Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired WiFi extender

Options
  • 05-11-2022 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Anyone have a wired WiFi extender in their farm setup, running in a cable from a dwelling house 50metres out to yard? For connecting cameras etc to outside in the yard.

Would be grateful to know what product you have if so...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

If you have gone that far throw on a switch and wire the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is there a fuse box in the shed? This may cause interference. I’ve used a to-link extender to a switch to feed 2 reolink cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Sorry I thought you ment you had a cat 5 or 6 running to shed but now I'm not so sure? If u have a cat cable running to shed fit a switch and hard wire. If ur for using the power cable with (homeplugs) like TP Link or Tenda it can work but won't be as reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Have a cat 5 or 6 cable running to the shed yea. What do you mean by a switch?

The shed is on a different circuit to the dwelling house so tp link won't work in this scenario I believe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

We have a cat 5 cable running to the shed plugged into ethernet connection on the house box which have then connected into an old wifi box in the shed.that then picks up the wireless camera which we view on phone.we alrrady had a separate fixed camera system on a separate cat 5 cable but it couldnt be viewed off the phone so we put this in for the odd day you have to go away in the spring.it works grand but it kills our broadband so we only plug in the shed wireless when we need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

TP-Link is a brand name of network equipment not a general description of any one particular device. I presume you are thinking of powerline adapters and you are right to avoid in your situation. (Should be avoided in most other situations too except temporary connections IMHO)

A network switch would allow you to hardwire multiple camera's directly to your single CAT5 cable without the need for any Wi-Fi, assumes of course that your camera's have an option of being hardwired to an ethernet network. This is the most reliable setup with least possibility of interference.

A wired Access Point is what you want to extend your Wi-Fi out to the shed, I'd avoid almost all Access Points that have extender in their name as they usually extend your network using the existing WiFi signal or powerlines (neither of which will work for you).

You may already have one if you have an old router lying around from your provider, I'm using 2 old routers as AP's in my sheds you need to be able to login to their management page and turn off DHCP then connect the cable to an ethernet port (Not the WAN Port) and you will have an access point and switch for wired devices in one device. (Some newer devices provided by ISP's may have made this more difficult I've heard)

If looking at outdoor Access Points be careful that they support the same frequencies as your camera's which will be either 5GHz or 2.4Ghz (or both). Some outdoor devices may be 5GHz only and some camera's 2.4Ghz only.

on a quick search these look good brand is TP-Link, More expensive one is faster and supports 2.4 and 5GHz, these are outdoor models, indoor versions are half the price, but that depends on where it is being installed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Waterproof-Installation-Controller-EAP110-Outdoor/dp/B01N4EGN6H/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=outdoor+access+point&qid=1667821563&s=computers&sprefix=outdoor+acce%2Ccomputers%2C80&sr=1-3

Post edited by emaherx on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

It really should not kill your Internet speed unless you are actually viewing the camera feed. Sounds like the camera/s are connecting with video feed completely unnecessarily to some remote server maybe a remote virtual DVR function that can be turned off? or very poorly implemented P2P.

Advertisement