Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicaps for 15 holes

Options
  • 03-11-2022 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

In my club for 15 hole singles for the winter handicap is being calculated at 70% of your course handicap. Imy case off 15 I receive 11 shots. The 15 holes is normally the first 15 and the last 3 are all index 11 and lower so effectively I have 8 shots for 15 holes which seems a severe cut?

In my former club they would re-apply the handicap to the course considering the holes out of play ie if you had say 1 shot and the index 1 was not in play you would receive your 1 shot on index 2 etc. This makes more sense to me. If they used this now at my club I would have 11 shots for 15 holes.

How does your club do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

We have a 15 hole card with indices adjusted to suit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There should either be a new 15 hole card created with 1-15 indexes or else it’s a case that you whatever the normal indexes are, if you have 8 shots, it’s the hardest 8 holes you’ll have shots on, irrelevant of index (assuming the normal 18 hole card is being used if that makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, that option is allowed for in the software. You can elect to index the played holes against themselves from 1-15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Have you played more than one of these comps and confirmed you only get 8

I suspect you are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Not singles but twoball rumble which is normally 95% handicap for 18 holes.

Played last Tuesday and received 70% of 14 giving me 8 shots on the holes in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

If you have 11 shots, you take them on the lowest 11 indexes that you play, not the indexes on the `18 hole card. The number of shots you get shouldn't be affected by the indexes of the holes in-play/out of play. It may affect which holes you get shots on though. The scenario described for your old club is the correct way to do it. If you have a card with indexes for the 15 hole course, that works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Holes should be reindexed 1-15 and you should get 11 shots.

are you sure you are only getting 8 shots?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

My Club, 14 holes, 14hole card, index 1-14 . Handicap 65% of course handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Yep. I checked BRS as I entered the scores and only gave me the 8 shots. It's been done this way in my club for years BUT it's only this year they have taken a percentage of your handicap. In prior years you'd have your full handicap but lose whatever shots you had on the 3 holes out of play. This somewhat equated to the correct way but not always.

Both ways are daft and incorrect.

you need to speak with competition/handicap secretary and show them examples of where the problem lies. I reckon it’s just a lack of comprehension at their end.

I recall playing in a 9 hole scramble a good few years ago. We won by a fair bit. But we weren’t in the prizes 🤷‍♂️🤔

they had used full handicaps and not halved them for it being 9 holes …….. I tried explaining but gave up in the end

id recommend you send an email with worked examples showing issues and I’d be surprised if WHS or the R&A don’t have something in their literature about handicaps for reduced hole comps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

The correct handicap calculation for 15 hole competition is 95% of 15/18 of Course Handicap.

My own HI index is 6.9 which gives me a Course Handicap of 8 on my home course.

15/18 of 8 = 6.66 which is rounded up to 7.

95% of 7 = 6.65 which is still 7.

I have shots on the the 7 lowest hole indexes of the 15 holes in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

I am curious as to what is the correct method of calculating the course handicap when playing fewer than 18 holes. We had 16 holes open this weekend which produced an unexpected course handicap for me. Is it the full course handicap or the handicap index that should be multiplied by 16/18?

My handicap index is 8.4 and 18 hole course handicap is 10. Which of the following looks correct?

a) 10 x 16/18 = course handicap of 9 for 16 holes

b) 8.4 x 16/18 = 16 hole handicap index of 7.5. That handicap index gives a course handicap of 8.

I guess WHS doesn't cover rounds other than 9 or 18 holes so neither method could be considered wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

That is how Handicapmaster would calculate it.

Our club play 13 holes over the winter. We mix up the 13 holes which we play so not always the same 13 holes.

Handicap is always the same so it uses the course handicap for the full 18 and multiplys it by 13/18. So option A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

We use HandicapMaster and it used option B. That was a surprise to me as I was expecting option A.

I looked again.

im 15.6 which gives me 17 for the full 18. So multiply by 13/18 gives 12.27 (95% gives 11.66) so I play off 12 whether or not 95%rule is in place.

to work it out other way

15.6* 13/18 is 11.26 index to give a course handicap of 11.99. 95% rule would reduce this to 11.39

so it looks to me like option A for us indeed unless the 95% rule is being ignored then it could actually be either way giving same result

not even sure I’m calculating 95% rule properly at this stage 🤣 is it of exact or rounded figure? If it’s rounded…… then it must be ignored for the reduced holes comps

Advertisement