic disadvantage.

Brexiters still defending no plan Brexit are certifiable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is not so much the idea of Brexit being a total disaster. It is the entire approach to it that has been a disaster.

There was no planning or thought invested in the idea. There was immature discussion. Anyone opposed to the idea firnwhatever reason was shouted down as a "remainer" - those wanting to leave used insulting terminology to belittle their opponents, and this still continues today. In addition, the leave campaign, knowing that there was a dearth of information on what will happen, made up countless lies to help secure their win. They did this with impunity and all backed up an extremely biased media.

Anyone who voted to leave did not have a clear idea as to what might happen once the UK left. There was no clear information programme laid out by government as to the plan or implementation approach.

Then with the vote secured and with no plan in place, they could have left it there fornthe politicians and civil servants to finalise but no, in an act of soverignty the Tories decided to trigger Art 50 beginning the countdown. Now tefebwere various extension periods made available to the UK but in many cases the government decided that no plan was better than having time to think of a plan.

So with zero preparation and a government overrun by idiots the UK left the EU. There still is no definitive plan aside from burn everything relsted to the EU. The government have poisoned so many once-strong relationships across Europe and for what?

Now with an actual plan of what was wanted, the UK could have somehow benefited from a Brexit so the idea wasn't necessarily a disaster. The UK were never really on board with the European idea (possibly because they may have felt they should have been supreme leaders of it)? It was the absolute clowns in control that made it a total disaster.

Retreating into your request for sources mantra doesn't fool anyone . You've taken your eye of the ball and have become complacent with the group think evident on many of these threads which claim to have an interest in uk politics but consistently ridicule or insult those who beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭yagan

Brexiters deserve derision as they can't sperate fantasy from fact.

Brexit is the greatest act of self sanctioning seen in recent history.

What's not fooling anyone is your silly Brexiter victim fantasy and Europhobia.

As we've established, you have no sources and so your narrative can be considered debunked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,664 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The very reason Brexit is floundering badly is because their nebulous concept of British "sovereignty" is completely unworkable in 2022. Truss and Kwarteng crashed the UK economy by thinking they could do whatever they like and that they didn't have to pay any attention to the international markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You'll go into meltdown when the UK rejoins the SM and CU. That's EU membership without any say in how it's all run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The United States is a currency union of extremely powerful and extremely weak economies too. The Euro has forced fiscal responsibility on countries that used to cheat their peoples with devaluations rather than squaring up to the systemic failures in their systems. I don't believe for a second that Ireland and the Irish people would be as prosperous as they are had we stayed out if the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The United States is a sovereign nation. The EU is not.

Your argument is the same as "County Cork runs a deficit and we bail them out all the time"

It's nonsense.

The Euro has not forced discipline. Can you remind us of the Italian debt to GDP ratio?

I see you are wholesale bought in to Euro propaganda. Our wealth would have happened regardless.

How do Iceland, Singapore or New Zealand get by?

All small rich economies.

What we have with you is a prime example of Irish people being told they can't do it, not up to it, not able to survive as an independent nation.

All nonsense.

And when we left the UK did we deserve derision too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Comparing brexit to Irelands independence is by far the dumbest thing you've ever posted. And you've had some whoppers.

So what are we supposed to do all sit back and say nothing when the UK do something stupid.

Ireland deserved derision for plenty of the mistakes it made post independence but you forget one massive massive difference. We were an invaded country that was part of the UK by force. No matter how you Brexiters paint it the UK had no gun to the head.

No what we have here is the Irish people deciding of their own free will that we are better off in the EU.

You can keep up the insults all you want. It doesn't change the facts.

We left the UK. Would have been economically better off remaining for at least 30 years after that.

So we shouldn't have left, right?

That's the core of your own argument.

• Advertisement

Colonialism and the EU are not the same thing. Its an insult to the victims of colonialism to suggest otherwise.

Although I do wish we stayed in the UK until the NHS was set up.

Advertisement