Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Remind me again what date the EU invaded Britain and forced them into their union?

Once you give me that date I'll entertain your "comparison".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When the argument tries to Wink and Nod towards that notion of the EU as antagonistic and invasive equivalent to a colonial power? Well, it's lost. Up there with the Brexiteer idiots who tried to frame the EU as Nazis, Stalinists or so on.

Moronic to suggest it at all.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's amazing those who are pro EU genuinely think their opinions are superior, the rest of us are all stupid and they can belittle and insult those who have a different opinion.

They aren't democratic, they don't accept democracy when it doesn't suit and they are completely intolerant.

You'd think lessons would be learned. Brexit was a very tough lesson.

Yet it seems nothing has changed. The EU's most important member left and this should be a wake up call. No?

Anything learned?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,663 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Considering that the EU / EEC was created as a body by the individual states themselves and they were collaboratively responsible for drawing up all of its rules, talk of it being an imperial power is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭steinbock123

The EU’s most important member????

Don’t make me laugh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Most important member" 🤣🤣🤣

When Brexiters say stuff like that it's not hard to think they are stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Britain was the EU's most important member .. ... Ok. Seeing as you can't post memes I won't share the "oh you're serious" meme.

Instead.

Hahahahahahaha.

Wait. I thought the EU was a big Franco-German project? Now it was British from the top down?

No wait wait. Let me guess. The UK was the blocs most important devils advocate, blocking said French and German designs?

The Germans now want an end to national vetoes.

I can take it you'll be out on the front lines when the referendum comes against this.

The UK is the most important country in Europe in terms of defence by the way. Argue against all you want, that's reality.

I'm not even overly pro EU. There's pros and cons to membership, I think the pros outweigh the cons.

You're most definitely anti EU though. So the fact you think you're the rational one in this debate is laughable.

You've also got some sort of Stockholm syndrome when it comes to the UK. Do you have union Jack swimming shorts?

No. Do you have EU flag swimming shorts?

Pointing out the facts is not anti anything. They are simply the facts.

• Advertisement

Leaving the EU doesn't really change the UK position on defense. Most of the EU is in NATO so the UK is still dragged into any way on the EU side.

What you said was stupid and there is no getting around it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The EU isn't a defence union so this is a spectacularly irrelevant argument.

I don't think you've ever posted an actual fact on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Whilst I think your insults aimed at kermit are uncalled for,you really need to work on them.Calling people who disagree with you brexiter,tory or snowflake are tiresome,predictable and unimaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,103 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Might is right, whether you like it or not.

Massive majority in favour of EU membership in Ireland for its entire history in this Country, has always meant that dissenting voices have come a cropper. Sinn Féin have learned that (and still are learning it) to their detriment.

Besides, opinions in favour of the EU in this Country are superior. There is simply no argument for Ireland being better off now, or at any time since joining, by not being in the EEC/EC/EU.

I think your understanding of the EU is betrayed by your opinion that GB were the "most important member"! I'm not even sure what you mean by that, but it'd be amusing to hear it.

Anyway, let's assume you mean something along the lines of the redundant Brexit argument; 'they need us more than we need them.'

That was clearly bollocks from the moment David Cameron was sent home empty handed when he went looking for concessions to redefine British membership within the Union, prior to the 2016 referendum.

Many Brits - most Brits really - failed to grasp the fact that GB was dependent on its EU partners of the time for 45% of its trade. Basically half of everything they made and everything they did. The reciprocal figure at the time was 11%. Its a damn sight less now and the consequences are evident in the financial forecasts issued by the Bank of England last week.

The Covid era economic camouflage is over, its full on Brexit catastrophe now.

Mostly because we told the EU we don't want it and the EU listened to us 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The US is way more than a currency union. It's a federation of States, governed by the same laws. It's a military, political AND economic union.

If it looks like a Brexiter, lies like a Brexiter, and quacks like a Brexiter, then it probably is a Brexiter.

And saying the UK was the most important member of the EU is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,103 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No, I think he means that the UK voted Yes most of the time and it was influential in setting up most of the rules for Brexit including Article 50 and blocking third party access to Galileo etc.

Official EU voting records* show that the British government has voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technically there's this https://www.pesco.europa.eu/ which we participate in. It's one reason we don't need to join NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

Interesting take on the effect of Brexit on the UK economy in the Guardian

Essentially arguing that the problems faced by UK are also faced by EU, that the UK economy is outperforming Germany and finally and i quote

"After six years, the argument for Brexit remains what it always was: an opportunity to look at an under-performing economy in a new light and to do things differently"

I am not sure if Larry Elliott, Guardian economics editor , has always been of this view but it seems contrary to previous editorials from the Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think Elliott has always had a warmer view towards Brexit than most who write for the Guardian.

This piece doesn't strike me as all that persuasive. He points out, reasonably enough, that factors like the pandemic and the invasion of Ukraine have negatively affected the UK's economic performance, plus the UK had economic woes even before Brexit. But, seriously, who questions this? The first half of his article is devoted to demolishing the view that Brexit is largely or exclusively responsible for the UK's current woes. But, since nobody advances that view, it seems to me he is attacking a straw man of his own creation.

The real issue is whether Brexit has also negatively affected the UK's economic performance (not least by limiting the UK's capacity to respond to these other shocks). He addresses this only by recycling quotes from a briefing paper from "Briefings for Britain" which, in a telling mistake, he calls "Briefings for Brexit". The mistake is ironic, because "Briefings for Britain" is a partisan source; it was set up explicitly "for the expression of opinion which believed that the future welfare of Britain and Europe required that the choice made in the 2016 Referendum should be fully and positively carried out".

So what Elliott is doing here is, essentially, recycling views from a partisan think-tank, without comment or analysis. That's lazy journalism, at best.

But even that paper can't muster much more than the fairly lukewarm conclusion that "while there is little evidence yet that Brexit is doing much to help the UK economy, neither is there evidence of much harm". Gosh — think-tank ideologically motivated not to spot harms resulting from Brexit doesn't find "much evidence of harm".

Other views are available. Economist John Springford, working at the Centre for European Reform ("We regard European integration as largely beneficial but recognise that in many respects the Union does not work well") has been running a long-term project comparing the economic performance of the UK since 2016 against the performance of a "doppelganger UK" - a weighted index of comparable developed economies whose performance closely tracked the UK's in the 20 years up to 2016. The idea is that "doppelganger UK" is a proxy for the UK, if the UK had not brexited. Data for Doppelganger UK reflects the impact of Covid, the impact of the Ukraine war, etc. Doppelganger UK has a similar population, similar level of education, etc to real UK. The main difference between doppelganger UK and real UK is that the countries that make up doppelganger UK haven't been through brexit. It's important to note that the components of doppelganger UK, and their relative weightings, were determined before Brexit,, so there can be no suggestion that doppelganger UK was constructed in order to produce a bad result; when they constructed it, they didn't know what result it would produce. All they knew was that it had broadly the same characteristics as real UK, and that it's performance matched the performance of real UK before Brexit.

The project is ongoing — I think the plan is to run it for 10 years, up to 2026. But the results so far do suggest evidence of harm from Brexit so far. real UK's GDP is 5.2% lower than doppelganger UK's GDP. Investment is 13.7% lower; goods trade is 13.6% lower.

Now, perhaps Springford's methodology could be criticised. But if Elliott treated Springford's findings as he treats those of "Briefings for Britain", he would simply repeat them as evidence that Brexit has been significantly harmful. In fact so far as I am aware he has completely ignored them; hasn't written about them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The EU and UK positions on the protracted Northern Ireland Brexit dispute are not “worlds apart” and can be solved, the European Commission vice president Maroš Šefčovič has said.

He was speaking as it emerged that Brussels was about to start testing a live data feed from HMRC listing the precise goods arriving in Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

Ah look at the EU bending over backwards again to accept the technology solution the UK reasonably proposed years ago /s

What drum will the DUP have left to bang now if the UK decides to provide accurate real-time info and it reduces physical checks and delays...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is just a quote. Let's see how things pan out before deciding.

As for the DUP, several of them believe in the Ussher chronology. They'll find something to harp on about I'm sure.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The EU will accept any fudge to get the NIP running as it is designed to do.

Now here is their point. If the NIP works as designed with the EU having real time visibility of what is on every truck, they can use market surveillance (you know the same as used in the SM) to spot contraband, or merchandise that is non-compliant. Of course, anything spotted will raise the chances of further inspections. This will be gradual as non-compliance is discovered.

As for SPS inspections - again it will depend on the result of inspections. The more discovered the more inspections will happen.

But first, get the NIP normalised and operating as agreed in the international agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I found it an extremely disingenuous article, particularly this part;

Over the years, the argument from the anti-Brexit camp has changed. Where once it was “Brexit will crash the economy” it now is “the economy would be performing better were it not for Brexit”.

It is actually the pro-Brexit side that has changed their tune. They spoke of all the benefits of that it would allow but now they can't point to a single benefit and instead say "well at least it didn't crash the economy". In the Brexit campaign, the pro-Brexit side weren't promoting making a generation defining change on the basis that things would stay the same, they claimed that things would be measurably better for making that change. That has not been the case.

While some on the Remain side may have gone overboard with predictions that “Brexit will crash the economy”, most simply pointed out the obvious implications of leaving the trade block. And unsurprisingly, many of these things have come to pass; Brits have lost certain rights in EU countries, they do have to queue longer at passport control, businesses have been hit with more red tape and costs to export, Britain is out of Horizon, Erasmus and other schemes, tade deals have been hard to come by and the USA isn't interested in one with them, it is harder to send refugees back to other countries, etc. Iven all these things, the suggestion that “the economy would be performing better were it not for Brexit” is entirely reasonable.

So there are plenty of negatives to point to, even if the economy hasn't completely crashed. Unless someone can start coming up with some positives soon, and pretty major ones at that, it is clear that negatives outweigh the positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Larry Elliot has been writing this stuff in The Gurdian for years. In a way it's good that the paper gives him this outlet - it would be very unlikely that The Express would give a regular column to a remain supporter. Though also has to be admitted that they don't exactly push his articles to the front page of the website.

Here's an example pre the 2016 vote.

Brexit may be the best answer to a dying eurozone | Larry Elliott | The Guardian

Released on 5th November 2015 Scoping the Possible Economic Implications of Brexit on Ireland

It's interesting to see how some close some of the numbers were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I would rephrase the last part of your post to - "The Covid era economic camouflage is over, its full on Ukraine war camouflage now."

Advertisement