Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very mild again today in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

? I was replying to sleet and snow of my own observations and how the road was flooded which is unusual. It's a general discussion not the technical page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Coldest day here since April 12th with a max of 11.4C , currently 9.3C, felt pretty raw earlier when I was walking with the kids on Dun Laoghaire east pier.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oh, you might have picked me up wrong, my question was open ended - not directed personally to you! Sorry, I could have phrased it better! I should have asked, has anyone else noticed lands nearby new roads flooding more since they were built around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Dazler97

So rainy here in Vancouver, continuous rain since yesterday morning, and strange, warning was till 10:58am not 11 lol

• Advertisement

Just had a sudden high gust of wind here in Vancouver must have been 100km/h power went twice, some transformer was getting hit

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Portweather

Yep I noticed it too. A lot of people put the amount of flooding down to climate change but it may have a small pat to play in it. If you look at the development in ireland since early 2000s. The roof, yard and road area that is gathering water and sending it into the rivers is massive. This usually would have been soaked through soil before slowly being released into the rivers. And without dredging the rivers it's just a disaster.

Definitely, but I would not just say this year; I've noticed this for the last few years. When the rain comes, it tends to be much heavier and in dramatic pulses and bursts. We either seem to be in a prolonged period without any rain at all or one of the many prolonged deluges we are currently experiencing. Nothing in between. We nearly always end up with the same yearly total of rain here but the distribution across the months this year is crazy.

It's hard to even imagine it now, but on September 3 many areas around the city were in drought; the fields were brown and scorched. It's been a strange year for weather in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

fab day here in Cork City - sun shining woo hoo..

I'm off out for a hike

Very defined back edge to the front going over.

A total of 6.4mm from that here in southern Laois, one of the less active ones in recent weeks, thankfully.

Mild out there with temperatures around 11c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Whats left of this ex-Hurricane does not look like much on the charts but will still have plenty of more rain anyway.. all the weather even the smallest wind storms and showers seem much more intense this year...it looks as if the wild atlantic weather we once had is returning..and when the real storms arrive this year they could be worse than ever

Post edited by Hooter23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely day today in Cork, bright, mild, calm. Makes a nice change from the incessant rain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

After the front cleared at lunchtime, a beautiful afternoon/evening in Greystones. 12.8c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely Autumn day. Great day for getting stuff done in the garden. The robin was following me around all afternoon.

It still feels very very mild. We hardly put on the heat at all.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Another lovely afternoon in Greystones. 12.4c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Is it just me or is it a bit mad that there was almost no discussion on the significant tornado in Wexford on the weather forum this week?!

I would have expected at least a few re-analysis charts etc, considering the extensive damage done.

Other times there would be 10-page threads about a wet, windy evening, or a flurry of snow, or (ironically) a thread complaining about the lack of interesting weather in Ireland 🙄

Would have thought so, but there seems to be only a small few photographs of the damage from it and the radar at the time showed a standard enough squall line associated with a cold front pushing through when it happened.

CarlowWeather over on Twitter seems the only source of photographic information as the person running that account lives not too far away from Foulksmills.

The indo has a report, but nothing in the lines of photos or videos. Unfortunately there was no smartphone on the ready to capture it roll through.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Going to open a dedicated thread and maybe we could have a collaborative approach from any posters that are interested in compiling information or insights , I will send a link of the thread to TORRO in due course for their research.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very, very heavy rain in cork city. Going to cause flooding.

There have been named storms that weren't as bad as the weather in Cork today imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Is there any records for the number of double digit high temperatures for a location in a year. Just from my experience living and working close to Casement, I can't remember the last day we would have had sub 13C. Has this year been exceptional for this kind of thing. I know its not a very scientific thing but would be curious to know about longest double digit high streaks in years gone by or records in the form of "most days above x temperature" if anybody has this data.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy spells of rain today here near Tralee, was only windy for an hour or so , blustery all right in the showers.

16mm so far in the manual gauge and still raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This November so far is reminding me more and more of November 2009.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Pretty wild today on the Waterford coast with a spring tide and wind. I see Waterford weather got 68.9km/h @17:50 so it would have been a bit higher at Tramore and ties in with some of the bigger waves and gusts. High tide was at about 4.50 but it was a good 40 mins or so after when it started to peak. Definitely worse than the last named storm.

I'm so jelious of the weather back home, it's snowing here in Vancouver 1c

Officially my first snowfall this winter here in Vancouver

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

The forecast for the next 7 to 10 days looks like more of the same - this is an extraordinary spell, since the 21st of September in the West, there has only been the very occasional day or half a day without heavy rain and wind, the nice settled weather we often get in late September and October never happened.

We're used to phases in the weather and typically 3-4 weeks of heavy Atlantic energy is usually followed by a settled spell, maybe some east winds for a little while. But much like the anomalous May and June, this one just keeps going.

It feels like since about September 2021, we've had a non stop westerly flow, with a very brief reprieve at the end of March and a lovely reprieve in August. And nobody here can remember the last frosty day here, maybe March 2021? Last winter, not one day of frost or ice. Its been an unusual year!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The warmer than average temperature anomaly still remains unbroken after a year and a half. I thought we were on to something in September when the second half of the month turned much cooler but overall the warm first half of September still tipped the balance by the end in favour of warmer than average. October was extraordinary mild and this first half of November could end up record breaking mild.

I don't remember a single frost from last winter, wasn't a flake of snow either. The winter before last was a bit of a tease, a bit more in the way of frost and some dustings of snow for a day or so, but nothing to get excited about.

The winter before that was the PV of Doom winter and that was very similar to last winter, just much more stormy and every bit as mild and not a patch of frost or flake to be seen for the entire winter.

Here in Meath we haven't had any measurable snow since March 2018. Instead the past few winters have been looking on in envy at regular bouts of cold and snow into Greece/Athens. Will this winter be any different I wonder?

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fairly sick of the rain now at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Wednesday night/Thursday looks like a very windy day not a storm but very strong sustained winds...caused by the low pressure out west pushing into the high pressure over europe..we usually get very strong sustained winds from this which can sound just as bad as any storm..sometimes

Advertisement