Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Be even crazier now, pay $8 and you become 'verified' 3rd district of XYZ electoral area and you can start tweeting that poling stations have had a power loss and will be rescheduled for the next day. Another $8 to become the 'verified' governor of the state to confirm that. etc....

Gotta sign off with 'Parody Elections 2022' on the tweets so ya don't get banned. Hopefully people don't mistake that for a typo of parity.

Oh the Russian trolls would have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are you registered to vote in the US?

Here's a 'polling card' in my State

What are you talking about that's supposed to be on there? Because it's not got any information about voting days.

You're also sidestepping the fact that Twitter has a section 230 obligation to remove such content, it's a federal crime to give out false information about when and where to vote.

I'm not really compelling anything here: groups like the NAACP are, and a lot of advertisers seem to have taken the same position, they don't believe Musk is living up to his commitments on election integrity.

The main issue is the blue tick has been synonymous with verified accounts. Now any Tom, Dmitry or Ivan can trick people into thinking they are who they say they are. You see the blue tick and you assume that's a verified account, vetted by Twitter, like actual human verification etc... not just a receipt for $8 payment.

Russia or somewhere could make a cottage industry out of paying Musk for verified accounts and, with no way for Musk to verify any of the paperwork they might send is not complete bullshit, Twitter would still be full of Russian bots, and, Musk would be chilled from suspending their accounts if they amounted to a large enough volume of revenue. Musk could be in the position of not even knowing they were Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

But we don't know if the verification is not happening yet. Were getting talk of added features Unless someone can link to something I missed. Even if it is the case Don't believe everything you read on the internet applies. I mean ffs war of the worlds when it first aired was thought to be real. You cant legislate for stupidity. I assume twitter has taken down that tweet btw ? As overheal pointed out the feds should be calling around to that tweeter.

• Advertisement

Well my bad I assumed its pretty standard. Although that state is not a great example of being voter friendly. I mean why does white need to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kathy Griffin was banned from Twitter for parodying as Musk's account.

Kanye West was reinstated after being strongly and unapologetically antisemetic.

Can the lad with the George Orwell signature on his posts tells us what this demonstrates.

As overheal pointed out the feds should be calling around to that tweeter.

And here's the crux of the problem people need to be at Twitter to pick up the phone. The exact reasons for why advertisers and the NAACP have raised the red flag: they're trying to get in contact with twitter to address these issues - and the calls are going unanswered for longer.

https://wapo.st/3E5wYct

"one of the national party committees said they are seeing hours-long delays in responses from their contacts at Twitter, raising fears of the toll workplace chaos and sudden terminations is taking on the platform’s ability to quickly react to developments. The representative spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the matter’s sensitivity. "

And if that's the story from the national committees what does it mean about unreturned calls from the FBI

You don't need to worry about a verified account. You pay $8 and you get a blue tick. For all visual purposes you appear a verified user as the blue tick has been synonymous with being verified. The blue tick was a twitter trust mark that that user proved they were them etc... that's all gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You get sent to the line where you cast your vote into a trash can.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

That people are deliberately not answering and working to rule probably. Management will get a handle on that And I would support anyone trying to sabotage from inside to be fired.

Sounds about right depressing really. We have people of colour in Ireland I cant remember race being on it. Not voted for years though.

is the one I remember

So nothing to do with half the staff being let go?

I mean that's the obvious bloody reason!

Do you have anything, at all, to back up the assertion that work to rule is why this has suddenly happened after a mass layoff?

Ochams razor says the mass layoff is the problem why here. If Musk has morale problems with how he fired them, that's a decision that stops at the top. And the consequences.

All these megabrands with shedloads money more than Overheal seem to have agreed and jumped ship.

No but it's a fair assumption. The layoffs are huge but that's more to do with how the place was run in the first place. To many people always stood out to me how many for what the company actually does. We can agree to disagree that's fine. If it turns out either way I will hold my hands up.

Also let me put a bit of context on the staffing level. I have worked in the past in a huge USA MNC. Our department was based on Servers, NAS, Backup all that. we had 5 teams of 12 to cover the entire EMEA.

Can't really see the context, are you saying it could have been done with 5 teams of 6 instead?

That was purely for server maintenance.

Zero system development I expect, much less on an application that had billions of engagements per day from millions of users all around the world.

No showing the overstaffing of twitter. No one is reading every tweet that's impossible. You will have bots. Algorithms key words. Then they get flagged. then maybe someone has to manually look at them. One thing you actually need in these companies is a customer care team large enough to deal with the calls coming in. Scrapping the the fat of the likes of human right department all that other stuff is where it seems to be happening. You will only need a core of SW devs, Engineers, R&D. Not a load of people sitting around doing very little. And if you read up on twitter there was plenty of that.

Nope hardware software up to being advisers on how to setup a network Lan Wan all that stuff. You could be asked I have x size company what do I realistically need and talk them through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If they had time to video their days in the office doing next to no work, then it makes sense to have thinned the herd. I am sure there are plenty who were working....likely these are the ones who still have jobs.

Stay Free

We will see after a few months if musk even swung the axe hard enough. Sure I feel sorry for people loosing one of the best jobs ever.

Would that be like say the nurses and doctors videoing themselves during the pandemic, could the health services 'thin the heard' there also?

Or would that cause issues? I haven't seen the twitter staff videos, where 3700 of them vlogging 40hrs a week sitting there twiddling their thumbs?

Sure no one anywhere does any work if you think a handful of videos are indicative of what they are doing 100% of the time.

Stripe, the payment platform had 8,000 employees before recently announcing 15% reduction. Tech companies might provide a lot of perks in terms of less 'formative' work environments but any stories I've heard in that respect are of them being pretty intensive places to work despite that appearance.

Nobody goes in and hacks out 50% of the staff for no reason. It's a Gigantic number. 15% sure reasonable enough. I'm musing here but it's probably people that got premotions to stupid roles. Repeat and repeat. You will have a core staff of Engineers, Devs, R&D. Remember twitter has barely changed from the outset. What would most of them actually be doing. You don't have 1000s of staff reading tweets all day.

No one goes in and cuts 50% of staff on a Friday and publishes a multitude of job vacancies on a Sunday as Twitter seems to have done.

Even without the job ads being posted, cutting so much so quickly once again looks like someone not knowing what they're trying to do unless it's to specifically shut down teams with specific functions as does seem to have been the case.

Asking people to print 50 pages of code, or whatever it was is another example of someone not knowing what they are at.

All true I guess but it's only a tiny fraction being looked for the vast majority will still be gone. So unless it's in the hundreds I don't really see an issue. It could just be that get rid of this team but forgetting some in the team were needed. These things happen. The question on my lips is do People want twitter to fail that leads to a 100% job loss.

The whole thing is bizarre. It seems to now be a personal fiefdom rather than a social media platform.

Can you imagine walking into a very complex organisation, doing something you couldn’t possibly have any in-depth understanding of and firing half the staff and probably causing an atmosphere where many others will just leave, and doing all that in the space or 5 days?!

No corporate take over operates like that. Even if you wanted to make profound and radical changes, you’d begin by spending months (possibly even a couple of years) analysing the organisation and making gentle very careful changes, deploying change management teams and all sort of stuff to avoid damaging whatever it is the organisation does!

He’s also managed to upset the customers -both the end users and advertisers, to the point that there’s a surge of interest in a previously rather obscure open source platform, and the advertisers have paused business!

There is simply no possible way that he, or anyone else outside the organisation, could have a better understanding of what it does and how it does it. It defies any reasonable analysis!

I’d be surprised if there is a Twitter in 6 months if this is the trajectory.

Did the last owner not apologise about how it was run and got into this state ?

• Advertisement

Well unless Twitter was about to be very quickly insolvent, which looking at its last published accounts, it doesn’t seem very likely, it’s way, way too radical and too quick.

I mean what he’s doing looks more like what a liquidator might do to a failing conglomerate.

No organisation can survive that kind of seismic change, and particularly not one that’s based in knowledge economy type sectors. They are a team of people, its collective knowledge, a brand and good will and that’s pretty much it.

This is is like pruning a rose bush with a lawn mower.

He’s going to end up with a brand, and very little else and I suppose if you’ve $44bn to play with on this kind of thing as a hobby …

Advertisement