Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to UK - opening bank account before moving

• 04-11-2022 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I am.moving to UK at end Jan. I tried to open bank account with BOI NI, but it just seemed impossible. Email sent from them re queries but very difficult to get any answer to sort out the queries, that is no newer from the number despite spending ages on the phone each time. I just need yo have a bank account organised, before I go, that I can get my salary paid into. Apparently, my new UK employer won't pay my salary into my Irish band account even with BIC and IBAN. My daughter's and my Revolut are somehow linked and we can't seem to uncouple them. Is there any other online bank that I can organise before I go to have UK salary paid into.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Starling, First Direct, Monzo... you just need to spend 5 min to search this info on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Thanks, Citrus. When I looked at those it appeared that I have to give a UK address, which I sent yet. My employer will be paying for me to stay in a hotel until I get accommodation. I will check again to see if I can open these accounts from Ireland without a UK address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Open a Irish Revolute account and get them to pay into that if you need it. They should be able to pay into it.

You will need a UK address to open an account in the UK. I got my Irish bank to send some statements to my new UK address which allowed me to open an account in the UK. If you are living in a hotel for a bit can you send them to a friend or family member who is based in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

This should help https://www.monito.com/en/wiki/open-bank-account-uk-even-without-proof-residency. As previous poster says Revolut seems to be your best bet. Monese is an alternative. An EU address will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I doubt revolut will be the answer as that's a Lithuanian IBAN.

You could ask if they will pay into a sterling account in Ireland - if so, set up a currency account with Bank of Ireland. It can be done online too.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/save-and-invest/savings/currency-deposit-account/features-and-benefits/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Unlike the EU the UK still uses sort codes and account numbers rather than IBANs for national transfers. Apparently you can get those from Revolut for UK use - that should hopefully keep your employers happy . There's a good chat facility on the Revolute website that I've used before (you don't need to be a customer to use it). That would be my first port of call OP.

Depends on what you want to do with the account. I use a Wise account to get payments in both euro and sterling, and to transfer between the currencies, with an Irish home address. I can get payments directly into the sterling balance using a UK banking sort code. Euro payments are made to a BIC and IBAN in the eurozone, though not in Ireland. I have a contactless debit card which I can also use for online transactions in either GBP or EUR (and it's linked to my Google Pay). The only limitation is that there seems to be a restriction on the total amount of cash you can withdraw in a month - but these days I'm not sure if that's a real hassle. I don't know and I've never asked how Wise would handle it if I moved address from Ireland to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I opened a UK sterling account in Revolut before in seconds. It has an account number and sort code for UK transfers. I can't say 100% this can still be done as they have changed terms so much on everything since I did it years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

a lot has changed since Brexit came into force, but maybe the OP should check. If it gives them a UK sort code, then that's the solution

Advertisement