Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar World Cup 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm not the biggest fan of football but I'd usually watch the quarter, semi-finals and final in the World Cup. When Ireland competed in the tournament I watched every single match we played. Remember the sheer joy of Italia '90 and USA '94 in particular.

Quatar as a venue is wrong on every level for all of the reasons others have already stated. FIFA are rotten to the very core - for them it's all about the (dirty and bloodstained) money and f*ck the fans.

Needless to say, I won't be tuning in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm just saying. We haven't been in a World Cup in 20 years so it would be a pretty big deal here if we made it in again. The media would be talking about it nonstop and the Irish people would be buzzing about it. It might not be Italia 90 but there would be a good bit of excitement over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

even with 48 teams we're not going to a World Cup any time soon, worst squad possibly ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'll probably get into it when it starts but in the weeks building up I usually love reading about the host stadia which leads you down nice rabbit holes of reading about the city, the local club and all the history comes with that.

None of that this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Look at the 2026 world cup. Shafting fans, political decision… USA, Canada & Mexico.. around 5000 kilometres from the northernmost to the southernmost venue… how is it fair to the fans, to have a tournament on different continents. ? Ffs

Well world Cups are usually held in big countries with large populations.

Prior to Qatar that was seen as a requirement for a bid, to have disperesed venues so that as many regions as possible in countries can be involved.

And the group stages are usually setup so that teams for the most part will compete in close enough general area, so fans don't have to travel that far in the early rounds.

In 2026 no team will be playing their first game in Toronto and their next in Mexico City.

And the reason for three countries is the tournament will balloon from 32 teams to 48 so you need more venues and also to spread the cost.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

48 team World Cup is a load of bollox as well, ruining the whole thing by letting these crap teams in that will be beaten 7-0 twice and then feck off home.

Yep.

I'm sure the bandwagon with hitch on but actual soccer fans will know that if your team qualifies in the 30-48 slots you are still sht.

As time goes on Ireland in 88 becomes so much more impressive. I think only a World Cup semi for us could ever top how much of an achievement that was.

Do you mean qualifying? I mean I know the format was different but we didn't get out of the group! Getting there I suppose was an achievement but we had our players playing in the best English teams at the time, that'll never be the case again due to the influx of players from around the world.

• Advertisement

Only 8 teams actually qualified for the tournament proper so it was a real elite. Just qualifying was like a QF now and we came very close to getting out of the group too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If thats the case we might as well never look at a WC or the Euros again because we have zero chance of seeing anything like the success of 1988 or 1990 again.

I'm looking forward to watching it, something to pass the long nights this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Not sure why anyone is surprised. FIFA set a precedent in 1934 and have brought the World Cup to a fair few shtholes since. Spain was picked while Franco was still in charge and Argentina in 1978 wasn't that lovely a place. I doubt Switzerland was that popular less than 10 years after WW2 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I won't watch one second of it.

The hypocrisy of all those players taking the knee, well I guess not all black and brown lives matter, not the 1000s that died building the stadiums anyway.

Na it's not his fault.

We fked it against USSR. Should have won but in typical Irish fashion "we drew"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

Yeah, we should have beaten the USSR

But we were 7 minutes away vs NL. The spin and bounce of the ball defeated Bonner and van Basten was offside! Even at that, I prefer football without VAR.

Anyway I'll be following the WC as I always do, I am not a fan of politics/activism etc in sports.

Qatar should never have got it but FIFA's utter corruption ensured they did.

I don't even like the "Champion's" League - bring back the European Cup!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I won't support it.

I'm not gonna watch a game being played in a stadium which was built on slave labour.

Don't think anyone should either, it's a pity the Norwegian team didn't boycott it like they said they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I will not be watching it but that's no hardship on me because I'm not a big fan.

I can understand why real fans will want to see the games and wouldn't criticise them for doing so.

Just an idea, if people want to register a protest maybe they could post on social media calling out sponsors or contact them directly.

Money talks as FIFA know only too well.

The carbon footprint from this World Cup will be huge too considering it's on in air conditioned stadia in a desert.

And of course the LGBTQIA+ issues.

Didn't Norway only say they would boycott as a joke after they were eliminated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Haaland should have declared for England. He was born in Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Stadiums are all using all solar-powered heat exchanging tech to cool them.

Its only everything else thats wrong with this Tournament.

(Incidentally, the December temps in Qatar average 24C, with nighttime temps of 14C, why the feck didn't they just build them open topped and without aircon?? I was in Semple Stadium in summer '21 in 32C heat and nobody offered me air conditioning!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,000 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The US has suitable stadia everywhere, 3 countries were not required to host a World Cup.

Not travelling far in the early rounds but later rounds ?

48 team competition…nothing but $£$£$£$

World Cup as supposed to be for the best… now it’s about ‘participation’ and a warm and fuzzy ‘ give everyone a chance ‘

We’ve probably seen the last one World Cup country.

as all the news media around the 2030 bids… drum roll… Spain, Portugal & The Ukraine on the one bid ticket 🛫 ..ALL politics. Football fans given two fingers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It was a low point in quality for the English leagues though. As they were stilled banned from Europe at the time anyone who was any good went to Italy, France or Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I heard there's a couple of designated festival areas, where alcohol is served 10am to 5 in the morning, for all the fans to party...

Ya there is one place. Its a rave in the middle of the desert run by Arcadia the "hippies" who do a lot of the the crazy art displays at Glastonbury. Tickets will be £75 for entry.

You also have the fanzone which might be the only place to watch a match on TV. TV rights are so expensive most hotels are reportedly not showing it. Even the team hotels.

I'm loving this new found respect for the LGBTQIA+ community that soccer fans suddenly have.

It's no surprise why soccer has never had a top tier openly gay player seeing as the fans (and many of the players) are such neanderthals.

But now it's all about Qatar and their lack of respect for LGBTQ.

When in reality they are just pissed off that the soccer calendar has been changed for it and it's on in an expensive part of the world that is no crack to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.....and when they spill out of this area and into the main streets?

Perhaps we are lucky ireland didn't qualify this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They have designated 'sobering up' areas too...

I have a feeling it will all be fine. Between the cost to get there, stay there and the price of booze we won't see anything like the numbers of partying fans we usually do. Still seems to be loads of tickets out there.

Probably won't let people walk in or out either. Bet ya it will be shuttle buses from hotel to fanzone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Just stuck €30 on Brazil to win at 4/1 and no odds movement accepted. They are long due a return to world cup success.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Why would the government of Qatar pay? He wasn't working for the government.

Should the Irish taxpayer pay compensation to the family of any foreign worker who dies in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Hopefully thousands of fans like this get their tops off LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Is there a boards sweepstake?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭4shameee

That would give a ridiculous advantage to whatever nation was chosen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Impressive of you to know exactly how each football fan really feels about it despite the volume of posts (here and elsewhere) saying otherwise.

• Advertisement

I'm not claiming to know how each fan feels about it.

But I find it ironic that soccer fans are suddenly concerned about gay rights in Qatar when in reality they would be hurling every gay slur under the sun at a gay player if he were to take the field, or even worse score against their team for their rivals.

That's not to mention the Man City or Newcastle fans who are quite happy to see their clubs bankrolled by regiemes that hardly have great records on these sort of things.

A lot of fans are not hurling any homophobic insults so have no conflict calling out Qatar.

Its this kind of edgelord crap that got the soccer forum sent of to a hidden dimension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

Anything that shines a massive spotlight on all the bs and hypocrisy is fine with me 😂

i'll be watching as much of it as i can

marital arts expert

But you have to admit that the expected reaction from the crowds is one thing holding back a gay player coming out.

I also think that the expected reaction from his teammates is another.

A lot of players are now from the places that would have pretty backwards attitudes to gay people, so the dressing room would hardly be a welcoming place.

The soccer forum got sent to a hidden dimension because of the upgrade.

I used to spend loafs of time on it, it was brilliant for Euro 20/21, then the upgrade came along and now it's lost in Groups without any posts ever appearing on the front page again.

GAA and rugby are not exactly flooded with openly gay people playing the game either so its not a unique soccer problem.

And I doubt the fans that are holding gay players back give a sht about Qatar's record. The anti Qatar stuff is likely from a different set of fans because "soccer fan" is not some hive mind creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It's the first time I find myself having no real interest in an upcoming WC. I might watch some of the knockout games if Germany do well (my wife is German). I think the only way FIFA/Qatar could make this WC any worse would be to bring in compulsory Vuvuszelas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The WC is probably my favourite sporting event but I'm really considering not watching any of this one.

I may crack and give in but right now, I can't in good conscience bring myself to add to the viewing figures.

FIFA are an absolutely despicable organization and I hope this WC is a financial failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The next one will be even worse, they are expanding the tournament to 48 teams, with most of the additional places going to Asia and Africa. Plenty more Tunisia vs Thailand type fixtures. There will be no point watching any of it until about 2 weeks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m looking forward to watching it, and most people complaining will be doing the same thing.

I hope this WC is a financial failure.

But it won't be.

Tbe way these things are run is that the host nation give a whole pile of money to the organization (FIFA) to host the event, then make that money back through, ticket sales, corporate events, merch etc etc.

In most cases national governments guarantee the event.

So if the host nation can't make back the fee they paid FIFA then the government will cover the short fall.

FIFA have already got their money, Qatar has so much money that it doesn't matter to them how much they will have to subside the short fall,vso win win for FIFA and the Qatari elite.

The group stages will be like watching the playoff qualifiers. Won't be any good til the knockouts.

I still think my favourite tournaments were the 16 team Euros. Almost every game was between 2 quality teams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement