Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The end of the Ford Fiesta

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm sure if Ford got the investment and access to drivetrains from the Stellantis group then they would like Opel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Or an Insignia over a Mondeo because you can not get a Mondeo now lol. An Astra over a Focus. A real pity about the Focus as the original was so game changing. The brother had one a 5 door.

They lost there way do with the following generations. I really think once Ford started trying to be VW it all started to wrong for them. They should have stayed to being Ford, innovative and not afraid to rock the boat. They did come out with a few more gems like the S-Max and C-Max and the last two Mondeos but by then it was too little too late.

As for Vans anyone notice the latest VW Caddy is basically a Ford Transit Connect and looks so cheap. It does not look like a VW at all inside or outside. A pity as the Caddy used to be a great little van.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's actually the Transit Connect that is based on the Caddy platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My first car.

I'm sure many people can say that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My work got one of those new Caddy’s and it feels very VW inside, its got the software glitches just like a Golf, infuriatingly counterintuitive touch controls for things like lighting and heating too, and in VW tradition it has a 5 speed box with the 2.0 TDI engine detuned to 75bhp. Couldn’t be more of a VW. They also have Berlingo/Partner/Connect and to be fair the Caddy is miles ahead of those.

Ms

That is good. It does shares parts with the Ford Connect though does it not? It looks very Ford from the rear not VW like at all.

Actually it's the other way around than I thought but I have go say it looks better as a Ford,

The third-generation Tourneo Connect for the European market was released in October 2021 as a rebadged and restyled fourth-generation Volkswagen Caddy.[32]

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So what are Ford dealers going to be selling going forward? Puma, Kuga mustang E and a few commercials? I can understand them getting out of classes that are less popular but replacing them with nothing sounds like a road to oblivion. They really appear to be retracting to a North American only brand now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Me too, inherited a Mk 2 1983 in 1989, had it until 1996. Learned a lot about car internals during its many trips to the local mechanic 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They sell a lot of commercials.

I'm sure some new models will appear too.

I hope so. Wouldn’t like to see Ford disappear. They meant affordable motoring for a lot of people

I suppose if they sell one Mustang E it’s likely more profitable than several Fiestas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

They were in a very odd place in the European market in the late 90's too before the Focus arrived. A terrible line up of aging models.

Bought 2 00 ones back in 2015 from a very elderly couple with the clutch burned out of both for 500 euro. They were planning on scrapping both of them! The first one was a 4 door Ghia with 65,000 mls on the clock, the second one was a 2 door paddy spec withe the 1.3 Endura pushrod engine..... The 2 door sold within days funny enough, sorry i didn't hold onto the Ghia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If that was the lineup, I couldn't see myself getting another Ford.

• Advertisement
    Ms

The first one was a 4 door Ghia with 65,000 mls on the clock, the second one was a 2 door paddy

You mean 5 door. There was no 4 door Fiestas sold here as that would be the saloon version and I am not even sure if there was a saloon version of the Fiesta.

If there was it was properly sold in Turkey and other markets like that.

I know the Renault Clio was sold in saloon form in Turkey. I remember seeing one there.

Anyone know if there was a saloon version of the Fiesta?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yes it was a 5 door Ghia. Yes i've seen a few saloon mk6 Fiesta's in Dubai, Looked like a shrunk Focus saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Seems to be a very flawed and possible uniqe product development / marketing strategy. I'm not aware of any other successful manufacturer announcing the cessation of models in multiple segments without having replacements ready to launch.

It amounts to a retrenchment. It happened with Fiat and look where they ended up. Non replacement of key models is a bad sign. The likes of Hyundai are always launching something new and for good reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it’s another sigh that Europe aren’t the key global market it once was. You can see that in the unpalatable designs premium German car makers are coming out that aren’t to European tastes.

Another factor with small cars that seem to not have been mentioned is this; a car is made up of multiple systems, climate control, safety, infotainment, drivetrain etc. as consumers have become more demanding the sophistication and cost of these systems on a €20k supermini is comparable to that on a €30k small family car, so aside from saving on 100-200kg of steel, why would you even bother building €20k cars now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

It's sad that something as popular as the Fiesta or the Focus disappear from showrooms.

Tbh, I also feel this way about the Mondeo. They were all great cars that I enjoyed driving but the writing was probably on the wall the minute SUVs started becoming a thing, nevermind electrification being much easier in larger vehicles.

I think back to when Ford was in its prime with the MK3 Mondeo, the Fiesta and Focus of that time and the current Focus which, imo, is back on track as being one of the best driver's cars out there. Add to that how I often wondered if they'd take the risk of introducing something like the Falcon from the Australian market - of course they shut shop down there before all of this but it was great to dream.

Are environmental regulations making up a part of the problem? Honda and Toyota still sell petrol models of their current cars abroad without hybrid tech. Not to mention a new model Mondeo in the Chinese market.

My current car is 7 years old which Ive had since new. Three times longer than any other car before it. I can only surmise that I find the car market is boring, dull and stale.

Sure there's an Audi, BMW or Mercedes; but they aren't exactly all that impressive either lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Just to close this off, a friend of mine brought one of their boxes back from the UK for me at Xmas. But despite it saying on their website it works with the Mark 8 Fiesta, it doesn't as that models is not on the list of cars on the box. So it's going back again for a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Surely though a Fiesta should sell in Buenos Aires or Lagos as well as in Europe? Certainly in South Africa I rented a Fiesta and it was grand, and these places should be growing markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Tech_Head

You probably have but have you contacted them to make sure? Wouldn’t surprise me if they were using boxes they already had and newer maps / cars may be on their data base.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

There is a saloon Fiesta in my home town, I think it's from Ukraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I did indeed. When I connected the box to my PC it downloaded an updated d/b of vehicles but still didn't include the Mk 8 Fiesta. It's a pita as I had a friend bring it back with from the UK at xmas & now am waiting on someone else travelling to London who's going to post it for me when they get there.

They still have it on their website saying it works of course. Once I get the refund, I'll see if anybody else is doing similiar.

Have a Ford Fiesta on order with my local dealer. Will be my 4th in a row. Re EVs, yes won't go near them unless I'm forced to. Battery technology will need to vastly improve before I consider one, plus they need to come down in price (alot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think this is the last Ford Fiesta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Well, it needs a paint job to cover all that graffiti, but I'd take it. Love the Fiesta and the Mazda 2 clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Tech_Head

They’re keeping the last two that came off the line. Sad to see it go.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/business/fetch-tissues-today-final-day-ford-fiesta-production

• Advertisement

Sad to see the Fiesta go, was always a great car for learners, retired people and as a second car. I guess it just comes down to margins- they likely make so little money per unit sold vs some of the SUV range and decided not to invest anymore in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ford fucked themselves over with reliability problems. The old Fiestas, MK1 and MK2 Mondeo's would go on forever, then from MK3 Mondeo they started bringing in planned obsolesce. They would just start falling apart at around 10 years old. The bonnet and boot release, window regulators, demisters etc, little but expensive things would all break and the cars got scrapped

The fiesta brought in small diesels and small turbo powered petrol engines with crap gear boxes that drove well for a few years and then blew up.

Advertisement