Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Left wing approved" Joe Rogan alternative

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Translation: I'm full of ****, and can't explain away my terrible reasoning.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lads put away your daggers and pearls. If you’re still confused just give it another read and ask clarifying questions as if you were a pair of adults please.

His friends wife, so a third hand story that turned out to be false and he then admits as much? Not the win you think it is. Contrast that with the complete lack of acknowledgement from the Irish "journalists" who trashed the reputation of the principal of a Carlow school based off an anonymous fake Facebook post.

Woke waffle?

Please exemplify

His friends wife, so a third hand story that turned out to be false and he then admits as much? Not the win you think it is. 

There's no filter between Joe Rogan hearing a rumor, asking no follow up questions about it (his own admission) and spreading that rumor to millions of listeners.

Needs a much better fact checking system. That's not Woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm sure he's all for Bernie Sanders when it comes to bashing corporations, Wall street & big pharma. I'd imagine he's less enthusiastic about Bernie's opinions on taxing the super wealthy, like himself. This is, after all a man who moved to a state with no income tax as soon as he signed a colossal contract with Spotify for the exclusive rights to his podcast.

• Advertisement

But he isn't a journalist. He's a long form chat host. He said something untrue and acknowledged as much. Even newspapers issue retractions and clarifications from time to time, even with an army of subeditors to check them.

Even the amazing Ryan Tubridy has done it.

He's not a journalist but he tries to scoop news with his interviews and his discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Most MCs and such yeah.

So he's not without any obligation to be truthful, but sure he knows that. It's just unfortunate that sometimes certain rumors mistruths escape the shows studio at awfully high velocity. That can happen to anyone with a big stage to speak on. But after this many years of running the show I'd have though the guy in the booth on his laptop wouldn't be the only guy doing any fact checking lol but that's just my 2c. He's certainly no carnival barker, alex jones or tucker carlson type by any means! He's not out looking to spread a narrative or confidently back a lie, so he already sits on more credit than half of Fox will ever have.

That I can agree with.

I'd also add if he researched his podcast to death it would lose much of it's spontaneity and realism and become just another CNN/NBC/FOX clone.

It's the same dynamic that makes the Tommy Tiernan show so much better viewing than the LLS or anything else RTE present as a chat show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Vaush on youtube

I'd also add if he researched his podcast to death it would lose much of it's spontaneity and realism and become just another CNN/NBC/FOX clone.

Got me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see it's up to €20 for a ticket to hear Rich Boy Barrett speak. Isn't that capitalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Apologies. He's not left wing. He's just normal.

A rich privileged privately educated guy posing as a working class hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Rogan is one of the good guys who has an open mind and can think for himself, he will never be accepted by the establishment or the fake news media because he exposes there hypocrisy on a wide range of issues in the same way Noam Chomsky has been shunned for decades now.

Don't worry. He redistributes the ticket sales and his Dail salary after each meeting comrade. Plus he houses 10 Ukrainians.

Not sure I can personally recommend anything to you as I do not listen to a lot of political podcasts and the ones I do listen to have been mentioned already. Aside from Jokko Willink and Blindboy - both of whom I periodically dip in and out of - every podcasts I listen to has been mentioned.

Of the podcasts I have never listened to - and know very little about - The Rubin Report and Breaking points sound like two podcasts that might be worth you checking out to see if they fit your requirements. As I say I know nothing about either but the people who I have heard make positive noises about them tend to be people who's opinion has been good in other areas for me.

But I fear that the more "approved" a podcast is going to be or appear to be - the more of a not stimulating echo chamber of repetition it is likely to actually be. So the more a podcast fits your net here - the less I think you're actually going to like it.

The whole "left/right" thing to me has never been interesting, coherent, or useful. I prefer listening to people - like Rogan himself I guess - who is happy to have positions and opinions that fall all across such arbitrary spectrums. He is liberal on drugs for example - but he is also behind the second amendment and gun ownership and hunting. Which is similar to myself as someone who is very much into the idea of legalizing and regulating a drugs industry well - while at the same time I am happily out once a week showing my 12 year old daughter how to use various archery bows, rifles, and other guns or I am out trying to hunt my own meat etc etc. I also overlap him on a lot of his Martial arts, idea of personal responsibility, and personal health and fitness.

I always love when people think he is an "idiot" because out of the 5500+ hours of content he has produced - much of it while high or drunk or both - they can find 1 or 2 things (like the furries school thing above) that he clearly got wrong. Or the one he laughs at himself a lot about was when he retweeted the claim that Steven Seagal was a Russian Combatant in the war. I have lost count of how many podcasts Rogan himself has called himself a Moron and no one should take his word on anything at all. Useful advice to take on ever the most seemingly intelligent and cogent podcasters!

As if those detractors could talk for 5500 hours in an entertaining and successful fashion and get everything right themselves. As if. :) If I talked for 5500 hours you would likely be able to write whole tomes on the errors I would make and the questionable opinions I hold. Rather than desperately trying to misrepresent his opinions on Ivermectin just to manufacture something to make him look bad. That they have to manufacture so hard to misrepresent him shows just how little material of error and failure he has given them to work with over the years. Perfect? Far from it! He is human and a moron like the rest of us. But he is doing something right if they fail so spectacularly to get something on him.

Not to mention the fact that the whole realm of pronouns and identity is becoming so ridiculous that it often is hard to discern fact from reality, and earnest honesty from trolling, comedy and parody. It's an interesting world indeed where a story about a litter box being installed in a school gives one pause enough to consider it actually might be true. Even on this boards.ie forum I have seen obvious (to me) parody posts being made on many topics and people have taken them seriously. Because more and more it's genuinely getting hard to tell.

Rather than idolize anyone or condemn them - in my old age I have tended towards a more nuanced outlook. I try to take everyone at their best and worst and try to decide if I think the world is a better place with them in it, or worse and the world would be better off without them or will be better off when they die. And on that continuum I find Rogan places quite well on the positive side. Both he himself as a person - but also his podcast where when I have listened to his guest speak for 2 to 5 hours I have gotten such a deep and nuanced picture of them and their reasonings compared to some article written about them or some 3 minute segment on Fox, CNN or Sky.

I actually like his slower monotone. It also lends itself to comedy when he actually makes a joke. He has delivered some funny lines dead pan over the years which I think just made them funnier.

All that said however - his podcast does occasionally lend itself to 1.25x or 1.5x speed listening :) Try it. You might find it makes him more listenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

You don't need validation here. You do you mate and I'll do me. I have issue with rediculous misinformation. But that's just me.

• Advertisement

Misinformation that doesn't confirm your biases. Like the Jussie Smolett "lynching", the Hunter Biden laptop "hoax" or the carlow principal "sexist remarks" ? Do you have issues with those?

I'm not looking for validation, that's for teenagers on instagram.

I've tried all of those. Jocko is a great guy but a bit one dimensional in his guests. Dave Rubin is a very odd character, I used to quite like him, but he is a libertarian to the extent that he once said on Joe Rogan that he didn't think building regs were needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYotqgekKtU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

I find Lex Friedman a poor interviewer, he comes across as not very bright.

Personally I like Sam Harris though he's probably not left enough for some (no conspiracy stuff, anti Trump, but also anti woke) and his range of guests can be a bit repetitive after a while

Sorry, my biases? How would you know what biases I have? I have never interacted with you before. I have literally no clue about any of the polarising nonsense you are spewing nor do I have any interest.

Way to start a thread with a complete concealed agenda. It boggles the mind why people would be so invested in American politics and society from I assume afar like Ireland.

Well I'm not sure I agree with ye there. Make no mistake, lex friedman is a very very intelligent person. I worked in areas very similar to him and I can tell you he knows his stuff.

Plus, considering the number of serious academics at the cutting edge of their field (not talking about Kanye west, but Nobel prize winners), you have to know a considerable amount to conduct an effective interview. I don't think there is a podcast that does it better than he does tbh.

I'm not a Sam Harris fan unfortunately, and it's not because I am a republican or democrat or whatever dichotomy you want to choose. For me, It's because his analysis tends to be quite surface level, and borrowed from scientific advancements. He is of the opinion that science knows all even morality, which he never was able to give any reasoning for. Mainly it's his hate of religion that gave him this bent but anyway, that's another story. But ironically, he treats science as a religion almost, which is an oxymoron almost.

Post edited by NiceFella on

Producer was the line of defense again against unsubstantiated trans-hysteria claims made by a guest. Point for JRE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

Sam's anti religious stance is one of the things I like about him.

I guess some of it boils down to personal preference. And maybe I should give Lex another go, perhaps I just caught him on a bad day or with the wrong guest

Lex is highly academically intelligent. Perhaps his emotional intelligence is a bit lacking. He is quite naïve.

• Advertisement

What are you smoking? I've already said I haven't heard about any of that nor do I care. I simply do not have any time for partizan political nonsense.

Advertisement