Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

In addition to this, the Seai have a heat loss spreadsheet that you put each room in, fill in the details and then pull the insulation values for it from the deap manual.

It's useful for radiator sizing or how big of a heatpump you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

We have an A3 house (1950s retrofit) and a combi boiler. We did the upgrades over a few years as oppposed to everything all at once so that was one consideration but we are delighted with the combi boiler - it makes so much sense for Ireland.

The maths for a heatpump just do not make sense for me, we spent under €500 on gas last year (admittedly will be more this year with the rate increases), so even lets say €1000 pa of a gas bill. Even if a heat pump were to save 100% of that (which it won't), we are talking 12-15 years minmum to recoup the after grant outlay, even will no other measures required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

That seems high. How much do you envisage the heat pump costing? If I go ahead with a heat pump I will probably retain the combi for the DHW and backup heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What thickness insulation are you putting in the floor and at the all perimeter?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The ballpark quotes I got were in the 15-20k range before grant of 6250? I think it is.

To get anything more specific I was being led down the path of paying 400+e for a site assessment, which in itself pays for a lot of gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

I believe 50mm for floor (underfloor heating) all perimeter 25mm

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

what size heat pump were they quoting you for and was there considerable remedial work to do to work it into your current system. Daikin, eco Dan 14kw heatpumps should be 12k before grant and that’s before haggling.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

That is 12k supplied or installed?

There was no site visit so remedial works were only assumed - but iirc included new rads throughout.

House is 110m2

12 k supplied, before grant. They’ve some mark up on labour there. Switching it out should be about 1 day 2 max with commissioning.

thats 14kw to I’m guessing they suggested 8 for your house. Changing out rads and tank if required could be quite a different story.

if you have suitable rads/ufh and suitable storage tank a hp shouldn’t be too much hassle to swap out.

No storage tank as we're coming from a combi boiler so that likely contributed to the cost alright.

No underfloor either, hence likely rad replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Please check that out, UFH requires anything up to 325 mm, which is used in many Passive houses with a 75 mm perimeter

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

What would it be if we went with those #s, 325mm floor, all perimeter 75mm? Again, from my original post I've got two floors: 120m2 and 100m2, total 220m2 top spec insulation for completely new build.

I'm just trying to run a sanity check on the builder's proposal for a 16kW Samsung Gen 6 unit, which I think too high (maybe 8kW?). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I have a house similar to yourself 220m2 4 bed 2 story A1 rated (A2 before PV) and the HP i have installed is a 12kW Samsung Joule unit and is working away no probs.

The sizing of my unit was done from the Provisional BER cert and the estimated heat load required.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Thanks. If I look at a calculator like https://ecoplus.ie/heat-pump-size-calculator/ and put in a generous 220m2 for house area, HLI of 1.5 (also generous, it’s well insulated) and the temps as given (-3/20) I get a 7.6kW result/requirement. Maybe 16KW is overkill for my build? This site also mentions: “What happens if a heat pump is oversized?

An oversized heat pump will cycle frequently. This increases both energy consumption and wear and tear. Cycling can be reduced somewhat with a large buffer tank. Variable-speed heat pumps also minimize the cycling problem. But even then, the heat pump will run very frequently at part-load, reducing efficiency.

And maybe going down some KW is supported elsewhere++ (e.g. https://www.imsheatpumps.co.uk/blog/what-size-heat-pump-do-i-need-for-my-house/ ), where a well-insulated 4 BR house needs c8KW (I’d note also an 8 only has 1 fan (and smaller footprint) versus the 16’s 2 fans, so noise may be lower).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 javiercarrillo

Thanks a lot for the advice. The provider of the "air to air" pump tells me its efficiency is 300% (which is better than the electric heater I have) but I also like the idea of maybe waiting this winter to see how bad it gets.

To confuse myself a bit more: a friend of mine who also lives in rural Wicklow (like I do now) tells me that I might be better off getting a wood/multi-fuel stove as it's cheaper to install and we can get wood/coal for cheaper. This sounds like a nice idea (the fire and coziness of it) however I'm not sure if burning wood/coal is actually cheaper than electricity (no idea about how much wood/coal I'll need to heat a 35sqm space for about 8 hours a day).

Ahhh... owning a house is very nice, but also opens so many questions! 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

I just saw your reply now. I must have missed the notification. Can I ask who you got these quotes off. I'm getting €1000-1200+ quotes (for those that will actually quote)

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I had another look at the invoice,think I was quoted €450 but they only charged €400 for some reason.

details below:

https://eccgroup.ie/

As above I assume they’ll charge me something small once the do another BER after the heat pump is installed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Complete newbie here. We bought a house with a heat pump and underfloor heating. Not that long in the door but its stopped working. Temp on the system is reading 17.8degrees. No one will touch us to come out and even have a look for a service. Finally got a local lad who told me the system is old and the company who made them is gone so unless its a simple service, its a replacement I presume.

What are the costs for just a heat pump unit as I presume I don't need to replace anything else but I hve no knowledge so could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hero25

• Advertisement

That sounds pretty awful! How old is the house/heat pump? What make is it? Is it a one-off house or do all the houses around you have the same system? You'd feel there must be someone who's familiar with that particular heatpump and could troubleshoot it. Replacing with a new one would be expensive. If you're on mains gas it might even be worth considering a boiler even though it's probably viewed as a backward step!

We are fairly rural, it is probably 15 years old. I'm guessing it's been serviced last in 2012 when the original owners sold.

I think it's a multiclima. But there is no branding, just a best guess based on serial number stickers.

A plumber we know is coming over to have a look, he said if it's simple he might be able to sort it.

The only other one who sounded positive about calling out just replied to say if it was anything more than a basic service he wouldn't be able to do anything.

Hopefully you can get it sorted! I'm interested because we're thinking of getting a heat pump but the one thing putting us off is the worry that we'd have trouble with it and difficulty getting it fixed. Having said that if we got 15 trouble-free years from one I'd be happy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I have also found it hard to locate people. One issue seems to be many pumps installed involved a sparks and a plumber. Getting one around and not both may mean knowledge gaps. I eventually found a plumber who used to work with them and does the odd one. He is very knowledgeable, however I am out of his way.

Another issue is the pump is only half the battle of the issue is to do with efficiency- the wider setup can be a big part of any problem; thermostat setup, number of zones, UfH- what level is it at, properly insulated? Type of manifolds, circ pumps, are water circuits balanced. There are lots of variables, some may be unknown if original plans or installer aren't around.

There are many companies who seem to work with a lot of them but are also in the business of selling them. One told me I needed a new one without even looking at mine- he might be right but he seemed quick to diagnose an issue over the phone that two others half scratched their heads at while stood beside it.

I can only assume things will be easier to fix in 10-15 years, pumps hitting 15-20 years now should still work fine but they were earlier models and even finding a manual online can be tricky. As per the post above sometimes been finding out the name of the brand let alone the model is hard.

Unlike solar panels, this is one purchase where it is worth paying a premium for a large company with longevity, or someone very well known for their work with pumps.

😎

Plumber came around, had to ring a fridge guy to talk through the unit but they are both of the opinion it's in good working order. Then rang an electrician to talk through inside the house. Best guess is that it might just be an issue with the controller so he has messed around a bit and is leaving it on to see will it heat. At the minute his feeling is that replacing the controller is the realistic option but it might be fine without it if we are OK with the other settings.

This is all over the phone from my partner as I'm at work but here is hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Hi,

I have a Daiken Althema outdoor heatpump as part of my air to water heating system, aprox 5 years old.

Yesterday the young fella hit it with a football, which caused a leak and all the refidgerant has leaked out.

Can this be reapired or is a new one the only option? Any recommendation for a repair and approximate cost?

I'm in the Mountbellew area of Co. Galway

TIA.

It’ll depend on what has broken. Sometimes the part can be repaired/ replaced and the unit recharged with gas.

if you look on the Daikin ireland site there are a few options there for registered people. I use a guy who used to work for a company in athboy and find him good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

How do ye guys deal with a heat pump during the summer months?

About to move into a new place and just trying to get my head around the heat pump stuff...

UFH ground floor and rads on the second storey...

Imagine in winter, just set the tempostat to 18° and leave it...but when we are out of winter what's the deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Advertisement